New Micro 9 report - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #1

New Micro 9 report

I found a link on this site for a new SS micro 9 with CT grips for $589.00. I ordered it. Today I signed papers and got to shoot it for the first time.

I took it apart on the counter and could see plenty of oil on the rails, so I decided to try it out.

I had 100 NATO 124 Gr brass case and 50 Browning 115 FMJ.

First shot , the slide went back in slow motion, and forward the same way. It went into battery and the first round was a success. The next one was the same way. I fired the whole magazine with out a problem. The next few magazines worked OK, a couple times I pushed the slide home with my thumb. Not a big deal, its a new gun. After the first few magazines, it perked up and shot just fine.

I tried a few magazines of the Browning 115 FMC. Only one problem. The second round from the magazine popped up and did not go into the extractor groove, so I had the bullet started in the chamber, rear of the case trying to come out the top of the port. I pushed it down and in.
The slide went into battery. No problems after that.

I blame this on a really stiff magazine spring. I ordered 2 spares from Kimber, a 6 shot and a 7 shot. The later one was tough to load all 7 in. The spring was WAY stiffer than the other 2 magazines.

So I fired 80 of the 124 and 15 of the 115 on its first outing.

Its going to be a beautiful shooter.

I bought my girl a Micro Carry 380 with CT grips. It looks just like it, only a bit bigger.

Sights are regulated fine for horizontal Shoots just a bit to the right, will get them moved tomorrow.

Laser turns on when I am shooting. I kept turning it off. It was close to POI, but not right on. I saw no need to mess with it today. Back to the range tomorrow. I have some WW 147 HP, some more 124 NATO, and a bunch of Remington 115 FMJ.

After tomorrow, it gets a good cleaning.

Trigger is stiff. Not the kind that will wear in, the kind that needs a little cleaning up. Lots of Creep and pulls hard. I will check it with my scale tomorrow after another 100 rounds.
Holding the hammer back and pull the trigger shows the sear spring is about right. I can see the sear is only touching the hammer on one side. Not a problem.

It was a good buy.

Pic of my first magazine at 7 yards.

David

I looked at the Sig P938. No laser option. I also looked at the Sig P365. I am not a striker fired guy. I have a full size Target 1911 and a LW Colt Officers Model, and a Sig P238 (380).

Kimber won for a lot of reasons.

Loving It.
Chuck43, Marshall, swca and 6 others like this.

Last edited by David R; 03-20-2018 at 06:30 PM.
David R is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-20-2018, 06:38 PM   #2

Congrats Dave on your new shooter and by the looks of your target you're doing pretty good with the Micro 9 already.

Those mags are a bear to load so if you haven't heard of the UpLula Mag Loader do yourself a favor and grab yourself one.

https://www.amazon.com/Maglula-UpLUL.../dp/B01MQTZVZY

maglula | Tools for loading and unloading magazines
Supertool and Karens like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:25 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Congratulations on the new micro 9. You could help the break in procedure along by sitting with the unloaded gun and racking the slide a couple of hundred times while watching TV.
Marshall, Markie, starnovi and 1 others like this.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:04 AM   #4

Congratulations on your Micro 9. I would do what Chuck recommended.
starnovi likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #5

Nice picture of the target nice shooting how about pictures of the Kimber you used to mess up that paper with?
starnovi likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #6

I had to put it on my permit before I can pick it up. Just left the court house. I am now legal to pick it up and carry it. Pics later today. I am going to fire a couple hundred more rounds today including hollow points. Girlfriend has her micro Carry 380 with her too.

David

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
swca and starnovi like this.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #7

I thought I was the only one who had to waite for guns already paid for!
Hoffbrew likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #8

50 more rounds of NATO 124 grain, 50 rounds of Blazer 115 Aluminum case and 25 WW 147 Gr HP. A few not return to battery and a couple nose dives of the Blazer.

I grabbed my Sig P238 and fired a few magazines. MUCH easier with a 5 lb crisp trigger pull. I could shoot much faster. Its not the recoil either, its the difficulty trying to pull the trigger smoothly.

Took it home, cleaned it, totally disassembled and did some work on the trigger system. I improved the weight by a little, did nothing for the creep. Still pulls hard. So hard, my hand would shake when I was trying to hold on the target and squeeze one off.

Upon disassembly, I discovered one missing grip screw. The rest were loose. Need to order a couple.

When I first shot it, the laser turned on by itself. Now It does not do that, and I can feel the detent .

It shoots a little to the right. The place I picked it up did not have a sight pusher. I gave it a couple taps with a punch, Not sure if it moved or not. Its off by about 5" @ 25 yards.

Girlfriend shot a box of 100 gr rn out of her Micro Carry at 7 yards. I let her shoot the Micro 9. She did fine, but said it had too much kick. Two magazines inside 4 or 5 inches at the same distance.

She also shot her 22 match pistol at a 25 yard Timed fire target for the first time. First target was OK, second target she fired 17 rounds, all in the black.

Pictures later.

David
Marshall and starnovi like this.

Last edited by David R; 03-21-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #9

The SS 9 and little sister.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Marshall, swca and Karens like this.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:50 PM   #10

Originally Posted by David R View Post
Took it home, cleaned it, totally disassembled and did some work on the trigger system. I improved the weight by a little, did nothing for the creep. Still pulls hard. So hard, my hand would shake when I was trying to hold on the target and squeeze one off.
Sounds like a few growing pains. More than likely will wear in nice, but even if not, I'm hoping for the best for you.

Regarding trigger pull, I noticed mine had a little "grit" out of the box. Spent a day or two dry firing after cleaning it and it had worked smoothly by the time it got to the range. Since you've actually fired yours, I doubt this would help too much, but you never know.

I've found that even minor weight/performance differences in the recoil spring sometimes seems to affect perceived recoil quite a bit. Main problem is that most people don't have an extra springs simply laying around to try out.

In the end, a little more break-in might be all it takes for yours to run smoothly. In the meantime, since it's acting finicky, I'd suggest shying away from the NATO ammo and maybe trying to run 147gr brass through it for awhile. Some like to use that as a general break-in practice and others will swear by it. I, myself, never had issue with 115 gr, but it never hurts to try something different if you're having issues.

Last edited by GoCart; 03-21-2018 at 10:52 PM. Reason: typo
GoCart is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber micro 9 break in

kimber micro 9 breakin

Click on a term to search for related topics.