Micro 9, Safety Engages on firing - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #1

Micro 9, Safety Engages on firing

Hello All,
New to this forum. Just purchased my 4th Kimber ... 2 .45s, Micro 380 and now a Micro 9. This is the first one I ever had a problem with. Took it out yesterday and ran about 150 assorted rnds through it (124gr ball, 115gr +P, 115gr +P+, 50 gr +P. Mostly a bunch of old Corbon that I had purchased for my Browning HP. Anyway, everything functioned perfectly, not one malfunction. Except, every 3rd or 4th shot the safety engaged. Tried several different hand positions, changed hands (I'm a lefty) and nothing helped. I saw a couple of references to this issue but nothing recent. I'm guessing it would be best to get an RMA and send it back to Kimber. Surprises me, since I've never had an issue with my others. Thanks.
DrDale55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-09-2018, 01:44 PM   #2

Try to tighten your grip.
bbrovold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois DrDale55. Sorry to hear your having a problem with the safety on your new Micro 9, I'd suggest calling Kimbers customer service.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
Hours: MF, 9:30 a.m.7 p.m. Eastern

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?

Old 04-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #4

DrDale, welcome to the site from Tennessee.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:18 AM   #5

Originally Posted by DrDale55 View Post
Hello All,
New to this forum. Just purchased my 4th Kimber ... 2 .45s, Micro 380 and now a Micro 9. This is the first one I ever had a problem with. Took it out yesterday and ran about 150 assorted rnds through it (124gr ball, 115gr +P, 115gr +P+, 50 gr +P. Mostly a bunch of old Corbon that I had purchased for my Browning HP. Anyway, everything functioned perfectly, not one malfunction. Except, every 3rd or 4th shot the safety engaged. Tried several different hand positions, changed hands (I'm a lefty) and nothing helped. I saw a couple of references to this issue but nothing recent. I'm guessing it would be best to get an RMA and send it back to Kimber. Surprises me, since I've never had an issue with my others. Thanks.
Happens to me too. I'm practicing keeping my thumb moved slightly to the left away from the safety - committing it to muscle memory. Works for me.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:55 AM   #6

Welcome DrDale55. Sorry I didn’t reply sooner, been working 7- 12 haven’t had much time.

My Micro 9 Raptor did the very same thing. It did fool me and got better ( by that I mean less safety engagements) the more shots down range. Problem was I was not the only one experiencing safety auto engage. Seemed everyone the shot my pistol and there were others on the board here that had the same issue. I had near 1000 rnds and several different shooters and still have the safety engage.

Finally after a year I had had enough, called Kimber. Off to Yonkers for a look see. Luckily they were very fast I posted about the trip on the form, seems like a week or so. Only shot it twice since then 250 rnds. Haven’t had auto engagement yet. The safety is now a much more definitive click maybe a little more force to move it is required.

I would say give them a call and have it looked at. May be why the original owner dumped it.
BWozn14k is offline   Reply With Quote