Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Albert.Cairns
  • 1 Post By Chuck43

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2018, 10:40 PM   #1

Are these primer strikes normal?

I recently bought my daughter a Kimber Micro 9 pistol. She was having issues with failures to feed and the slide going completely into battery. We were using Remington UMC green and white box, 124 grain, round nose and also some Underwood XTP, 124 grain +p for her carry ammo. At first, it was 2 or 3 per magazine and after a box or two of the UMC, once per 3 or 4 mags. The 20 round box of Underwood wouldn't go into battery a couple rounds per magazine and the primer strikes were big, round and flat. They were .076" in diameter on a .175" diameter primer. Some of the primer strikes have dimpled primer strike also, that I think are from when she cocked the hammer and refired after the round failed to fire. I have photos of all the spent Underwood cases that I'll try to attach.
Her husband and I both shot the UMC ammo without much jamming, so we did work on firming up her grip. It is the primer strikes on the Underwood ammo that has me wondering how they happened. In case anyone wonders how the ejection pattern was, most of her brass ejected about 8' - 10' to the right but did have about 4 or 5 smacking her in the forehead, hard enough to leave a mark.
She lives an hour away, so I don't have direct access to her gun and I'm not familiar with Kimbers to know what to look for. I figured I'd post my questions here before trying to contact Kimber. Any advice on what to look for or steps to take would be helpful and much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Mic'd primer.jpeg (654.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpeg 20 Underwoods.jpeg (1.35 MB, 44 views)
MrRustyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-27-2018, 07:10 AM   #2

Try some different ammo, and then stick with what works best, I have good luck with federal 124grn. Hst.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #3

Those look quite abnormal to me. Somethings up with the firing pin.
Mini Me likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Before I did anything else I'd break the gun down and clean everything. Pull the firing pin stop, firing pin and spring and clean it. Reassemble and lube the gun making sure NOT to lube the firing pin. Take it to the range and see if that makes a difference.
Marshall likes this.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:32 PM   #5

I would ditch that UMC ammo and try a more mainline brand
Tom Kat is offline   Reply With Quote