• 1 Post By KCJeep
  • 1 Post By gbcvtrsc
  • 1 Post By JC45
  • 1 Post By Double J
  • 1 Post By SNW500Magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2018, 04:01 PM   #1

Finally got a Micro 9!!

Well, after first introducing myself a year ago, I finally was in my LGS when I spied a Micro 9 two-tone that was calling my name! I bought it Wednesday, took it home and field-stripped, cleaned and lubed it that evening and was at the range Thursday for my first shots.

I put about 150 rounds down range, not without frustrations, but all-in-all it was a good day. I fired mostly Freedom Munitions, Speer Lawman and American Eagle 124 gr round nose, and some 147 hand-loads that the nice fellow next to me had hand-loaded. Overall it liked his 147s better.

An issue I had consistently was failure to feed the first round from a full mag. When I cleared the malfunction and dropped the mag, the second round dropped out of the magwell.

Unrelated, it also occasionally failed to lock open after the last round.

It wouldn't feed my Hornady Critical defense 115 grain at all. By then, I decided it was probably getting dirty and I should go home and field-strip and clean it again, which I did. I gave it a real scrub down with high quality cleaners and lube.

It sure is a nice looking pistol and is very accurate, but I need to solve my function issues before I'll carry it.

I love the way it looks and shoots, and I have a second mag on the way. (Kimber can't afford to give you 2 mags with a pricey pistol?).

Did I mention it's pretty?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_164e.jpeg (2.02 MB, 17 views)
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-01-2018, 05:32 PM   #2

Nice looking weapon. Lots of guys on here with M9 experience you will get it settled down.
Bigdog likes this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #3

Congrats. Mine is pretty new also. Great weapon. No advise here on dealing with your issue, though. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigdog likes this.
gbcvtrsc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2018, 06:34 PM   #4

Congratulations on your Micro 9.
Bigdog likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:18 PM   #5

I have the same gun, and mine was nasty from the factory. It was almost like cosmoline on it. I would do more than a field strip, that stuff was everywhere. Pull the hammer, pull the firing pin etc. The only thing I did not do is pull the trigger.

As for not chambering the first round, are you slingshotting it or at least using the slide release and letting it slam forward? If you try to let it close softly, it will typically not go into battery. Also, I ended up polishing the feed ramp, a dremel with a little compound will shine it right up and make things slide easier. Good luck, its a great little gun.
Bigdog likes this.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:59 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Double J View Post
I have the same gun, and mine was nasty from the factory. It was almost like cosmoline on it. I would do more than a field strip, that stuff was everywhere. Pull the hammer, pull the firing pin etc. The only thing I did not do is pull the trigger.

As for not chambering the first round, are you slingshotting it or at least using the slide release and letting it slam forward? If you try to let it close softly, it will typically not go into battery. Also, I ended up polishing the feed ramp, a dremel with a little compound will shine it right up and make things slide easier. Good luck, its a great little gun.
Mine was the same way, and I cleaned it very well before shooting. It was almost like caked lacquer on some of the parts!

And yes, I have quite a bit of experience and do slingshot it and release it...so it wasn’t me, the rounds were nosediving into the feed ramp.

After that range trip I gave it another VERY good cleaning and now have racked the slide about 500 times.

It doesn’t do the nosedive trick when cycling snapcaps or live ammo by hand...so maybe the firing and multiple cleanings have solved the problem. We’ll see when I get to the range next, by which time I’ll have 3 more mags.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #7

Mine was gunky from the factory, FTF the first round. I ran a mag through it and cleaned it up and used the Kimber oil that came with it on the slide. Then I ran a box of.115 grn El cheapo ammo through it. Flawless! And very accurate. Love my little m9.
Tom Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:40 PM   #8

I have the same Kimber Micro 9.
No FTF issues, cleaned pretty well and oiled.
Trying different ammo without issue so far.
It’s real pretty and feels good.
Bigdog likes this.
SNW500Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote