Conceal carrying options - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #1

Conceal carrying options

Hi, I'm new to the forum here an I have a question. Currently, I don't want to carry "cocked and locked." I understand it's safe but for the time being I don't want to. So, I want to carry my Micro 9 will a full mag and empty chamber. I have practiced drawing my weapon, chambering, and firing so for the time being, this is what I want to do. That being said I have a question. We keep our handguns in a safe, chambered, with the safety off. That's how we store them to be ready in case of home defense. When I take my Micro 9 out to conceal carry, I remove the round from the chamber and put the mag back in. Doing that means the hammer is now in the down position. Is that ok to carry it like that? Will it damage the gun in any way? To put the hammer up I'd have to dry fire which I've heard can wear the gun, plus I'd rather not have to do that anyway. When the hammer is already down, I have no trouble chambering a round, so my simple question is, will carrying it chamber empty, hammer down present a problem in any way? I'm assuming it doesn't since "cocked and locked" would have the hammer down anyway. Just want to know if I'm missing anything. Thanks
Jmathesz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Jmathesz1. Every question/scenario you presented comes down to personal choice. Nothing you mentioned will damage the gun in any way, read your owners manual, dry firing will not do any damage. Personally I would not recommend leaving a loaded/cocked gun with the safety "off" even if it's in a safe, put the safety on. As for carrying the gun with an empty chamber let me ask you something. What happens if a situation presents itself where you only have one hand free, how are you going to chamber a round? What happens if you do get the gun out and while trying to chamber that first round it jams? My suggestion would be to practice carrying the gun "cocked and locked" around the house until you get comfortable with it.

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #3

Cocked refers to the hammer back, first.

Second, one in the chamber with the safety off stored, but carried with an empty chamber, makes zero sense to me.

Nineteen eleven types are fine to dry fire.
Originally Posted by Jmathesz1 View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum here an I have a question. Currently, I don't want to carry "cocked and locked." I understand it's safe but for the time being I don't want to. So, I want to carry my Micro 9 will a full mag and empty chamber. I have practiced drawing my weapon, chambering, and firing so for the time being, this is what I want to do. That being said I have a question. We keep our handguns in a safe, chambered, with the safety off. That's how we store them to be ready in case of home defense. When I take my Micro 9 out to conceal carry, I remove the round from the chamber and put the mag back in. Doing that means the hammer is now in the down position. Is that ok to carry it like that? Will it damage the gun in any way? To put the hammer up I'd have to dry fire which I've heard can wear the gun, plus I'd rather not have to do that anyway. When the hammer is already down, I have no trouble chambering a round, so my simple question is, will carrying it chamber empty, hammer down present a problem in any way? I'm assuming it doesn't since "cocked and locked" would have the hammer down anyway. Just want to know if I'm missing anything. Thanks
Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk
Bigdog likes this.
shupe13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #4

Cocked means hammer back. Locked means safety on. Practice carrying it that way with no rounds in the chamber or the magazine around the house and see if you can get comfortable with that.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Tejun and 5 others like this.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:53 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Cocked means hammer back. Locked means safety on. Practice carrying it that way with no rounds in the chamber or the magazine around the house and see if you can get comfortable with that.
Cuca, thanks for pointing that out. Cocked and Locked = Hammer Back, Safety ON.

Welcome to the site from Tennessee.

Get a baseball bat because if trouble comes your way chances are you won't have a chance to Charge your pistol.
Chuck43, bigdog10, Tejun and 1 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Jmathesz1 View Post
To put the hammer up I'd have to dry fire which I've heard can wear the gun, plus I'd rather not have to do that anyway.
Whenever I want to do something and am uncertain, I ask myself why I want to do it. There are legitimate reasons to carry "cocked and locked." There are legitimate reasons to carry "Israeli style." Honestly, if you can't do both effectively, you can't do either effectively. But if you just practice to become marginally competent, you'll be better than most. So in that regard, do what you want.

But the part about dry firing is just nonsense. A LOT of dry firing is great way to learn target acquisition and trigger control. Do it until your fingers are raw. But first learn to be 100% certain whether your gun is loaded or not. It's unlikely that you will ever wear out your Micro 9. It's not impossible, but pretty unlikely.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Loki1967 and 3 others like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #7

Welcome from NC.

I know you feel safer (or more comfortable) carrying with no round in the chamber, but if you'll think along with me, that makes no sense.

There are some basic safety rules that include, but are more specific than the 3 NRA rules. They are: treat every weapon as if it were loaded, always point your firearm in a safe direction, never put your finger on the trigger until ready to shoot, know what is behind your intended target and don't load a firearm until ready to use it.

If you are carrying concealed, you are doing so because if you need to draw it, it is because you think you or someone else is in fear for their life and you have to shoot it. Given that, and the fact that your Micro 9 has a mechanical safety which you have to disengage to fire it, there is no reason to carry it at all unless you are prepared to use it.

Therefore, it should be carried loaded (with a round chambered), cocked (hammer back) and locked (with the safety on) and in a holster that fits and protects it. If you don't carry it that way, there is really no need to carry it all because you don't feel safe with it or trust yourself to operate it safely.

Having said that, it's my opinion and your decision whether you should carry and how.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #8

It's been mentioned, but I'll add a thought for you. If you feel comfortable with a gun in the safe, loaded, safety off, ready for your immediate use, (this means, of course, you plan to withdraw the weapon and either engage the intruder or, worse, carry that unsafe weapon to a location where, presumably, the rest of your family is hiding and be in their presence like that), why would you not feel comfortable carrying your weapon with the safety on, (better than you leave it at home)? In either scenario, on the street or at home, you are going to be excited, anxious, and only in control of some of your faculties. Why do you feel it is safer to carry a loaded, unsafe weapon around your family, than carrying a holstered, safe weapon, on the streets?

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #9

Honestly, if you don't want to carry cocked and locked, you should probably be carrying a different gun- something like a Walther or a Glock, or a revolver.

It makes no sense not to carry a gun in the way it was designed to be carried. It could be downright dangerous. I can tell you from personal experience that no matter how fast you think you can draw and cock a gun, (and leaving personal safety out of the equation), you will never be able to do it fast enough to protect yourself or your loved ones.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:26 PM   #10

Don't worry about the cocked and locked, the gun can't go off unless the triggers pulled even if the hammer magically dropped. It still has two safeties, being the thumb safety and the firing pin safety. I've had the safety on my p938 snick off by bumping into something while carrying. (AMBI SAFETY) And found it that way at night when I took it off. Doesn't bother me as I know it can't fire unless the trigger is physically pulled. Like others have said carry it empty with the hammer back and safety on untill you get used to it being that way. Just remember, you have one more safety than a glock with the chamber loaded and hammer cocked. Something to think about.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conceal carry, hammer, micro 9