• 5 Post By Marshall
  • 2 Post By 2sharp2
  • 4 Post By Webizul
  • 1 Post By Brent
  • 1 Post By Markie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2018, 05:42 PM   #1

New Micro 9 issue (guide rod)

Just purchased a new Micro 9 after going back and forth between it and the Sig 938. The Micro 9 felt better in my hand and I got a good deal on it (new old stock).

Took it out to the range Monday and put 100 rounds through it with no issues. Today I took it out and after 40 rounds, the guide rod broke. I looked down and it was just laying on the bench.

I've seen some info online saying they changed the guide rod, but I cannot confirm that. The version I have is no longer on the Kimber site (black with fiber optic front sight), so if they did change it I suspect I have the old one. It broke right where the rod meets the base.

Any suggestions or advice? I took it back to my LGS and they are getting a replacement for me. Didnt know if the replacement will be fine or if there is an aftermarker version that would be better.
Webizul is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Webizul. Give Kimbers Customer Service a call and they'll take care of you.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
Hours: MF, 9:30 a.m.7 p.m. Eastern

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?
Markie likes this.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome, I'll be sure to post this evening.

I did take it to the LGS and they are getting the new guide rod from Kimber for me. Just curious is this is something to expect. I bought it to be my summer carry. Went on reddit asking for info and most of what I got was "shouldnt have bought a kimber". I really like the pistol, so thought I would come here to get some guidance from people with them.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:24 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Webizul View Post

I did take it to the LGS and they are getting the new guide rod from Kimber for me. Just curious is this is something to expect. I bought it to be my summer carry. Went on reddit asking for info and most of what I got was "shouldnt have bought a kimber". I really like the pistol, so thought I would come here to get some guidance from people with them.
Welcome to KT from St Lou...

It's not always a great idea to go to Reddit for gun info. There are many Kimber snobs online and they will bash the brand regardless if they have ever owned one or not.

I have a couple of Micro 9's and have never had an issue with either of them. The new guide rod will be the same one that the factory puts in them so I wouldn't worry about it happening again.
2sharp2, Tejun, Markie and 2 others like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:27 PM   #5

Welcome to the site from Tennessee.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in Reddit info. Warning: you will run across a lot of Kimber haters and bashers and 97% of them have never owned a Kimber.
Tejun and Wingnut like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:59 PM   #6

Greetings from Texas. Not knowing why your guide rod broke I fell Kimber will take care of it for you. I own two Micro 9s with no problems from then. They are good pistols.
Supertool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #7

My LGS received the new guide rod and spring today. Cleaned the pistol, put it back together and am headed to the range tomorrow. This spring already feels stronger than the last one, guide rod seems the same.

I'll update later on how it went. Thanks for the replies.
Chuck43, Markie, Bigdog and 1 others like this.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:18 PM   #8

My LGS received the new guide rod and spring today. Cleaned the pistol, put it back together and am headed to the range tomorrow. This spring already feels stronger than the last one, guide rod seems the same.

I'll update later on how it went. Thanks for the replies.
Glad to hear that you were taken care of. Now enjoy your Micro 9.
Chuck43 likes this.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #9

Kimber has a great customer service. We love our Little Kimber Micro Carry 380. It had a few problems but has performed flawlessly after they sent me a new spring. Welcome to the forum from a Middle Tennessean. When you need advice, come to this forum first.......
Chuck43 likes this.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

new micro 9 guide rod

Click on a term to search for related topics.