New micro 9 problem - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2018, 10:48 PM   #1

New micro 9 problem

I took my new micro 9 to the range a couple of times now. The trigger pull is so strong I cannot shoot this gun accurately. I pull and pull and then pull some more and it finally goes bang. In the meantime, I start anticipating the bang. I have removed the grips and thoroughly oiled the trigger parts, hammer, sear, and everything else that moves. I brought my trigger pull gauge out and tried to measure the pull. Full range is 8 pounds. I have to pull past the full eight pounds to the gauges stopping point and continue on until it breaks. I'm guessing the pull to be close to 12 pounds. On my other micro 9 it consistently breaks at 6.5 pounds.

The feel is smooth and not gritty. Two hundred rounds have been run through the gun now. I don't think it is friction, I think it is the spring.

Has anybody else measured the trigger pull on the micro 9? I don't want to start stoning things yet so I'll call Kimber tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
starnovi likes this.
DeOlMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-20-2018, 06:05 AM   #2
Super Moderator

A 12 lb trigger would be excessive, I'd suggest you contact Kimbers Customer Service.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
Hours: MF, 9:30 a.m.7 p.m. Eastern
starnovi and Bigdog like this.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:48 AM   #3

My Micro 9, which is less than a month old, has a trigger pull of 5 lbs. on average and breaks quite cleanly. I agree yours has a problem, and it is worthy of a conversation with Kimber.
starnovi and tommy b like this.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:01 AM   #4

Update -

I don't quite know what to say. I decided I would put 500 rounds through this M9 then measure and then call CS. I cleaned it up last night and lo and behold the trigger pull was at 8 pounds. Almost 600 rounds and many dry fires later the pull is no longer excessive. I just couldn't believe this would happen but it did. I guess I am a believer now.
DeOlMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:34 AM   #5

Glad it's getting better! I put about 550 rounds through mine and it loosened up quite nicely (had also put about 100-150 dry fires prior to that). Then, I borrowed my LGS's mechanical trigger pull/weight tool and it was about 4.5lbs pulled from the very bottom of the trigger (better leverage) and 5.5lbs pulled at the center part of the curved trigger. I consistently pull from the bottom of the trigger and it feels very nice.
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #6

Yup, "break-in" is a real thing. I'm not sure what the folks in Yonkers say about the Micro 9 but for the .380 they sat it's not necessary. Seems to defy logic don't it? I believe I'm in the 2500 or so round count wise with mine and I've found EVERYTHING has gotten smoother. I've also found my ugly little plastic Ruger LC9s has "softened" up with range time...
...glad to hear things have improved OlMan :-)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #7

Mine is 4 pounds
JimCunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:06 AM   #8

Plain and simple these little pistols need to be put through the fire and then they seat very well and are excellent reliable pistols. Shoot shoot shoot them until they are broken in like a good trail horse.

That said......I am looking to a EVO SP next for authorized secondary carry with my agency as that pistol fits the policy and procedures with my agency to carry.
mtsheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:25 PM   #9

Originally Posted by DeOlMan View Post
Update -

I don't quite know what to say. I decided I would put 500 rounds through this M9 then measure and then call CS. I cleaned it up last night and lo and behold the trigger pull was at 8 pounds. Almost 600 rounds and many dry fires later the pull is no longer excessive. I just couldn't believe this would happen but it did. I guess I am a believer now.
Well, at least it worked itself out!
DeOlMan likes this.

RIP R. Lee (Gunny) Ermey...
kimbertoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:44 PM   #10

Plain and simple these little pistols need to be put through the fire and then they seat very well and are excellent reliable pistols. Shoot shoot shoot them until they are broken in like a good trail horse.
1+. My Micro 9 trigger pull started out a 10#. I was very disappointed and considered sending it back to Kimber. After prob close to 300 rounds, the trigger pull is now 6.5#.
kimbertoter likes this.
GaryT is offline   Reply With Quote