• 4 Post By Vexmaw
  • 1 Post By DeOlMan
  • 1 Post By Vexmaw
  • 2 Post By loadedround

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2018, 08:08 PM   #1

Micro 9-Need Advice

Hello all,

A while back I bought my wife a Micro 9 SS, and other than a range trip or 2 to make sure it works it has just sat in the safe. She normally carries a Ruger LCR .38sp, but has been warming up to the idea of carrying the Micro 9.

First, I'll say the gun has been flawless. No failures to fire, feed, extract, eject, or lock back on empty mag. It has functioned exactly as it should, and I am very happy with it. This is after about 200 rounds through it. Mostly Remington UMC 115g and WWB 115g. Used 3 different mags.

But... its about as accurate as an ape throwing rocks. At 6-8yd ranges, I can barely hit the 8x8" target. My wife can do a little better than me, but still not where I think it should be. Its hitting about 6-9" low and left of the POA. We have no issues with tight groups out of my Springfield XD-9 Sub and Ruger EC9s. She even gets better grouping with her LCR and my LCP.

What could we possibly be doing wrong? I've tried changing up my grip a bit, and tried a different stance. Tried using different targets, and ran a mag of 124g Golden Sabers (too expensive to keep trying these) to see if it would help. Any advice is appreciated.

I love this Micro 9. Its tough, its tight, its pretty, it functions flawlessly (and has since round #1). I NEED this to work, I cannot afford to replace it at this point. Thank you.

--Vexmaw
Vexmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-15-2018, 10:03 PM   #2

Originally Posted by Vexmaw View Post
its about as accurate as an ape throwing rocks.
You should be holding the pistol SOLID like a ROCK--on target as if an APE is going to try to TAKE it from you. And honestly, if you ever have to use it close up, and ape WILL be trying to take it from you.

Keep your eye on target. Where does the muzzle go as you take the shot? Does it move off your intended bullseye? Then that's the problem.
2sharp2, swca, Vexmaw and 1 others like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:07 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Try using sandbags to insure it's the gun and not the shooter. Once you're positive the it's the gun give Kimber's Customer Service a call and explain the problem you're having.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
Hours: MF, 9:30 a.m.7 p.m. Eastern
Vexmaw likes this.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:41 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice, I have picked up a new box of Remington UMC 115g and I'm heading back in a few hours to try again. I don't have a sandbag/proper rest, but there is an old tree stump in the yard and an old hoodie in the basement. Will post results, hopefully its just operator error.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #5

Took it to the range today, same targets at same ranges. Held it with a deathgrip, from a padded tree stump. It does ok, still not as accurate as I would think. For SD distance (point blank) it would do very well. New problem I had yesterday, and it was more prevalent today: ejected brass flying back and hitting me in the face/head. Had several bounce off the glasses or ear muffs. Now that I have the accuracy issue kinda figured out, is there anything I can do about the ejection issue? Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #6

Sounds like the extractor is a little tight, if you know what your doing you can remove it and bend it a little to the outside. Go in small steps, should hold a case firm so it doesnt fall out with a wiggle of the gun. but not too tight.
Vexmaw likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:21 PM   #7

Follow up:

I called Kimber and explained everything to them. The guy on the phone was quite upset with our Micro 9, I appreciated his spirit.

He promptly sent me a return label. Kimber had it less than a week and had it back on the way to me. Arrived today.

They adjusted the extractor, replaced the ejector, guide rod, recoil spring and the front sight. Polished and reamed the barrel. Included the test fire targets with very tight grouping at 7yd. Have not had a chance to fire it yet, on night shift all weekend.

Very courteous phone reps, very fast turn around on repair and shipping.
Chuck43, Marshall, Tejun and 1 others like this.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:37 AM   #8

Have you taken it to the range to see if Kimber improved the preformance after what they did?
Vexmaw likes this.
DeOlMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #9

Took the Micro 9 to the range yesterday and ran 100 FMJ rounds through it.

Not a single problem. Accuracy is just what I would expect, no casings to the face.

Very pleased with my Kimber and the whole CS experience, and damn glad my wife carries it to defend herself.
Chuck43 likes this.

Last edited by Vexmaw; 09-08-2018 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to loadedround
I had a similar OTB problem with my new Eclipse Target pistol. My pistol had a very heavy trigger pull (6-7 lbs. and gritty) for a target pistol plus a very loose safety Called Kimber, spoke with a very nice CS guy, got a return label, and had it back in less than two weeks. Worked perfectly, Kimber has great Customer Service.
Chuck43 and Vexmaw like this.
loadedround is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber micro 9 recall

Click on a term to search for related topics.