• 2 Post By tommy b
  • 5 Post By 2sharp2
  • 1 Post By JC45
  • 1 Post By tommy b
  • 1 Post By tommy b

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #1

Range Report #2

Went back to the range yesterday to put some more rounds through the Micro 9 and continue the break-in.

Before I went, I polished the feed ramp, the guide rod and the outside of the barrel. To polish the feed ramp I used the bullet shaped buff from Dremel but for the other two items I used my 8" buffer that I use to polish stainless steel trim in car restoration. The result of the polishing was that it seemed to make the action of jacking the slide much smoother. When I get brave enough I'll try polishing the trigger and sear in order to maybe reduce the trigger pull which, at 7#, is to me, somewhat excessive for range shooting.

At the range I put out about a hundred rounds, mostly 147 and 124 grain factory ammo. I also ran about 25 rounds of 115 grain copper plated bullets that I had reloaded several years ago for a Beretta. The Micro 9 ran all ammo smoothly with just one FTE. This FTE was with one of the reloads and when I checked my records I found that this particular load also caused FTE problems with the Beretta. The load was the starting load (lowest amt. of powder), so I concluded that it just wasn't enough powder to move the slide far enough to eject the casing so it's not the fault of the Micro 9.

While at the range, I noticed that one of the grip screws fell out. Luckily, it was on the bench so I didn't lose it. When I got home I found that the other three grip screws were loose also. A little bit of Loctite took care of the problem.

Before cleaning the gun I neglected to read the instructions for the laser grip that said to remove the grips before cleaning. Naturally, I got CLP on the lens of the laser. It made the dot look fuzzy. The best way to describe it is that it looked like my vision when I had cataracts. (You old guys might know what I'm talking about) The swabs that CT provided were useless for this job. I got most of the CLP off by pulling some cotton off the end of a Q tip to get it to a point and then twirling this point of cotton on the lens. Seemed to work well.

So, all in all, I still have no complaints about this gun. I would like to see a trigger pull of 4 or 5# but it is what it is. Kimber states that 7# is normal and I knew this going in so I can't complain.

Sorry to be so long winded but being an ex engineer I tend to write reports in great detail in hopes that someone else will find them helpful.

Tommy b
RustyIron and DaVinci like this.
tommy b is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #2

If you have one of those satin microfiber squares your optometrist usually includes as complementary with your last pair of glasses, use that to clean your laser lens. You can take some eyeglass cleaner and spray on the cloth too, just not on the lens. Apple sometimes includes one of these cloths with their computers.
Kimberleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #3

Thanks. I'll try that.

Tommy b

Old 08-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #4

Grip screws & Loctite= Bad

Grip screws & Rubber O Rings = Good
Marshall, JC45, Bigdog and 2 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #5

Sounds good. Got any idea of o-ring size? I was surprised that there weren't o-rings in it from Kimber. Thanks.

Tommy b
Old 08-16-2018, 08:51 PM   #6

Originally Posted by tommy b View Post
Sounds good. Got any idea of o-ring size? I was surprised that there weren't o-rings in it from Kimber. Thanks.

Tommy b
There are supposed to be included when they ship and are in mine.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #7

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Grip screws & Loctite= Bad

Grip screws & Rubber O Rings = Good
Thanks for the advice. A quick trip to the local hardware store for 4 o-rings, 1/4" o.d. x 1/8" i.d. x1/16" thick at 50 cents each and problem solved.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:14 AM   #8

Here are some I just ordered

- Grip Screw O-ring, 24 pieces #O-GS-24
tommy b likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:12 PM   #9

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
Here are some I just ordered

- Grip Screw O-ring, 24 pieces #O-GS-24
Thanks for the helpful advice. I have them on order. Might as well get the proper parts rather than trying to make something fit. By the way, Brian at Challis Grips was very helpful, courteous, and a pleasure to deal with.

Tommy b
JC45 likes this.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:42 AM   #10

Saturday Doing's

Off to the Tanner gun show to see if there is anything there that I can't live without. LOL!

Tommy b
Chuck43 likes this.