Please Help Me Decide - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2018, 07:21 AM   #1

Please Help Me Decide

I have said on here before that I am in the market for a Kimber Micro 9. Thought was, for my birthday in October or maybe even Christmas. But hubby is always asking me about it, so may move up the date to purchase. I currently have a Shield 9mm and absolutely love it. But it has no safety. I am a new LTC holder and want to begin carrying one with a safety. So, ok...I have read ALL 30 something pages of the Micro 9 section and see the many issues but am forging ahead anyway. Hubby has a Kimber Custom II and carries a Kimber Micro 380 with -0- issues (and the 380 purchased 3/16 still has the old style rs). My question is still wondering about the model micro 9 to get. I know I want a stainless slide but pondering if the extra money for the Raptor is justified over just the stainless model w/rosewood checkered grips.
Wondering because I get irritated when The little 380 (Sapphire) slips around in my hands after getting sweaty on the (hot Texas) range. Thinking maybe the Raptor micro 9 would help but if the stainless with rosewood grips works well with sweaty hands, donít want to spend the extra on the Raptor. Remember, our Micro 380 in Sapphire has rather smooth grips really. Course the goal is a carry weapon (and grips wonít matter) but have to breakin and regular practice on a range. Sorry for the long post but would really appreciate opinions from you knowledgeable owners. Again, just wondering if stainless w/rosewood is good enough for my concerns.
Kimberleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-29-2018, 07:42 AM   #2
Super Moderator

If maintaining a firm grip on the gun in hot weather is your main concern then I suggest you look at the Kimber Micro 9 CDP (DN) with the Hogue Wrap Around Grip.
2sharp2, JC45, Cybercycle and 2 others like this.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:05 AM   #3

My Micro 9 also has a smooth front strap. I ended up getting Hogue wraparound grips to address this. If I had to do it again, Iíd probably get the Raptor. But thatís more for the aesthetic appeal of the slide serrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aribus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2018, 08:27 AM   #4

From another Texan. I have two Micro 9ís one SS w/rosewood grips and one w/Hogue grips. Because the size of my hand I like the Rap Around Hogue but my wife with smaller hands likes the Rosewood Grips. The Raptor is a nice firearm to me with a better grip. Which ever you buy I know you will enjoy.
Supertool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #5

As Airbus mentioned above, the Micro 9 Raptor is a great looking pistol and I will end up with one hopefully in the not too distant future. I did hold a Micro 9 Nightfall (DN) at a gun show a couple of weeks ago and dang near bought it. Price was $499 if I remember right. Loved the TruGlo TFX sights.

I've had my Micro 9 Stainless with Rosewood Grips for two years now and it has not had one issue. I put a set of the Hogue wrap around grips on it and that was a great improvement for having a good secure grip when firing.

I know its a tough decision trying to pick out the perfect one....... maybe ask hubby to get you two or three different models

Good luck.... anxious to hear what you end up going with.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #6

You can buy the Hogue Wrap-around grips for the Micro 9 from the Kimber store for $26.95.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #7

Ha,ha,”ask hubby to get you 2 or 3 different models”. Well, I feel as if he has, in March he began to talk to me about getting a Carry License, so we looked and came across a Shield EZ. Not a brag cause this gun is a great one for beginners, but everything is so easy, I didn’t feel as if I was accomplishing anything, just silly me tho but I just don’t really like it. I did qualify for my license with it, but at that point I was not ready to carry. And no safety other than the grip safety. Then in May, I told hubby I would really like to have a 9mm so we got me the Shield in 9mm. Still not ready to carry, we settled for one w/o a thumb safety because that was all Academy had that day. Hubby has shot revolvers for 50 years, just had semi-Auto for couple of years and doesn’t care about a safety. Now we have gone to the range every 2 weeks since April and I am ready to think about actually carrying �� and (in my mind) I can see the mistake I made getting my Shield w/o ts. I love my Shield, but I sure do like the metal vs plastic that hubby has in his Kimber so don’t want to just get another with a ts. I would sure hope I would like the micro 9 as well as I do the Shield 9mm cause this is it, I will draw the line on three in one year �� and thank you all, so much. I see it clearer now...an SS w/rosewood grips and add hogue grips if needed or pay a little more for the Raptor. I don’t like the darker ones myself. The final decision will just be holding them in my hands!
Kimberleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Kimberleigh View Post
Ha,ha,”ask hubby to get you 2 or 3 different models”. Well, I feel as if he has, in March he began to talk to me about getting a Carry License, so we looked and came across a Shield EZ. Not a brag cause this gun is a great one for beginners, but everything is so easy, I didn’t feel as if I was accomplishing anything, just silly me tho but I just don’t really like it. I did qualify for my license with it, but at that point I was not ready to carry. And no safety other than the grip safety. Then in May, I told hubby I would really like to have a 9mm so we got me the Shield in 9mm. Still not ready to carry, we settled for one w/o a thumb safety because that was all Academy had that day. Hubby has shot revolvers for 50 years, just had semi-Auto for couple of years and doesn’t care about a safety. Now we have gone to the range every 2 weeks since April and I am ready to think about actually carrying �� and (in my mind) I can see the mistake I made getting my Shield w/o ts. I love my Shield, but I sure do like the metal vs plastic that hubby has in his Kimber so don’t want to just get another with a ts. I would sure hope I would like the micro 9 as well as I do the Shield 9mm cause this is it, I will draw the line on three in one year �� and thank you all, so much. I see it clearer now...an SS w/rosewood grips and add hogue grips if needed or pay a little more for the Raptor. I don’t like the darker ones myself. The final decision will just be holding them in my hands!

Sounds like a plan. But have you compared real world prices (like on Gunbroker) between the Micro9 Stainless and the Raptor model, they may not be that far apart money wise. Compare is what I would do and is what I do when there are two almost alike models I'm thinking about buying.
Chuck43 and Tejun like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger

Last edited by 2sharp2; 08-29-2018 at 10:44 AM.
2sharp2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:37 AM   #9

As Arland mentioned, definitely check out GunBroker. There is one Micro 9 Raptor listed right now for $699 Buy-it-Now price with free shipping !
2sharp2 likes this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:45 PM   #10

I like Armslist too. I've had a couple good transactions there. You can search by state and depending on where you are maybe make a legal FTF transaction and save some money that way too.
Tejun likes this.
Krazeehorse is offline   Reply With Quote