New M9 - excessive spring rates, entire weapon - Page 5 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2019, 04:05 PM   #41

I'm 67, overweight, outa shape, and drink too much and I can rack the M9 slide easily. Maybe something is amiss !
AZVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-28-2019, 04:06 PM   #42

You take a lightweight gun, you have to have SOMETHING to limit the recoil travel of the slide. The spring is the only option. Unless you want to keep firing and one day get the slide in your face when it blows off backward after banging any stops away...

I don't find the gun difficult to rack at all and I am 71. Larger guns (IE true 1911's) don't need springs as stiff since the slides have more mass. But the M9 is a really small gun for a 9mm. That's the thing that makes it so popular.
BobHyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:09 AM   #43

Originally Posted by tincansailor View Post
The spring in my M9 is closer to 16lbs.
I'm not sure if this is the case with the Micro 9s?
With the .380s there were lots of inconsistencies with the recoil springs prior to the "flat wire" update. I'm fairly sure they were being sourced from several vendors. Some were even a different color metal? Some failed/deformed within a few hundred rounds? Although the problem has been corrected I keep a few spares on hand, the recommended change interval for the .380s is still 1000 rounds. It's a designed wear part. I'd go ahead and order a few back-ups, you'll need them anyways, and see how they weigh in? If Kimber says it should be #11.5 and yours is #16 that seems to be WAY out of spec?
How does that pistol perform???
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #44

I have a fairly new micro 9. So far I have put around 600 rounds through it. Is shoots well, no problems with trigger, recoil is more than my Hk P30 SK and my S&W MP 2.0 so it’s not fun to put more than 100 Rounds at one time through it.
My biggest issue is that it is very difficult to rack and I am no weakling. At times the serrations actually cut into my fingers.
I have learned to cock the hammer first then it racks much easier. I have sent it back to Kimber but of course they sent it back saying all was normal with this firearm.
I am not happy. Yes it’s pretty but that’s about it.
I’m sorry I made the purchase.

Last edited by Foneman; 03-04-2019 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Foneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:37 PM   #45

Originally Posted by Foneman View Post
I have a fairly new micro 9. So far I have put around 600 rounds through it. Is shoots well, no problems with trigger, recoil is more than my Hk P30 SK and my S&W MP 2.0 so it’s not fun to put more than 100 Rounds at one time through it.
My biggest issue is that it is very difficult to rack and I am no weakling. At times the serrations actually cut into my fingers.
I have learned to cock the hammer first then it racks much easier. I have sent it back to Kimber but of course they sent it back saying all was normal with this firearm.
I am not happy. Yes it’s pretty but that’s about it.
I’m sorry I made the purchase.
I too have an M9 with a spring that’s pretty stout; much more than any of my other pistols. I don’t regret the purchase (yet...), but am hoping that there’ll be some relaxing of the tension over time as I get more rounds through it. Time will tell.
TexasPatriot59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:51 AM   #46

If you think they are hard to rack, try the solo. I have 3 which all are reliable but hard to rack. It comes with the small frame 9 mm. If its too hard buy a bigger gun like the ultra.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:47 AM   #47

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
If you think they are hard to rack, try the solo. I have 3 which all are reliable but hard to rack. It comes with the small frame 9 mm. If its too hard buy a bigger gun like the ultra.
Or a smaller one like the Micro 380.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #48

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Or a smaller one like the Micro 380.
For a 380 my Sig P238 is smooth as silk. Easy to rack, no recoil and very accurate plus easy to conceal. Iíve had a few 380ís, sold them All but this one is a keeper.
Foneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:59 PM   #49

Originally Posted by tincansailor View Post
To remove the locking lever requires holding the slide in the correct position while trying to use a punch to push the lever out far enough to remove it. The slide spring is so stiff that it is difficult to hold the slide in position. The locking lever fits so tight that it requires a punch to get it started.
After cleaning, then comes the most difficult part of all, inserting the guide rod and slide spring.
Agreed.

I've had my Micro 9 for a week, and haven't even shot it yet. But I took it apart and cleaned and oiled it tonight in anticipation of taking it to the range.

I watched several YouTube vids on breaking down the weapon and had the same problems that I put in bold above. It is impossible for me to hold the slide in the proper position with one hand to remove the locking lever. I had to get my wife to punch it through with a pen. It took me about a half hour to reinsert the guide rod and slide spring.

I too found the hammer very stiff the day I brought it home, but I oiled it well and worked it a couple of hundred times and it has loosened up.

I feel confident that after a few hundred rounds through it, the pistol will loosen up and be great. It's about the prettiest little thang I ever seen!!

Last edited by jerry d; 03-08-2019 at 11:24 PM.
jerry d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excessive, springs