New M9 - excessive spring rates, entire weapon - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #1

New M9 - excessive spring rates, entire weapon

I have a new two tone Micro 9, and have been around/using/working on guns for 40+ years. I have handled pistols of many manufacturers, world wide, (including a Tula Arsenal Tokarev among the foreign made ones), but I have never seen any pistol so difficult to rack. Even manually thumbing the hammer into cocked position is tough. It is my opinion that this is the result of lawyers getting involved with the design and manufacture of this weapon. The trigger is also abysmal. I have yet to chamber a round in this thing having won it as a prize in a Friends of the NRA fundraiser. After handling it for a few weeks, I think it could benefit from a reduced rate recoil spring, and likewise a hammer/main spring that is also not as heavy as the factory springs. I am not whining or complaining but giving my opinion. Most single actions are not endowed with triggers that can only be squeezed off by the might Hercules. If my hands were as strong as this weapon requires I would not need a pistol.

Kimber copied the 1980's era Colt Mustang .380 when they designed and built this pistol. I worked on many of these Colts and they are virtually identical in every respect except for the spring rates Kimber has seen fit to put into their production guns. The fit and finish are impeccable, but the whole thing comes down to shootability, and the Micro 9 fails in that critical area. I can't do a weak hand reload with this thing, which makes it useless as a combat firearm in my opinion, and any pistol for carry needs to be easy to load and fire when the pressure is on and you have 7 shots maximum.

I'm not very impressed with this weapon - I had a Daewoo DP 9 that I would trust my life with before I would take this gun to the range. Sure, it is pretty, but if it doesn't work in adverse conditions I don't believe that is a testament Kimber really wanted to put in their customer's hands in a critical situation.
bhunted and RustyIron like this.
RetiredGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-03-2018, 07:54 PM   #2

Well, please don’t take offense, but that’s not my opinion or experience. I’m 70 and I have no problem with retracting the slide or cocking the hammer.

Hope you find a buyer for your Kimber and something you can handle like you want to replace it.
Tejun and StanM like this.

Last edited by Bigdog; 10-03-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:03 AM   #3

I'm 76. Mine racks and cocks easily. I agree that the trigger is abysmal.
All in all, I like it a lot and will like it better when I get the trigger more consistant.
As an aside, with Kimber magazine, it is 7+1, and with a Sig P290 magazine, it becomes an 8+1.
JimCunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2018, 06:16 AM   #4

I have one. I agree on the trigger. If you read my first review, I said the gun was shaking in my hand as I was trying to squeeze the trigger.

The recoil spring is not too strong for the gun. I had a LOT of fail to return to battery at first. By 500 rounds, the pistol was broke in and no longer had that problem. A weaker spring would have made it worse.

In the end, after fixing stuff on my own, I like the gun and can hit well with it.
David
David R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:51 AM   #5

Well then, I must be one of the fortunate few. My two-tone Micro 9 is now two years old, has over 500 rounds downrange without a single hiccup whatsoever. Accurate as h3ll for a belly gun, shoots to POA to it's night sights, completely reliable, and looks good doing it.

My Micro 9 has a rotational place as a summer EDC. My Ultra's get the winter carry chores, and none of these Kimbers has ever failed me.

Oh, and as a COF (Certified Old Fart) at just shy of 72, I'll add that mine is easy to rack with either hand. I did have my smith put a Colt Mustang hammer spring in to reduce the trigger pull to a consistent 4.5 lbs. The little pistol is now a pleasure to shoot.
Tejun and Dadman like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #6

No issues from the box from me as well. Easy to rack with either hand and even my right which is my weaker hand even though I am right handed. I almost lost three fingers on that hand with a machete and had to have surgery to repair nerves; tendons; muscle and months of PT. I have a 20% disability in that hand and no issues with this little KM9.

Just sounds like this gun is not your cup of tea and I would not keep a pistol you would not even take to the range because that is where you find out the definite intricacies of it. Someone would be happy to take it off your hands.....be careful not to make the comment the pistol isn't worth even $500, someone may pull out $500 and see if your word is true! One member here did this to a person on a range when they complained in front of people and to keep his foot out of his mouth sold the pistol to him for that! I got a kick out of that story!

I hope you find what your looking for.
Chuck43 likes this.
mtsheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #7

Originally Posted by RetiredGunsmith View Post
I have a new two tone Micro 9, and have been around/using/working on guns for 40+ years. I have handled pistols of many manufacturers, world wide, (including a Tula Arsenal Tokarev among the foreign made ones), but I have never seen any pistol so difficult to rack. Even manually thumbing the hammer into cocked position is tough. It is my opinion that this is the result of lawyers getting involved with the design and manufacture of this weapon. The trigger is also abysmal. I have yet to chamber a round in this thing having won it as a prize in a Friends of the NRA fundraiser. After handling it for a few weeks, I think it could benefit from a reduced rate recoil spring, and likewise a hammer/main spring that is also not as heavy as the factory springs. I am not whining or complaining but giving my opinion. Most single actions are not endowed with triggers that can only be squeezed off by the might Hercules. If my hands were as strong as this weapon requires I would not need a pistol.

Kimber copied the 1980's era Colt Mustang .380 when they designed and built this pistol. I worked on many of these Colts and they are virtually identical in every respect except for the spring rates Kimber has seen fit to put into their production guns. The fit and finish are impeccable, but the whole thing comes down to shootability, and the Micro 9 fails in that critical area. I can't do a weak hand reload with this thing, which makes it useless as a combat firearm in my opinion, and any pistol for carry needs to be easy to load and fire when the pressure is on and you have 7 shots maximum.

I'm not very impressed with this weapon - I had a Daewoo DP 9 that I would trust my life with before I would take this gun to the range. Sure, it is pretty, but if it doesn't work in adverse conditions I don't believe that is a testament Kimber really wanted to put in their customer's hands in a critical situation.
What is your suggestions to overcome these issues?
DeOlMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
I did have my smith put a Colt Mustang hammer spring in to reduce the trigger pull to a consistent 4.5 lbs. The little pistol is now a pleasure to shoot.
Sounds like what I might be looking for. Do you have a part number or other definitive description that I could look into? Thanks.

Tommy b
tommy b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #9

They are a little tougher than most but I think it will loosen up a bit if cycled a bunch of times. Run some 147 grn ammo through it. These are tight guns and need to be broken in. I had to polish my feed ramp and barrel throat to get mine reliable, now alls fine.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Kimber says the Micro 9 recoil spring is 11.5 lbs, as a gunsmith I'm sure you have a recoil spring scale. Break down the slide and measure your recoil spring, if it's out of spec contact Kimber and get another one.

Tags
excessive, springs