Micro 9 Lasers - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 04:43 PM   #1

Micro 9 Lasers

Who else wishes there were more laser options for the Micro 9?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180817_184250.jpg (1.39 MB, 14 views)
Remove Ads
Old 10-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #2

Not me.

There's only one combat handgun in the house with a laser...my Kimber 1911 TLE RL-II .45 that wears a SureFire X400 weapon light and laser.

IMHO, these little Micro 9's are 'belly guns', meant for close up and personal use as a last ditch weapon, not as a primary combat piece. I really see no reason a person 'needs' a laser on a pistol that is intended for engagements at hand-shaking distances. But that's just me.
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Not me.

There's only one combat handgun in the house with a laser...my Kimber 1911 TLE RL-II .45 that wears a SureFire X400 weapon light and laser.

IMHO, these little Micro 9's are 'belly guns', meant for close up and personal use as a last ditch weapon, not as a primary combat piece. I really see no reason a person 'needs' a laser on a pistol that is intended for engagements at hand-shaking distances. But that's just me.
I have small hands hence I need a weapon with very small grips. You certainly cannot use a large grip weapon that you cannot grip properly. That seems counter productive and kind of dangerous if your in a situation where you need to use it. So what seems to be your choice may not necessarily be a good fit for someone else.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #4

Originally Posted by AlexTDiGiacomo View Post
I have small hands hence I need a weapon with very small grips.
I don't have large hands either so understand your issue. My EDC's range from my Micro 9 to two Ultra CDP's (45 & 9mm). I installed Kimber's "thin grips" on them both, (made from G10) and that made all the difference as these grips reduce the circumference of the grip by at least .180", which for me made them both comfortable and practical.

So the Crimson Trace LG's don't suit you?
AlexTDiGiacomo likes this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #5

[quote=AlexTDiGiacomo;881342]Who else wishes there were more laser options for the Micro 9
There is a trigger guard mounted laser for the sigsauer P238 and P938. The one laser guard fits both models. I wonder if it would also fit the Kimber Micro? I bought the Micro 9 SS with the redwood Crimson Trace laser grips because I'm a fan. Though there is a slight difference in thickness from the stock grips; it's really insignificant and makes it feel more comfortable to me and I have medium/small hands. And as far as it only being a bellygun, I disagree, you can put somebodies eye out at 25 yards with this laser grip. I wish there was a laser grip option for the Sig 938 I would purchase them and install them on my Sig. Kimber wants about $359 for the laser grip just bought separately. So it was a great deal on th SS Micro 9 that I bought for $629 OTD.

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 10-11-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Cucamonga kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
I have a Micro .380 with laser grips. I do not wish there were other laser options for this firearm, which is very similar to your 9mm version. In fact, I don’t even care for the factory laser grips on mine, but I do love the firearm in general.

I have small to medium size hands and my right hand blocks the laser beam if I grip the weapon up high like all the “experts” advise. For me, the activation button is awkward to engage. And last of all, there is little chance any of us will ever need to use our CCW for a defensive purpose, and even less chance the laser will be needed.

So why did I buy the firearm with the laser grips? Because I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. I’ve changed my mind since then (we are allowed to do that aren’t we?). So the bottom line for me is this, no configuration of laser for my CCW would be useful to me.

I have read numerous times that defensive uses of handguns are usually up close and personal, and happen quickly - neither situations that favor the use of lasers. While I do not practice enough using the laser on my Micro, when I have practiced using the laser, my shots are usually less accurate than when I use the iron sights.

Personally, before I would spend the money again on a laser, I think the money would be better spent on range time and ammo learning to point shoot out to 7 yds or so. Heaven forbid, if we are ever in a situation where we need to use our CCW, I imagine most of us will be point shooting, not looking for a red doctor lining up iron sights. Just my biased opinions....
Thanks for your reply. Sounds to me like a lot of it makes perfect sense. Things probably happen so fast you would probably as you say, point and shoot. Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #7

I'm perfectly happy with the Crimson Trace faux rosewood laser grips on my Micro 9. Makes accurate shooting from the hip very quick and easy. I wouldn't mind having a spare.
JimCunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #8

I bought a SIG p238. Loved it. Wanted a P938 with laser grips, but none made. I bought the Kimber because the laser grips. They grips are great, I had a lot of problems with the gun, but have them sorted out now.

I just shot a box of WWB keeping them all on a 50 foot target using the irons . I can keep them on a 25 yard target with the laser.

My Smith and Wesson light weight J frame and Colt LW Officers ACP both have laser grips.

Was shooting steel pins in the evening with the LW ACP. I used irons, but left the laser on. Folks watching liked it.

I like them. No one else has to.

David

Last edited by David R; 10-12-2018 at 06:03 PM.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #9

Originally Posted by David R View Post
I bought a SIG p238. Loved it. Wanted a P938 with laser grips, but none made. I bought the Kimber because the laser grips. They grips are great, I had a lot of problems with the gun, but have them sorted out now.

I just shot a box of WWB keeping them all on a 50 foot target using the irons . I can keep them on a 25 yard target with the laser.

My Smith and Wesson light weight J frame and Colt LW Officers ACP both have laser grips.

Was shooting steel pins in the evening with the LW ACP. I used irons, but left the laser on. Folks watching liked it.

I like them. No one else has to.

David
I had a Micro 9 with laser grips but believe it or not they were a little too big for my hands. Contemplating buying a Micro 380 as the laser grips on them appear to be just a tad smaller than the ones on the Micro 9. Anybody have experience with the difference size in them I would love to hear from them.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #10

I have the micro 9. She has the Micro 380. Both have laser grips. The 380 IS amaller.

Need pics or measurement?

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
David R is offline   Reply With Quote