Losing a Lot of Brass - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 04:40 AM   #1

Losing a Lot of Brass

Iíve looked back quite a bit and havenít found any other threads on my issue.

I shoot indoors, nearly 100% my own reloads. My Kimber Micro 9 tends to shoot the brass forward rather than back, thus ejecting a majority of my brass out in front of the firing line. It does hit the wall, but the ejected rounds tend to a forward motion. Iím guessing up to 60% loss. Iím also shooting a Kahr CM9, a Taurus G2C, a Ruger LCP, and a Beretta 92FS. At worst I lose 5-10% of these rounds.

It doesnít matter whether Iím shooting 115gr or 124gr bullets, whether I load light, or heavy, whether I crimp or not.

Any ideas, or does this need to go back to Kimber?
markr6754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-06-2018, 04:58 AM   #2

Reloads will void your warranty so if you decide to call I would leave that part out.
2sharp2 and mtsheron like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #3

That is strange and I would almost suspect an extractor issue. Mine shoots slightly forward of a true 90 degree ejection in relation to the where the barrel points which is in my estimation normal from my shooting experience over the many years.

But true almost total forward ejection is strange.

Good luck and never tell a gun manufacturer you shoot reloads!!!!! They are a little quirky with such matters.

Last edited by mtsheron; 11-07-2018 at 03:37 PM.
mtsheron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #4

I was thinking about this. Why not just turn around and shoot at the back wall? The brass will pile up by the door and be ready for you to leave.

...oh, there may be a few complaints...
RustyIron and wayne like this.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #5

sounds like it is bouncing off the next bullet coming in...something not right.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:59 PM   #6

Originally Posted by mtsheron View Post
That is strange and I would almost suspect an extractor issue. Mine shoots slightly forward of a true 90 degree ejection in relation to the where the barrel points which is in my estimation normal from my shooting experience over the many years.

But true almost total forward ejection is strange.

Good luck and never tell a gun manufacturer you shoot reloads!!!!! They are a little quirky with such matters.
Naturally Iíd see no reason to mention that...not that it would matter. Iíve had the problem since the first round. I only ran factory ammo when new...decided to try my reloads to see whether I had the same issue. I did! Except that my ammo is significantly more accurate and also substantially lower recoil. Round nose, FMJ, HAP, XTP, plated...it eats everything, no problems there. But I hate losing so much brass. Iím reloading ďto save moneyĒ but savings are lost along with my precious brass.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:29 AM   #7

Does the extractor grab properly if you cycle by hand?
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #8

Originally Posted by markr6754 View Post
Except that my ammo is significantly more accurate
Wow! Maybe you could teach their engineers how to do that ammo.
mtsheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:46 AM   #9

Originally Posted by mtsheron View Post
Wow! Maybe you could teach their engineers how to do that ammo.
ĒTheirĒ engineers know perfectly well how to produce accurate ammo, but they donít tune their loads to my Micro 9. I do...trial and error, and now I have the load that works just as I wanted it. I never meant to imply that I have any special skills, only that I took the time to find the right powder, bullet, C.O.L. and amount of crimp to produce that helps me achieve the greatest accuracy (for me) from my pistol. These same loads shoot like crap out of sonís Kahr CM9.
tommy b likes this.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #10

Okay I’ve been saving my breath not to comment about this topic but I couldn’t help it anymore. Kimber Micro 9 is design for conceal carry not a range gun. I know you’re saving money for reloads but if you conceal and “carry” this for self defense, then you may want to load it with a good factory defense ammo and practice with it. A lot here in the forum complains about their micro 9 not functioning right. Yours works perfectly fine and I would say I won’t be bothered by the brass flying forward. In reality you should be thankful for it for not hitting you in the eyes instead. This is just my opinion, but for me I do invest in my ammo and I practice with it once in a while making sure my Micro 9 is not sleeping with me when time comes. I said I do invest in a good quality ammo just because your life and your family depends on it. Not on the savings you have earned from reloads. But hey that’s just my point. If you’re enjoying shooting your micro 9 with reloads then go ahead and have fun. Make sure those reloads are the same loads you use when you carry coz your accuracy claim depends on it and not on other ammo. God bless brother!
m9_wudlandnyt is offline   Reply With Quote