Micro 9 Front Grip Checkering - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #1

Micro 9 Front Grip Checkering

As I transition back into the 1911 platform, I am looking to carry my Micro 9 more often. However, being the capacity nut I am, it'll most likely be a backup gun. I purchased this pistol at an amazing deal then realized I wouldn't shoot it that much. Now, Im looking to reclaim the value.

I purchased the Crimson carry stainless on a deal for $450 out the door. However, it doesn't have front grip checkering. As I fumble around the grip, I can't help but think how badly it needs 20-30 LPI cut into the front strap. Unfortunately, Kimber won't offer this to me for the Micro series. Has anyone had this done? If so, was it worth it and are there any drawbacks so far? What smith did you find to work on the Micro series and what did it cost you?

Thanks!
Shoot Straight.
Big_Red502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #2

Cutting the checkering would be the easy part but refinishing that same area would be a little tougher. And if you don't re-finish those sharp edges are going to be where you're finish starts to flake off. I bought the same model Micro 9, the stainless steel with the fiberoptic site and Crimson Trace laser grips but the frame is not stainless steel it has the Kimpro paint finish on the aluminum.
IMG_2098.JPG
Big_Red502 likes this.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:24 PM   #3

That is the same model I purchased. Immediately swapped the sights for night sights.

I did not understand the logic behind a laser grip and mostly daytime only sights. I feel that advocates for bad marksmanship rather than attempting to line the front sight up evenly. But then again, this is a self defense pistol. I guess it all depends on the training.
Big_Red502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2018, 07:36 PM   #4

get a hogue wrap around grip and learn how to point aim...hammer operated bullet lasers are great for practicing
Tejun and Big_Red502 like this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:46 PM   #5

Something I am going to look into is a small piece of skateboard tape wrapped around the front strap and tucked underneath the edge of the grips. If it is thin enough I think that would work pretty good and it can always be replaced or removed without damaging the finish.
Cucamonga kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:55 PM   #6

IMG_2099.JPG
Man, that last picture I took made it look like a two-tone ( bad lighting I guess ) here I'll try it again.
Chuck43, PaulWVa and Big_Red502 like this.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Something I am going to look into is a small piece of skateboard tape wrapped around the front strap and tucked underneath the edge of the grips. If it is thin enough I think that would work pretty good and it can always be replaced or removed without damaging the finish.
Hey Kid! instead of skate board tape try getting the sheets of TALON grip material. It's made of the same rubbery stuff they use for their grip covers and can be cut and shaped to any gun frame. I've used it on a couple of 1911s and it works well. I think the sheets are 9x5" and are peel & stick and can be removed. It works well placed just under the grip panels. I can post some pics if you would like.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:07 PM   #8

I should've thought of that. Because I had talon grips on all my polys.
Yeah sure post a picture.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:06 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
I should've thought of that. Because I had talon grips on all my polys.
Yeah sure post a picture.

Here's my two 1911s with the grip tape front straps. Top is a Kimber Target II, 9mm .below is a Colt Competition Model also in 9mm. FYI the grips are Valkyrie Dynamics machined aluminum and the muzzle brake on the T2 is also a Valkyrie item.

Both are exceptional shooters and the aluminum grips offer a hold like nothing else. The TALON grip tape is a nice option to having a bunch of expensive gunsmithing done to your guns. I works well for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Silver guns 002.JPG (1.74 MB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Silver guns 003.JPG (1.81 MB, 29 views)
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:21 PM   #10

I cut some grip tape for the front strap on my Micro 9 as well. Makes for a big improvement.
46QJI is offline   Reply With Quote