Questioning Kimber's Quality Reputation - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

Questioning Kimber's Quality Reputation

So my wife bought me a Kimber Micro 9 for Christmas. (Sweet Lady!)

Upon opening the box, I noticed that the instructions and the adjustment tool for the laser were missing. After a long hold period to Kimber Customer Service, the missing items were mailed to me.

Today, at the range the fiber optic piece in the front sight came out and went missing. The RSO and I both looked all over the floor to no avail. Another call to Kimber Customer Service and another long hold, a very nice lady put a replacement piece in the mail to me.

Anybody else having these annoying problems? This is certainly not what I expected when I heard all the talk about Kimber quality, before the purchase!
rbswelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your issues with the Micro 9. I have two Micro 9ís with no issues but I would of done exactly what you did. Kimber CS has always treated me great over the years. I feel confident they will make it right. Enjoy your new Micro.
Chuck43 likes this.
Supertool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #3

Well, bad things happen in threes so you should be good to go.
Sorry you got off to a bad start with your new shooter but I really like mine and I know that you're going to really like yours.
Chuck43 likes this.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:23 PM   #4

Fiber optic sights flying out is pretty common. It's not just a Kimber issue. I've lost more than one from my Sig and Dawson sights. I just ended up buying multi-packs of three different sizes on Amazon. Cutting and fitting your own is pretty easy.
Chuck43, Jflytle, JC45 and 3 others like this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:49 PM   #5

What Paul said!^^^^^
Chuck43 and PaulWVa like this.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #6

Originally Posted by rbswelder View Post
So my wife bought me a Kimber Micro 9 for Christmas. (Sweet Lady!)

Upon opening the box, I noticed that the instructions and the adjustment tool for the laser were missing. After a long hold period to Kimber Customer Service, the missing items were mailed to me.

Today, at the range the fiber optic piece in the front sight came out and went missing. The RSO and I both looked all over the floor to no avail. Another call to Kimber Customer Service and another long hold, a very nice lady put a replacement piece in the mail to me.

Anybody else having these annoying problems? This is certainly not what I expected when I heard all the talk about Kimber quality, before the purchase!
I would likely attribute the missing stuff to the supply chain rather than the factory......You know that box was opened a few times for a little look..see before you got it....

Lon
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
Teufelhunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:03 PM   #7

Sometimes you just get one that is not quite right. I have the kimber micro 9 and the model 1911 pro carry II and i rank both as some of the best firearms I own. Don’t be discouraged. Kimber CS does quite well keeping their customers happy. Good luck.
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.
VvVvrjrlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:37 AM   #8

Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
Fiber optic sights flying out is pretty common. It's not just a Kimber issue. I've lost more than one from my Sig and Dawson sights. I just ended up buying multi-packs of three different sizes on Amazon. Cutting and fitting your own is pretty easy.
Iíve also had this happen on handguns and my shotguns. I agree itís very common. Springfield includes extra rods in the box when you buy one of their guns with fiber optic sights. This is why I donít like
fiber optic sights for my carry gun. Theyíre great for the range.

I read somewhere to put a dot of crazy glue on the sight so it canít come off but this was a bad idea because when a rod broke on my shotgun I couldnít get it out so I had to buy I new sight.

IMO a Micro 9 is a carry gun and if your going to carry it get night sights. Obviously we all have our our opinions and you have to do what works for you.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Teufelhunde View Post
I would likely attribute the missing stuff to the supply chain rather than the factory......You know that box was opened a few times for a little look..see before you got it....

Lon
Lon,

Interesting thought! I know the box was retaped shut. I believe that Bass Pro added a screw together trigger lock.
rbswelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #10

These seem to all be more minor and aggravating than something dangerous.

For example I bought one of the first SW stainless 9x19mm pistols made. Shot like a dream. I went home, stripped it and started brushing the grit and oil from the inside of the slide. But the brush kept catching on something.

I saw a little line on the exact center line of the pistol, about mid-way under the firing pin. When I got my fingernail on it, I realized it was a crack!

The pistol went back to SW, where I found that had the pistol slide blown apart into two pieces the firing pin might have come back into my shooting glasses. Who knows after that how hard I would have been hit.

Then there was this redhead. Not even Einstein and Yonkers could have fixed her...

(Good luck in future, and that comes from a chronic worrier!)
Bigdog and rbswelder like this.

Tags
quality sight missing