Issue with micro 9 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #1

Issue with micro 9

So this has been going on for a few months now. I have 7 round mags and when I load 7 rounds in, after the first shot the next round nose dives and gets stuck on the feedramp. It has only happened with round nose ammo. I havenít tried flat nosed (the flat nosed stuff I have is a higher grain that I donít enjoy shooting through the micro 9.

Has anyone had this issue? I ask because I happened to catch a YouTube video of another person mentioned that it was happening to them as well.

I believe that if I load 6 rounds in, itís fine.
Camaro45th is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-14-2019, 08:23 PM   #2

First step would be to clean up the feed ramp. But step zero is, did you disassemble the gun, clean THOROUGHLY, then oil liberally before putting back together? If not, start there. If you did clean/oil, then polish the feed ramp. You can either find a 3/8" polishing tool for a dremel, or you can actually use a q-tip, chuck it in the dremel and use polishing compound. Just don't try to crank it up to 20K RPM. Q-tip won't take that.

Just make sure it is thoroughly cleaned of all the gunk Kimber uses to prevent any type of rust/corrosion. Slide, barrel, slide spring / rod. Etc.
2sharp2, Bigdog and tommy b like this.
BobHyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:59 PM   #3

I’d suggest cleaning well and oiling too. I had that problem when mine was new ( after just a normal cleaning), and it disappeared after scrubbing off the hidden crud that is discussed in the other new Micro 9 issue thread.

Also, oil it up and rack the slide 100 times while watching TV, then shoot 124 or 147 round nose for the first hundred rounds.
Tejun and tommy b like this.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #4
mxl

Not exactly the same problem--but similar. When I load 1 round in the chamber and 7 in the mag. [7+1], then fire the round in the chamber, the next round would nosedive. Not always, but I would guess 15-20% of the time. I called Kimber Customer Service and the lady I spoke to said that was normal and to be expected because the Micro 9 is made to such close tolerance and that it should be used only as 7 rounds. So, I am living with it that way and it does function 100% as 7 rounds only. I am not sure I totally buy what she told me. I own dozens of semi-auto hand guns and this is the only one to not function 100% as a +1. However, I do not find anywhere that Kimber is advertising the Micro 9 as 7+1 [or +1 with the 6 and 8 round mags].

My rant being over, I too suggest cleaning, polishing the ramp, and doing some break-in. If the problem continues then send back to Kimber. Please let us know how it turns out.
Tejun likes this.
mxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #5

Originally Posted by BobHyatt View Post
First step would be to clean up the feed ramp. But step zero is, did you disassemble the gun, clean THOROUGHLY, then oil liberally before putting back together? If not, start there. If you did clean/oil, then polish the feed ramp. You can either find a 3/8" polishing tool for a dremel, or you can actually use a q-tip, chuck it in the dremel and use polishing compound. Just don't try to crank it up to 20K RPM. Q-tip won't take that.

Just make sure it is thoroughly cleaned of all the gunk Kimber uses to prevent any type of rust/corrosion. Slide, barrel, slide spring / rod. Etc.

Iíve taken the gun apart numerous times at this point. Iíve cleaned and lubricated multiple times. When I first got the gun I bought 147 and put it through I started to have the issues with the magazine coming out of the mag well.

It odd I almost feel like itís something with the spring tension in the magazine that makes the round face down and get stuck. Maybe if there was an extended feed lip I could install it would rectify it.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #6

Originally Posted by mxl View Post
Not exactly the same problem--but similar. When I load 1 round in the chamber and 7 in the mag. [7+1], then fire the round in the chamber, the next round would nosedive. Not always, but I would guess 15-20% of the time. I called Kimber Customer Service and the lady I spoke to said that was normal and to be expected because the Micro 9 is made to such close tolerance and that it should be used only as 7 rounds. So, I am living with it that way and it does function 100% as 7 rounds only. I am not sure I totally buy what she told me. I own dozens of semi-auto hand guns and this is the only one to not function 100% as a +1. However, I do not find anywhere that Kimber is advertising the Micro 9 as 7+1 [or +1 with the 6 and 8 round mags].

My rant being over, I too suggest cleaning, polishing the ramp, and doing some break-in. If the problem continues then send back to Kimber. Please let us know how it turns out.

Yeah thatís sounds like BS. Donít advertise the gun as a 7 + 1 gun then.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:09 AM   #7

I usually run a Sig P290 8-round mag in my Micro 9 for 8+1 without issue.
I use Win 147gr JHP.

It sounds to me like your mag may not be seating quite high enough (it doesn't take much).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-11-17 09_1547568575471.20.03.jpg (461.7 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by JimCunn; 01-15-2019 at 09:11 AM.
JimCunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #8

Originally Posted by mxl View Post

Amazing what you can find over the internet or via a CS phone call. And you KNOW all of it is accurate.

I ALWAYS carry my micro-9 in 7+1 mode, and it works flawlessly. At the range I usually just fire in 7 round groups since loading the chamber, removing the magazine, inserting one round, then re-seating complicates the firing process. In any case, there is NO difference between carrying 7+1, or just 7 with empty chamber (unless you have some sort of extractor timing issue). Except that with empty chamber you are extra seconds away from being ready to fire/return-fire.

The first day out with mine I fired all sorts of ammo, from 110jhp through 147 (or so) JHP, plus round-nose FMJ, reloads of various weights and bullets, etc. I wanted to throw every curve possible at the gun to see if it would function. It never failed on any of that. I have decided on the 124g Federal HST round that many like, but I also tried the micro version (147g I think) plus Hornady CD and others.

Only difference I found between round types was point of impact. with some lower/higher than others. I found I could adjust the firmness of my grip and eliminate much of that. Only complaint I had with the gun was that the built-in laser grip was pretty useless in daylight. Not that I would use it there but I just played with it at home and adjusted it so that it directly hits point of aim through the iron sights. Part of this probably aggravated with my transition lenses on my glasses as these are a new material that gets really dark, really quick, and even gets to about Ĺ darkness inside my truck where my previous glasses would not darken at all.
BobHyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #9

Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
I usually run a Sig P290 8-round mag in my Micro 9 for 8+1 without issue.
I use Win 147gr JHP.

It sounds to me like your mag may not be seating quite high enough (it doesn't take much).
I wonder if there is anything Icould do to make it seat higher? Again, I wonder if they made a barrel with a lower feed ramp would it rectify it.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #10

first thing i did to my new stainless micro 9 was polish all the contact moving surfaces..slides. bottom of slide where bullets and hammer will ride on..barrel ramp..chamber..spring rod..outside of barrel....ate everything i fed it
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote