Bummed - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2019, 11:24 PM   #1

Bummed

My first Kimber was a full size Grand Raptor ll. Love that gun, It is beautiful & shoots like a 1911 should.

With that in mind, I bought my second Kimber on Thanksgiving day. The Micro 9 SS was another beautiful gun that anyone would be proud to own. That is where the love affair ends. I could not believe how badly this pistol shoots for me. Had I read the comments on this forum, I would never have bought this thing. Seems like everything that has been discussed here is wrong with mine.

I cannot get it to hit POA. The mag falls out while shooting. I painted the sights with floro paint. Put a handall grip on it. Bought 8 round mags. Tried concentrating on my grip & trigger dynamics.

It is now in the hands of the Kimber techs. I hope they can come up with a fix. I cannot in good conscience carry this gun or suggest it to anyone. I have a Sig P238 & a Colt Mustang. Had hoped this one would join those in my carry rotation.

Sorry for the rant, but I am not a rich man & buying a $600 paper weight is not a good thing.
Remove Ads
Old 01-17-2019, 11:43 PM   #2

Hey, Dev.
The Micro 9 is a brother to your P238 and your Mustang. It should behave the same, so hopefully the guys at the factory will adjust it properly for you.

I don't know why Kimber doesn't put top-shelf sights on all their pistols. If they fix up your Micro 9 to be a good shooter, maybe it will be worth it to throw money at the sights. I sometimes carry a P938. It has good sights from the factory, but the Micro is a better looking gun.
JC45 and aqualungs like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:25 AM   #3

I have 3 1911s and all Kimber and very happy with the guns, that being said I learned my lesson the hard way.
Bought a micro 9 as my backup and one the wife can shoot... well she didn't like it, and I couldn't hit a barn with it, and yes the barn is down with the 1911s....
Really believe trigger pull is much higher than advertised, and I just could not shoot it, trigger small size whatever.
But the other side of the coin general public will use this as a pocket pistol and you darn right you want a higher pull!!
So I traded mine for a Ultra and love it. shorter barrel, larger frame great for CC...Ö.
2sharp2 likes this.
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2019, 03:23 AM   #4

In this day and age, a P238 and modern hollowpoints is just as good as a defensive weapon in 9x19mm. You're not going to be shooting the bad guy at 100 yards, more like 100 inches.

My P238 has never had a stoppage, even when it looks like it's been bathed in charcoal.
Cybercycle and DaveinNC like this.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:13 AM   #5

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Hey, Dev.
The Micro 9 is a brother to your P238 and your Mustang. It should behave the same, so hopefully the guys at the factory will adjust it properly for you.

I don't know why Kimber doesn't put top-shelf sights on all their pistols. If they fix up your Micro 9 to be a good shooter, maybe it will be worth it to throw money at the sights. I sometimes carry a P938. It has good sights from the factory, but the Micro is a better looking gun.
I carry my 938 a lot and your right, the sight are good. I wonít say great but they even have a cocking shoulder. I think itís worth buying a gun with night sights from the factory because most handguns that come with them also come with frontstrap checkering which I think helps with these Micro size guns.
Chuck43 and Cybercycle like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:53 AM   #6

Originally Posted by DEVILDOG View Post
My first Kimber was a full size Grand Raptor ll. Love that gun, It is beautiful & shoots like a 1911 should.

With that in mind, I bought my second Kimber on Thanksgiving day. The Micro 9 SS was another beautiful gun that anyone would be proud to own. That is where the love affair ends. I could not believe how badly this pistol shoots for me. Had I read the comments on this forum, I would never have bought this thing. Seems like everything that has been discussed here is wrong with mine.

I cannot get it to hit POA. The mag falls out while shooting. I painted the sights with floro paint. Put a handall grip on it. Bought 8 round mags. Tried concentrating on my grip & trigger dynamics.

It is now in the hands of the Kimber techs. I hope they can come up with a fix. I cannot in good conscience carry this gun or suggest it to anyone. I have a Sig P238 & a Colt Mustang. Had hoped this one would join those in my carry rotation.

Sorry for the rant, but I am not a rich man & buying a $600 paper weight is not a good thing.

I am amazed at how many people buy a Micro9 maybe incorrectly assuming it is just like a 1911 but in fact it's not it is just made to "look" like the 1911 format. I think some of that is Kimber's fault.
I suggest strike a deal with factory, trade up to a real 1911 Ultra, it is really not that much bigger.
Good luck.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #7

Trigger pull on my Micro 9 averages 5Lb 2oz.
Not all that bad.
JimCunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #8

Clearly a smaller gun is harder to shoot. It is more sensitive to changes in grip. It is more sensitive to changes in ammo. The shorter sight radius impacts accuracy. The gun will shoot just fine once the user gets used to handling the gun. It does take practice and effort.

Certainly expecting a micro-9 to shoot like a full-sized 1911 is not realistic. There are trade-offs to create a gun as small as the micro-9. But to say it doesn't shoot well is a pretty big stretch. I only have one sample, so that is what my opinion has to be based on. Seems pretty good to me. Small guns are not for everybody...

If I lucked out and got a good one, good for me. From what I see, Kimber seems to build these things pretty cleanly compared to guns like AKs and such that are beyond sloppy.
2sharp2 and JC45 like this.
BobHyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:56 PM   #9

Different sights might help with faster target acquisition, but if a carry gun for self defense isn't meeting paper punching accuracy expectations I'm curious what those expectations are?

My LCP has among the most useless sights of any production gun. It's trigger is long and heavy, terrible. Frame is so small there is barely enough to hold. This old man with deteriorating eyesight can still hit paper at what I consider more than adequate accuracy for a personal protection carry gun.

What are your expectations of the Micro 9?

7yds offhand.

Chuck43, 2sharp2, bhunted and 3 others like this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 01-18-2019 at 09:16 PM.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #10

Well, got a notification from UPS that the gun is on it's way back to me already. Don't know if that's good or bad. Will just have to wait & see what they found.
2sharp2 likes this.