Micro 9 Safety - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #1

I usually carry my Micro 9 cocked and locked in my front pocket inside an Azula 938 IWB holster. About once a month on average, it moves off safety and is cocked and unlocked when I take it out of my pocket. It's starting to make me a bit uneasy about cocked and locked carry. The holster does have an inboard extension that shields the safety. Any thoughts?

Last edited by JimCunn; 01-22-2019 at 02:41 PM.
JimCunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #2

Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
I usually carry my Micro 9 cocked and locked in my front pocket inside an Azula 938 IWB holster. About once a month on average, it moves off safety and is cocked and unlocked when I take it out of my pocket. It's starting to make me a bit uneasy about cocked and locked carry. The holster does have an inboard extension that shields the safety. Any thoughts?

Carrying in a pocket with an IWB holster? Maybe you are asking the holster to do something it is not designed to do? Maybe get a kydex pocket holster. I have one from https://www.alabamaholster.com/ for my micro .380 and will be getting one for my micro 9. Never a problem and very well made. Do you have an ambi safety? I don't and my safety lever is covered by a hard shell.....

YMMV

Lon
Teufelhunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #3

If you will notice your Micro9 slide safety does not engage the slide like a true 1911 pistol making it easier to be moved.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #4

I have a kydex pocket holster. It doesn't work nearly as well for that as the 938. And the 938, BTW, is very uncomfortable as an IWB, but quite comfortable as a pocket holster.

My 9 has a single side safety.

And yes, it is very obvious when I take them apart that the 9 is different from my .45 1911.
Teufelhunde likes this.

Last edited by JimCunn; 01-22-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:45 PM   #5

I just looked at the holster online. The back of the holster looks like it’s notched out for the safety and there is a picture with a 938 and in the picture it looks like the gun isn’t very snug from front to back. If there is play that looks like it could be a problem. I have never seen one of these holster in person and maybe the picture isn’t accurate. Just something to think about.
2sharp2 likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:20 PM   #6

I simply carry mine loose in my right front jeans pocket in C1 and I have never found the safety disengaged. Mine has a nicely firm detent in the safe position that nothing I have done so far has moved it...

I don't use a holster in my pocket, too bulky. The gun is pretty nicely streamlined, and in C1 the hammer spur is buried anyway...
BobHyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:23 PM   #7

"and in the picture it looks like the gun isn’t very snug from front to back. If there is play that looks like it could be a problem".

And a good thought it is. The holster is boned to clear the safety, and there IS some fore to aft play. Rocking the holster fore and aft against the gun doesn't appear to place a load on the safety, but I will tighten it up f&a, and keep an eye on that as a possible issue. Thanks.
JC45 likes this.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:30 PM   #8

"I simply carry mine loose in my right front jeans pocket in C1 and I have never found the safety disengaged".

Done it twice to me when loose carrying in my pocket - which is why I started using the holster. Other than that, I prefer loose carrying. I agree about the hammer. That said, due to the way I hold when drawing, hammer snag isn't a problem for loose carry with my 637 either.

I usually wear cheap khaki George trousers from Walmart because of their large pockets. They sometimes need a bit of reinforcing stitching in the pockets though.

Last edited by JimCunn; 01-22-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:07 PM   #9

You asked, so I'll type.

First, I don't like to carry a single action pistol in my pocket. I like a long trigger pull on a gun that I put in a front pocket. In my mind, pocket carry is a little bush league. But I do it a LOT.

Almost always I'll carry the pocket gun in a proper pocket holster. I have a TT Gunleather and a Desantis that work reasonably well. I'd NEVER carry a pistol with a round chambered without a holster. If I carry a gun loose, it's always Israeli style.

The position of the safety on your gun is controlled by a plunger and detent. Envision a pointy conical hole, with a spring-loaded pin that goes in it. If your goal is to make the "click" stronger, there are a couple ways you can go. The easiest might be to get a teeny pin of the correct diameter, and put it beneath the plunger spring, to add more preload. Use drill rod for this application. You'll need to grind it to the right length. Grinding such a small pin might be a challenge. Finding a stronger spring might prove to be a challenge. The other option is to re-drill the detent deeper. If you don't know how to go about that, best forget about it.

First get a proper holster and see how that works.
Chuck43 likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:23 PM   #10

Thanks, Rusty. I actually prefer SA, but it is a bit awkward rapidly cocking autos vs revolvers.

This safety has a good 'feel' as is, so I'd rather not modify it - yet.

At the moment, just looking for a more secure, comfortable holster (which may be an oxymoron). And suggestions such as yours of course.

I've got several DeSantis Nemesis pocket holsters, but don't really like them. I'll take a look at the TT.

I'm comfortable doing my own smithing.
RustyIron likes this.

Search tags for this page

adding ambi safety to kimber micro carry

Click on a term to search for related topics.