Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 2sharp2
  • 1 Post By DaVinci
  • 1 Post By BCD 45
  • 1 Post By Tihsepa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #1

New Owner with some issues

Hi everyone. I recently bought a Micro 9 STG brand new, this is the first firearm that I’ve ever bought. I did inherit 9 firearms from my father 7 years ago but this is my first purchase. When I got the Kimber home I field stripped it and cleaned/lubed, made sure things looked right. First day at the range I bought 100 rounds of Winchester white box 124 Grain and all of those shot without a single issue. The fiber optic sight came off so I went ahead and put a new one on after watching some YouTube videos. I also cleaned the firearm well, the white box windchester is extremely dirty.

I went to the range for a 2nd time and I ended up buying some Remington 124 grain and boy did that give me some issues. Out of 100 rounds I probably had 8-10 failure to eject the spent casings. All of them would be in the chamber still after shooting. I then decided to try out some lawman 147 grain( 50 Rounds) because that’s what they had at the range and that shot much better, but I had a few failure to battery on a few for the first round in the mag. After 150 rounds at the range I decided to take it back home clean it and do some research. I did find some info on the extractor on these and how many users online state it was very loose. I found the test that can be done on 1911s and boy was mine loose. I wouldn’t even come near to holding the empty case. I tightened that down and cleaned it well. The fiber optic also fell out again at the range for the 2nd time. Again I followed a video on putting a new one in using a soldering iron and make the ends mushroom, not sure if I’m not doing it well or not but jeez.

Today I take it to the range for the 3rd time. I shot 50 rounds of the Remington 124 grain ( aka the problem rounds) and only had one issue with the spent shell not ejecting. All the other 49 casings flew out, like almost too far. I probably tightened the extractor too much, I’ll fix that. I then shot 50 rounds of the lawman 147 grain and didn’t have a single issue. No feeding issues or ejecting issues. Like I said I’ll probably loosen the extractor a bit to stop all of this brass flying around. Also the fiber optic came off again. - this is really annoying. I’m sure I’m doing that wrong or something.

Any suggestions? I’ve heard these kimbers are picky on rounds so I’ll keep higher quality ammo in it but I’m not a gun expert but I know safety and I follow it to the T. I’m really hoping that I can get this micro 9 tuned the way it needs to be, I really didn’t want to spend it back to Kimber. So far I’ve shot 350 rounds through it and cleaned/lubed it numerous times.
D_spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #2

SMH. Lost the front fiber optic (3) times in a row!! Members you seeing this? We had this discussion just last week. Sorry your having problems. Micro9 owners help him out. Extractor adjustment I believe can be tricky. Ammo takes testing. WWB is very dirty as you found out.
I can't even talk about it.
Wingnut likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #3

Skip the WWB and Remington ammo. Get you some American Eagle 124 gr. and try it. A little more expensive but well worth it. Good luck with it.
2sharp2 likes this.
DaVinci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 11:17 PM   #4

I could give you a solution real easy but I'm afraid you don't want to here it. Sorry your having those problems and hope you get it worked out.

Jim D
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:16 AM   #5

Thanks for the tips guys.

I agree the fiber optic issue is really annoying. I really think I’m putting the best mushroom on both ends and it’s still not working. How hard is it to completely change out the entire sight. Cause I’m about to that point...

I will try the American eagle, thanks for the input. I’m ok with spending a bit more on rounds if they will have higher quality. 9 rounds are cheap compared to what I’m use to buying (45acp)

I’m going to Loosen the extractor a bit and hope for no more issues. Figured I’ll do another 100 rounds at the range. If I have to send it back I will. I feel like even a single issue during 100 rounds isn’t really acceptable but this is my first new firearm so I figured breaking it in will come with quirks.

Makes me really appreciate my colt 45 acp. Talk about an extremely reliable gun...
Old 02-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #6

I have two micro 9’s. Both have ran flawlessly with whatever I buy that is cheap.
Sorry you are having issues.
wfm likes this.
Tihsepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
wfm

Originally Posted by Tihsepa View Post
I have two micro 9ís. Both have ran flawlessly with whatever I buy that is cheap.
Same here, I have run hundreds of rounds of cheap WWB 115 gr. in my Micro 9 without an issue. Other than it is dirtier than hell.
wfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:27 PM   #8

Originally Posted by wfm View Post
Originally Posted by Tihsepa View Post
I have two micro 9’s. Both have ran flawlessly with whatever I buy that is cheap.
Same here, I have run hundreds of rounds of cheap WWB 115 gr. in my Micro 9 without an issue. Other than it is dirtier than hell.

I really appreciate the input guys. It’s nice to hear that others are having zero issues. Seems like you can only find bad things when you look it up.