Micro 9 Front Strap - Skateboard Tape for Grip - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #1

Micro 9 Front Strap - Skateboard Tape for Grip

Stopped by the mall today and went by the Skateboard shop... definitely weird walking into the place, the workers probably thought the same of me

Picked up a sheet of skateboard grip tape for the deck of a skateboard. I have enough of this to do 100 guns probably LOL... but for $5, figured I'd give it a whirl.

Added some material to the front strap for a little extra grip on the little 9. Added a little to the magazine (actually a Sig Magazine) for additional grip too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190424_152303.jpg (2.08 MB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20190424_152319.jpg (1.85 MB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20190424_152349.jpg (1.97 MB, 21 views)
PaulWVa, KCJeep and mamon2 like this.

Last edited by 1000RR; 04-25-2019 at 06:46 AM.
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-24-2019, 05:27 PM   #2

You did a real nice job on that.
1000RR likes this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #3

I use it on my Pro Carry II, it's great. My new Micro 9 came with Hogue squishy-grips that cover the front strap. When I put some G10 panels on it, you can be sure the skateboard treatment will go on, too!
1000RR likes this.
Bentlink is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2019, 06:59 PM   #4

Sorry, just my 2 cents, cheap solution to your problem. I would never install skateboard tape on any of my 1911's. I'd buy a pistol that already has a checkered front strap, send the pistol I have out to have checkering, buy a wrap around grip. But that's all just me. To each there own.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:09 PM   #5

Nicely done! I've found the skateboard tape to be just a little gritty for my taste and kinda hard on expensive shooting gloves. I've been using TALON grip material. They have two types, the rougher skateboard type and a textured rubber style that I really like. It's not sticky but offers a nice grippy feel. I've used the TALON pre-cut grip covers too.

I've also used the TALON to replace the sharp checkering on my Ruger 77/44 synthetic rifle stock.

Anything that helps you keep a hold of that beast is a good thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0648.JPG (2.36 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0692.JPG (1.53 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0693.JPG (1.69 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Silver guns 003.JPG (1.81 MB, 8 views)
Bigdog, 1000RR and Hampton_CIT like this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #6

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Sorry, just my 2 cents, cheap solution to your problem. I would never install skateboard tape on any of my 1911's. I'd buy a pistol that already has a checkered front strap, send the pistol I have out to have checkering, buy a wrap around grip. But that's all just me. To each there own.
That was not an option for the particular Micro 9 I purchased, if it were, I would have certainly done that. As far as sending it off for checkering, I guess if this fails, I'll go that route OR none at all. But for those before me that have done this, it seems to work quite well and lasts a long time, and I'm very pleased with how it turned out, looks very nice (of course that's only me)

No apologies needed... If we all liked the same thing all the time - wouldn't it be a boring place we live
2sharp2 and Rocketboy like this.

Last edited by 1000RR; 04-24-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:21 PM   #7

Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
Nicely done! I've found the skateboard tape to be just a little gritty for my taste and kinda hard on expensive shooting gloves. I've been using TALON grip material. They have two types, the rougher skateboard type and a textured rubber style that I really like. It's not sticky but offers a nice grippy feel. I've used the TALON pre-cut grip covers too.

I've also used the TALON to replace the sharp checkering on my Ruger 77/44 synthetic rifle stock.

Nice! Those look great! And good to know on the TALON grip material. I wanted something pretty aggressive on the front strap of this just because being such a small 9, it has a good amount of sharp recoil (at least compared to my Full Size 1911 45's). I'd say it's about like 80 grit.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:40 PM   #8

Originally Posted by 1000RR View Post
That was not an option for the particular Micro 9 I purchased, if it were, I would have certainly done that. As far as sending it off for checkering, I guess if this fails, I'll go that route OR none at all. But for those before me that have done this, it seems to work quite well and lasts a long time, and I'm very pleased with how it turned out, looks very nice (of course that's only me)

No apologies needed... If we all liked the same thing all the time - wouldn't it be a boring place we live

I understand, the tape getsRRRdone for very little money. No worries. If tape gets loose, wears out you just cut and put on a new piece. I don't expect your fix to fail, lots of people been doing the same thing for a long time.
You in the skateboard shop was probably similar to the reaction I received when I followed my 16 year old granddaughter into the local mall teen store "Hot Topic" cause I was paying.
1000RR likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:21 AM   #9

Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post

The Talon precut pieces are really nice. I run it on a M&P Pro set up for competition and love them. Downside of skateboard tape or Talon adhesive pieces is if you’re not careful when cleaning, gun oil will make the adhesive go belly up fast.
Hampton_CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:25 AM   #10

Originally Posted by 1000RR View Post
I'm very pleased with how it turned out, looks very nice (of course that's only me)
Yeah but ... but ... it's BLACK!

Not some sparkly neon color, or a pattern of death-heads or dancing unicorns?! How.... banal! Here you're taking the chance to dress up your lethal weapon.... and just plain-old black?! You're ... SUCH a guy! {sigh}

RustyIron and PaulWVa like this.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote