Bright Brushed - Kimber Forum

Kimber


Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree21Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2019, 11:02 AM  
Senior Member
 
Cucamonga kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Big Sky Country-The Last Best Place
Posts: 4,053
Bright Brushed

One thing that always bugged me about my little Micro9 was the contrast in the colors between the slide and the frame. Although it's called the stainless model, only the slide is stainless steel. The slide has a dull finish which I think is maybe a bead blasted treatment and the frame is aluminum with the paint finish. The two do not seem to match to my satisfaction so I went and tried something a little over the top. It would either be a great success or an utter failure.
Inspired by the bright slide finish on my Colt Defenders I went ahead and tried to polish the flats of the slide of my Micro9.
I used a sheet of number 320 wet/dry sandpaper, held in place on my kitchen counter top with a couple of small clamps and then proceeded to rub that slide back-and-forth on that paper for about five minutes per side. I could immediately see the results that I wanted beginning to appear. As the paper began to wear down I rinsed it off with water and repeated the process. As the paper grit seem to get finer it appeared it was giving it now a polished effect.
After cleaning the slide and reassembling the pistol I could now see the stark contrast between the bright/brushed slide and the painted frame. The contrast was much more visually appealing than the slightly off colors that I previously had.
IMG_2467.JPG

Did I void my warranty?
__________________
Buy American - MAGA!
Cucamonga kid is online now  
Old 07-28-2019, 11:05 AM  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 133
Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
One thing that always bugged me about my little Micro9 was the contrast in the colors between the slide and the frame. Although it's called the stainless model, only the slide is stainless steel. The slide has a dull finish which I think is maybe a bead blasted treatment and the frame is aluminum with the paint finish. The two do not seem to match to my satisfaction so I went and tried something a little over the top. It would either be a great success or an utter failure.
Inspired by the bright slide finish on my Colt Defenders I went ahead and tried to polish the flats of the slide of my Micro9.
I used a sheet of number 320 wet/dry sandpaper, held in place on my kitchen counter top with a couple of small clamps and then proceeded to rub that slide back-and-forth on that paper for about five minutes per side. I could immediately see the results that I wanted beginning to appear. As the paper began to wear down I rinsed it off with water and repeated the process. As the paper grit seem to get finer it appeared it was giving it now a polished effect.
After cleaning the slide and reassembling the pistol I could now see the stark contrast between the bright/brushed slide and the painted frame. The contrast was much more visually appealing than the slightly off colors that I previously had.
Attachment 114634

Did I void my warranty?
Looks good. No, I don't think you voided your warranty, but you did create a one of a kind gun. So now you have a Solo...
Cucamonga kid likes this.
Holster is offline  
Old 07-28-2019, 11:38 AM  
Senior Member
 
Shootinit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4,002
did that to mine the first day.;-)
Cucamonga kid likes this.
Shootinit is offline  
 
Old 07-28-2019, 11:40 AM  
Senior Member
 
Cucamonga kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Big Sky Country-The Last Best Place
Posts: 4,053
Originally Posted by Holster View Post
Looks good. No, I don't think you voided your warranty, but you did create a one of a kind gun. So now you have a Solo...
Ohhhh- Noooo! 😲
Holster likes this.
__________________
Buy American - MAGA!
Cucamonga kid is online now  
Old 07-28-2019, 11:41 AM  
Senior Member
 
Cucamonga kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Big Sky Country-The Last Best Place
Posts: 4,053
Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
did that to mine the first day.;-)
You know the rules. No picture; it didn't happen.
__________________
Buy American - MAGA!
Cucamonga kid is online now  
Old 07-28-2019, 11:44 AM  
Senior Member
 
Shootinit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4,002
Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
You know the rules. No picture; it didn't happen.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Cucamonga kid likes this.
Shootinit is offline  
Old 07-28-2019, 11:48 AM  
Senior Member
 
Cucamonga kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Big Sky Country-The Last Best Place
Posts: 4,053
IMG_2463.JPG
Did the same thing to the New Rem R1S.
__________________
Buy American - MAGA!
Cucamonga kid is online now  
Old 07-28-2019, 12:23 PM  
Senior Member
 
JC45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northeast Pa
Posts: 6,259
The slide looks great but the frame color could be a better match. I have the same color on my Diamond Ultra and I won’t say I hate it, but it could look better.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
JC45 is offline  
Old 07-28-2019, 06:28 PM  
Senior Member
 
bhunted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sumner County, TN
Posts: 2,939
Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
The slide looks great but the frame color could be a better match. I have the same color on my Diamond Ultra and I won’t say I hate it, but it could look better.


Won’t happen unless frame and slide are both stainless.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cucamonga kid likes this.
__________________
Regards,

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline  
Old 07-28-2019, 07:08 PM  
Super Moderator
 
Chuck43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 32,824
Nice work, it looks great and no I don't think you voided your warranty.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
__________________
WE DON'T SHOOT TO KILL, WE SHOOT TO SAVE A LIFE.
Chuck43 is offline  
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On