Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bigdog
  • 1 Post By RustyIron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #1

Micro 9 thumb safety

I have a 3 micro 9s. They all shoot good and very accurate. But sometimes the last round in the mag jams and fails to feed. But the most concerning issue is with the thumb safety. With the hammer forward and the breach empty, mag in, the safety is very workable with your thumb. If there is a round in the breach and the hammer is cocked the safety is harder to work, which is really when you need it to work. Anyone else have a hard to operate thumb safety when the hammer is cocked? If so, is there a way to make it operate with less effort ? Thoughts? thanks ..rsperoff
rsperoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-02-2019, 08:22 PM   #2

my Micro 9 has a pretty stiff safety going into safety. Coming to "fire" (not safe) it's not stiff.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:48 PM   #3

Yes, there is a way to improve your safety. Keep in mind that I don't have a Micro 9, and what I'm going to type should only be attempted by an expert. Besides, I haven't even seen your gun, so I could be totally off base.

The "safety" of that style of gun is really just a "hammer block." When the hammer is down and you actuate the safety, all you're doing is overcoming the friction of the safety itself and the detent pin. That's why it's easy to move.

When the hammer is back and you engage the safety, you're actually LIFTING the hammer back just a hair more. That's why the safety is more difficult to move: you're lifting the hammer.

The eccentric of the safety rotates against the precisely-cut surface of the hammer, lifting it off the sear. Once the safety is engaged, you can pull the trigger all you want, the sear will move back and forth, but the hammer can't drop.

So if you want to improve the way the safety actuates, you can VERY slightly file/stone the surface of the hammer. Smoothing it helps, but the real improvement comes by changing the profile, decreasing the rate of lift and the distance that the hammer is lifted.

There are downsides if you don't think this through. The most obvious is if you modify the hammer too much (which isn't much). The safety won't lift the hammer enough. So then you pull the trigger with the safety on, the sear comes off the hammer, and the hammer moves ever so slightly. After that, the sear can't go under the hammer again, and when you release the safety, the hammer drops. It's unlikely that the gun will fire under these circumstances, but you'll be expecting to have a gun that's really to fire, but the hammer is down.

Once again, the safety CAN be improved, but you need to be confident in your ability before hogging away at your pistols.
1000RR likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2019, 07:38 PM   #4

Or,

Lightly pull back on the already-cocked hammer with your left thumb while lifting the safety with your right thumb.
Pantera Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:10 PM   #5

I learn something every day here!
Old 08-04-2019, 10:08 PM   #6

Thanks for the ideas and your responses. I think I'll leave the hammer work to those that know what they're doing. And that's not me. I'll try backing the hammer a bit.
rsperoff is offline   Reply With Quote