Guide rod problems - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2019, 04:34 PM  

Guide rod problems

I'm new to Kimber, and purchased the Micro 9 STG two weeks ago. Up until now I've always been a Ruger girl, but I was called by the siren song of better concealment. Anyways, I brought the Micro 9 home, field stripped it and cleaned it (without problem) and pulled it out today when my new holster arrived. As I put the magazine in, and put a bullet into the chamber I immediately noticed that the guide rod was protruding out past the barrel. Thinking I might have put it back together incorrectly, I stripped it down again, and followed the instruction manual and even a few YouTube videos. It's very simple to put together, and I had it right the first time.

I've been messing with my gun for a few hours now, and I can't figure out why the guide rod is sticking out. I've been through numerous guide rod problem posts and nothing has helped. I can't find anything glaringly wrong. Any ideas?
Cucamonga kid likes this.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:45 PM  

did you put it together like this?
Marshall and Cucamonga kid like this.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:48 PM  

before you attached slide was it sticking out?..should look as pictured
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4616.JPG (1.36 MB, 12 views)
Marshall likes this.

Last edited by Shootinit; 09-01-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:49 PM  

Unload your pistol and check the chamber if you can to make sure that is completely safe then, if you can, pull out the slide release. Now, with the slide fully forward pull the slide back about an eighth of an inch then insert the pin till it goes 1/2 way through the slide and then pull the slide back to the assembly notch and pop it in tightly.
Previously, your slide release rod was not inside of the loop on the bottom of the barrel. I think you must've pulled the slide all the way back to the notch and then tried to insert your pin. Am I right?
Tejun, Bigdog, Wingnut and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 09-01-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:59 PM  

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
https://youtu.be/eQh_XrOcSbM

did you put it together like this?
Yes - without problem. Everything went together smoothly.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:00 PM  

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
before you attach slide is it sticking out?..should look as pictured
No, it's not sticking out until I assemble it and put the slide stop back in fully.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:04 PM  

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Unload your pistol and check the chamber if you can to make sure that is completely safe then, if you can, pull out the slide release. Now, with the slide fully forward pull the slide back about an eighth of an inch then insert the pin till it goes 1/2 way through the slide and then pull the slide back to the assembly notch and pop it in tightly.
Previously, your slide release rod was not inside of the loop on the bottom of the barrel. I think you must've pulled the slide all the way back to the notch and then tried to insert your pin. Am I right?
So, I followed your advice... and you're completely right. It fixed the problem. I put the magazine in and put a bullet in the chamber and it looks 100% correct now. Thank you!!!!!!!!! You saved me a long trip to get it repaired. YOU ROCK!!!
Old 09-01-2019, 05:27 PM  

Originally Posted by runnin_nurse View Post
So, I followed your advice... and you're completely right. It fixed the problem. I put the magazine in and put a bullet in the chamber and it looks 100% correct now. Thank you!!!!!!!!! You saved me a long trip to get it repaired. YOU ROCK!!!
Well you're most welcome. Glad I could help. So, happy shooting; you should really fall in love with that pistol.
That video was pretty cool too. Maybe you should order one of those little spacer blocks or slide tool as they call it.
So now after helping you out with that you owe us a range report and some pictures of your new shooter if you feel so inclined.

PS: I'm soooo glad you didn't buy a Solo.
Tejun, phil evans and Wingnut like this.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:35 PM  

I think runnin_nurse is runnin_off to the range right now.

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 09-01-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:46 PM  

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Well you're most welcome. Glad I could help. So, happy shooting; you should really fall in love with that pistol.
That video was pretty cool too. Maybe you should order one of those little spacer blocks or slide tool as they call it.
So now after helping you out with that you owe us a range report and some pictures of your new shooter if you feel so inclined.

PS: I'm soooo glad you didn't buy a Solo.
Yes, those spacer blocks are awesome. It's definitely going on my "want" list.

And a range report won't happen until October. I have no shooting ranges in my area (I live pretty rural, but not rural enough to shoot outside), so I'm limited to when I happen to go North to visit family. I do have another nurse friend who has land you can shoot at, but when you work nights like I do, and have a 2-year old, you don't have much of a life.

Btw, I'm in love with my new Crossbreed holster (Mini Appendix Carry) if anyone's looking for a great one for the Micro 9. Super comfortable and conceals well, even for a small framed woman like myself.
Tejun, Cucamonga kid and Bigdog like this.