Kimber Talk Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger Pull

12K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Chuck43 
#1 ·
My Micro 9 trigger pull is currently 4 Lb 9 oz.
I'm thinking of dropping it another pound.
Any thoughts?
Would you guys do it, or leave it as is?

#3 ·
For a smaller carry gun like the micro 9 I think your trigger pull is where it should be. Lighter is not always better but smoother is. Working on travel and smoothness could make that 4lb 9oz feel a lot lighter then it actually is. In a SHTF situation you're not going to notice if it's 3lbs or 15lbs as long as it goes bang.

#5 ·
Why is the Micro 9 a carry gun?

I'll avoid answering that question to spare Chuck some moderating. :D

That said, if you intend to use the Micro 9 as a range toy and not for self defense purposes then my answer would be: Unlikely to see any appreciable difference in accuracy no matter how much lighter the trigger is modified from what it is now, although you could see some difference in double-taps. Still, the Micro 9 is such a poor choice for recreational use compared to alternatives I simply wouldn't bother.

#6 · (Edited)
?? I've only been to a range two times in my life - when my wife and I got our carry permits.

I prefer farms and/or woods for fun shooting.
Used to use a J-frame for squirrel hunting (worked OK for that, but not as well as a 12 gauge). I would think that the Micro 9 would work about as well as the J-frame for squirrel. Biggest downside is that you can't shoot unless the squirrel has a tree trunk behind it.

#7 ·
JIM, I'm not a "range guy" either, much preferring to do all my recreational shooting in the Oregon outback, just out my front door.

That said, I'd opine that reducing the trigger pull weight on that Micro 9 is a very bad idea if you do ever intend to use it for CC. God forbid you actually ever had to use it for the intended purpose, the last thing you want is to have the prosecutor discover you've made it into what they'll call a "hair trigger". From my LE experience, it puts you in a very bad legal light....I've seen it myself.

But on the lighter side, squirrels with small, dinky pistols? You bet! When I'm out in the aforementioned outback, many times I'm toting my Kimber Ultra with the Compact Rimfire Conversion aboard. Ground squirrels are not safe out to about 35 yards, and jackwabbits to 52 yards.....the farthest I've ever wacked on with the little Kimber.

Pesky alfalfa-eating ground squirrel, we call "Skippy" in these parts:

And the silly jackwabbit that tore through our camp one afternoon, then stopping at 52 yards for a fatal look-back:

And just for the record, I'm a J-Frame fanboy too. :)

#8 · (Edited)
Hi, Rick. Me too. I've got three 12.5 Oz airweight 637-2 J-frames converted to titanium 9mm cylinders. I've been hooked on J-frames since the 1960s. My favorite gun. I like the Micro 9, but don't plan to carry it for defence. I prefer the Micro .380 for that. In my opinion, you don't carry any gun for defence that it would bother you to lose it (evidence).

Attachments

#9 ·
Rick, I really need to visit Oregun, way more fun than shooting paper.

Jim, I agree with others a light weight trigger pull for a EDC pistol is a bad idea. My old 70 Series Colt Government model is the only pistol I own that has had a professional trigger job. I used it for target practice and 3-gun matches back in the day. It's trigger pull is crisp and in the 2 1/2 to 3 pound range. It is a "hair" trigger way to light for self defense work.

Old Colt wearing Ivory.

Attachments

#10 ·
"Jim, I agree with others a light weight trigger pull for a EDC pistol is a bad idea".

Since my Micro 9 isn't an EDC, why is that pertinent?
When I asked the question about opinions on further lightening the trigger from 4-9 to 3-9, EDC wasn't a part of it. I get it that light trigger pulls on defence weapons may not be a good idea, but that isn't relevant here.

#11 · (Edited)
You asked for "any thoughts"...I gave you some.
You asked would we do it? NO however see below.

OK, then do whatever the f*** you want. Make it a 2 pound trigger range gun. I have no idea how you use your Micro9 nor how or what you may use it for in the future. Maybe this will be relevant for you.
Carry on!

Reactions: ChattanoogaPhil
#12 · (Edited)
As I mentioned previously, I've only been to a range twice in my life, so it isn't going to be either a range gun or a defense gun. My question had nothing to do with either of those uses. I'm not looking for a 'yes' answer - just one that is pertinent.

So, for uses that have nothing to do with ranges or killing people, what do you guys think about lightening the trigger?
So far, all but Rick's response seem to be fixated on those two things only. As an aside, I have two Micro .380s that are used for carry. Their triggers remain stock, albeit with stock pulls lighter than this Micro 9.

#13 ·
what do you guys think about lightening the trigger?
Well... you asked...
I've not worked on a Micro 9. But I've worked on a Colt Government .380 and a Sig P938, which are the brother and sister of the Micro 9. We need to keep in mind that we're not dealing with 1911's. These guns have a relatively simple trigger system. Generally, they come off the line a little heavy and a little gritty. It's not hard to improve them and shave off several ounces or more of trigger pull. On the Sig at one time, I kept chasing the dragon and ended up sub-five-pounds. I wasn't really comfortable with the results. It took a bit of head scratching to get it back where I wanted it.

Nowadays, I generally like a pistol's trigger pull to be in the 5-6 pound range, as long as there's no grittiness. Jerry Miculek and the Waco Kid could shoot a 12 pound trigger quickly and accurately, so there's no reason that you and I can't, too.

#14 ·
Mine started out at 5 Lb 1 Oz from the factory. I installed a set of M*Carbo springs that reduced it 8 Oz, down to 4 Lb 9 Oz. Most of my shooting over the last 65 years has been single action revolvers with very light troggers, so it still feels quite heavy to me.

#16 ·
Well, for the most part, the responses seem to be adamant that the 9 can be used ONLY for range or carry. I don't use it for either purpose. If someone wants to tell me that it is a bad idea to lighten the trigger for other uses, I will listen carefully because they might be right - which is why I asked the original question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.