Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #1

Got my RMA.....

All,

My Micro 9 stainless with original springs will soon be heading back to Kimber for some TLC. Issues:

1). Trigger pull is abysmal. 9 pounds, gritty and creepy. Makes it impossible to shoot accurately, even if it was mechanically capable of accuracy which I suspect it is.

2). 7-round Mag drops 3-4 times every 50 rounds. No problems with 6-round Mags so itís not a shooter issue.

3). Shoots about 6 inches high and 2-3 inches to the right of point of aim with American Eagle 115gr FMJ.

Fingers crossed this thing comes back in a manner that allows me to trust it with my life!
2sharp2, RustyIron and motormac like this.
Pantera Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-24-2020, 05:47 PM   #2

Good luck, I hope everything works out for you.
motormac likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:40 PM   #3

Just got word from UPS my pistol will be delivered back to me tomorrow. I had left a note in the box I sent and requested that Kimber speak with me about it while they had it, but that didnít happen. Iím hoping there is a written report at least.

Will report back after I open the box....
RustyIron and KCJeep like this.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:12 PM   #4

So,

Did you know UPS has a feature where you can track the location of an arriving package in real time, as it moves about town inside the delivery truck? I sat on my couch like a kid at Christmas, watching for two hours as the truck wound its way through this neighborhood and that, before finally pulling up in front of my house and disgorging my Micro 9.

The driver laughed, as I was standing in the street holding my iPad as he rounded the corner. He remembered me from six or seven months ago where I was too impatient to wait and tracked him down to a parking lot during his lunch break, in order to get my Colt Delta Elite which was returning from Wilson Combat after a trigger job.

Anyway, I raced inside and busted open the box. Inside was my Micro 9 (fitted with a new orange plastic holdopen tool), test target and paperwork.

The photos tell the tale. The paperwork claims the front sight was replaced to correct the accuracy problem, the magazine catch and spring were replaced to correct the magazine-falling-out problem, and the abysmal trigger pull was ‘per factory specs’. There is no indication if any work was performed to get it there, but whereas before it was about 9 pounds, give or take, now it’s just over 7 lbs. It’s noticeably better than before, but still bad. I will reinstall my M*Carbo springs and see if that improves things.

The test target was fired at a range of 10 yards and shows a well-centered group. The test ammo was Hornady XTP 147gr +P, notably hotter and heavier than the American Eagle 115gr FMJ I’ve been using to break the gun in.

The proof will be in the pudding–hopefully I can achieve point of aim with my reloads which will use Speer 124gr TMJ and 124gr Gold Dot Hollow Points.

I am quite pleased with Kimber’s responsiveness to my issues, and the speed with which they addressed them. Assuming I’m able to achieve something resembling the accuracy they showed, and assuming the magazine will remain in the gun now, it’s much closer to perfect than it was when I first started.

I still want to see if I can further reduce the trigger pull, as it is still too heavy for my tastes (although it’s quality seems to have been improved, from a subjective standpoint).

What this thing really needs now is another thousand or so rounds pumped through it to fully break it in. And I’m looking forward to that!
2sharp2 and RustyIron like this.

Last edited by Pantera Mike; 02-13-2020 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:05 PM   #5

Since I had the safe open I decided to pull out a handful of 1911-type pistols to compare their trigger pull weights to the Kimber Micro 9:

Colt Model 1908 25 ACP: 6 lbs 3 oz
Colt Model 1908 380 ACP: 6 lbs 1 oz
Colt Delta Elite 10mm (with Wilson Combat trigger job): 3 lbs 5 oz
Colt Gold Cup Series 70 45 ACP: 3 lbs 8 oz
Detonics Combat Master Mk VI 45 ACP: 4 lbs 9 oz
Auto Mag Model 160 357 AMP: 5 lbs 9 oz
Auto Mag Model 180 44 AMP: 3 lbs 13 oz
Walther PPK 9mmK (1968 German-made): 4 lbs 10 oz

It’s worth noting that my subjective assessments of the trigger pulls didn’t line up with the objective measurements. I would have guessed that the PPK and Gold Cup had lower values than they do. I attribute this to the width of the trigger. The increased area that the trigger finger presses against seems to reduce the perceived weight.

I have long felt that the triggers on my Detonics and my 357 Auto Mag sucked (especially the Auto Mag) because I’ve been so spoiled by my other large-frame autos. It’s telling that my other Auto Mag has a trigger pull that is objectively light and subjectively magnificent, rivaling that of my Gold Cup.

It also shows how absurdly horrible the Micro 9 was at 9 lbs plus, and it’s still far from where I would like it to be. This is an ongoing project.....
Old 02-13-2020, 06:24 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I'm glad to hear that Kimber's customer service took care of you, the gun looks great. That "new orange plastic holdopen tool" is called a chamber flag.
2sharp2 and ChattanoogaPhil like this.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:35 PM   #7

The trigger on a Micro 9 can be improved some, but the basic issue in comparing it to 1911s is that it isn’t one. It’s trigger pivots from the top, while a 1911 trigger pulls straight back. They are two completely different triggers, mechanically.

A Micro 9 trigger will never feels as good as a quality 1911 one.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Pantera Mike View Post
There is no indication if any work was performed to get it there, but whereas before it was about 9 pounds, give or take, now it’s just over 7 lbs.
As you continue to shoot it, the trigger will ease up a bit (will take less muscle to pull it), and smooth out (less grit) a lot...give it some time......

YMMV

Lon
Teufelhunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #9

HaHa. Chuck beat me to it but I'm gonna say it anyway.
(fitted with a new orange plastic holdopen tool)...otherwise called a chamber flag.

Glad your happy with your Micro9.
Chuck43 and ChattanoogaPhil like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:06 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Pantera Mike View Post
Anyway, I raced inside and busted open the box. Inside was my Micro 9 (fitted with a new orange plastic holdopen tool)
Hey Mike,

I just call em orange thingies. No one has ever corrected me.
2sharp2 likes this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote