New Micro 9 Disappointment - Page 2 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2020, 06:23 AM   #11
mxl

I cured mine by replacing the mag catch spring with a stiffer spring. It was a spring I had laying around and unfortunately I don't know it's source. It might save you a trip to the factory if you can find one that will work.
mxl is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-15-2020, 09:20 AM   #12

Thanks for the info. Talked to Kimber and its taking a field trip back to the factory.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Markie likes this.
rr.taylorjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:32 PM   #13

I read today on the Sig 938 forum that their gun suffers from the same malady, magazine dropping during firing, that the Micro 9 does. A couple members accomplished a repair that they've had 100% success with. They used a standard 1911 magazine release spring to replace the OEM Micro 9 one with. They trimmed the new 1911 spring 0.185" in length and installed it in their Sig 938s. The new spring is a tad larger in diameter and the spring wire is thicker and that provides more spring tension. They bought the springs from Fusion Firearms, which is just down the road from me. I dropped by there today and picked one up, $2.95 for the spring. I trimmed it and replaced the old one with it. The release button definitely is a bit stouter but it releases the magazine as it should. I'll visit the range in a few days to validate everything. I couldn't find a micro 9 video for the replacement but found one for a 938, which I used and it's pretty much the same. The micro 9 magazine button release screw takes a 1/16" allen wrench vice the flat blade screw driver in the video. You'll need to push the magazine release button all the way in before you turn the release screw. If you need to force it then you don't have the release button pushed in enough. It should turn relatively easy. Don't force it or you'll strip out that 1/16" screw head and it will be fubar. I'll post the you tube link to the video here.
RustyIron likes this.
undy is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #14

I had that same issue with my P938 twice, as you said it's not Kimber. Has been a well known Sig issue for many years, why they don't just fix it is beyond me.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:29 AM   #15

I went to the range this AM. I ran 112 rounds through it, both 124gr FMJs and 124gr +P JHPs. The new mag release spring change is a winner.

Note to self... keep my right thumb off the magazine release button while firing and keep it just under the slide. I need to make that a habit. I honestly think most of my mag drop problems was this.
RustyIron likes this.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #16

Originally Posted by undy View Post
Note to self... keep my right thumb off the magazine release button while firing and keep it just under the slide. I need to make that a habit. I honestly think most of my mag drop problems was this.
Not having a Micro 9, I don't know how feasible this is, but maybe it will help.

I have a little Kahr P380 that fills a particular roll for me. I was great, except that once in a while I'd remove the holster and find that the magazine wasn't in place. The first time I attributed it to user error. The second time I became concerned. The third time it happened, I knew there was a problem that needed to be fixed.

The magazine release is in a typical 1911 location and functions the same way. Interestingly, the height of the mag release above the widest part of the grip is substantial. My theory was that the mag release was getting bumped or pressed during my everyday activities.

I removed the mag release and filed down the top of the button quite a bit. Now it sits about 0.020" higher than the tallest part of the grip. It still protrudes about 0.080" above the surrounding material, so pushing the release is still easy. I left the button flat on top and then hit it with a Birchwood Casey touch-up pen. My thoughts were that I could cut lines in it at another time, but it's been years and it's no longer a high priority.

The magazine hasn't inadvertently come out since filing it down. I can no longer do high-speed tactical reloads... oh... wait... this is a P380. Fancy John Wick style reloads were not a thing BEFORE the mag release modification.

Anyway, that's what worked for me.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #17

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Not having a Micro 9, I don't know how feasible this is, but maybe it will help.

I have a little Kahr P380 that fills a particular roll for me. I was great, except that once in a while I'd remove the holster and find that the magazine wasn't in place. The first time I attributed it to user error. The second time I became concerned. The third time it happened, I knew there was a problem that needed to be fixed.

The magazine release is in a typical 1911 location and functions the same way. Interestingly, the height of the mag release above the widest part of the grip is substantial. My theory was that the mag release was getting bumped or pressed during my everyday activities.

I removed the mag release and filed down the top of the button quite a bit. Now it sits about 0.020" higher than the tallest part of the grip. It still protrudes about 0.080" above the surrounding material, so pushing the release is still easy. I left the button flat on top and then hit it with a Birchwood Casey touch-up pen. My thoughts were that I could cut lines in it at another time, but it's been years and it's no longer a high priority.

The magazine hasn't inadvertently come out since filing it down. I can no longer do high-speed tactical reloads... oh... wait... this is a P380. Fancy John Wick style reloads were not a thing BEFORE the mag release modification.

Anyway, that's what worked for me.
I've got 5XL bear paws and the meat of my thumb was right over the mag release when doing a two handed fire. Simply elevating my thumb a bit just under the slide seems to have fixed the second half of the problem. After the spring fix the only time the gun has dumped the magazine (twice) while firing is when I forget about my thumb position. When firing the gun recoils to the left a bit which is in line with my hypothesis.
RustyIron likes this.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #18

I have had multiple problems with 2 Micro 9s but haven't really focused on making them 09.999% reliable but problems have increased in frequency so now I must. I've run them wet and dry. Recently I started using grease that comes with 938s for the rails. I use oil for places where it needs to seep in.

I do not limp wrist, and they shoot what I consider very good groups for a pocket pistol.

Problems are:

1- FTFeed (including the dented bullet issue)
2- Failure to fully eject (shell caught as exiting with new bullet stuck trying to feed)
3- Slide closing when mag slapped in (like you need to do in order to really make sure it's locked in place.
4- Mag releasing (but not falling completely out) when shooting, therefore preventing next round from chambering.

So I'm facing 4 issues right now on 2 Micro 9s. One has issues more than the other. Both are under 500 rounds.

For practice I've been shooting mostly 124gr Blazer (round nose) but also Magtech and Winchester white box. Going forward I need to pay closer attention to the frequency of issues with each brand.

I tried a new unused mag on the gun that was having lots of FTFs and it seemed to be a lot better but not 100%.

Do I need to go out and get new springs for my mags and slide??
I will check out the extractor tension.
I may get a mag release spring.

Or should I just send both of these guys to Kimber and let them figure it out?

I love these little pistols so I really want to make them work reliably. The crimson laser is ridiculous- hold it chest height and place 7 rounds in 1.5" at 20'!
I have 2 that I haven't even fired yet and won't until I get the kinks worked out of the first 2.

My 938s have had some of he same issues but nowhere near the frequency of the Micro9s.

Last edited by Timbers9; 06-20-2020 at 03:16 PM. Reason: additional info
Timbers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:12 AM   #19

Well got it back from Kimber earlier this week and got a chance to shoot it on Friday. All three mags shot great and not one hiccup. Put 100rds 124gr fmj and 18 115gr hornady black through it and not a problem. Kimber stated they put a modifed mag catch and mag catch spring in it. Also "complimentary" replaced the recoil spring.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
RustyIron and Oklahomabound like this.
rr.taylorjr is offline   Reply With Quote