Need a Light for my Micro 9 But Which One - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2020, 07:10 PM   #1

Need a Light for my Micro 9 But Which One

I keep my Micro 9 in the nightstand, next to me bed. However, after doing a few dry runs, I quickly realize that I need a light for the pistol. Have any of you added a light to your Micro 9? If so, what did you go with and how do you like it?

Thanks in advance!

Mark
Oklahomabound likes this.
rbswelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-19-2020, 09:35 PM   #2

Hmmm. I don't remember ever seeing a light mounted to a Micro 9. You want it "on" the Micro and not just held in your weak hand? I don't know whats available if it doesn't have a rail. We'll see what members come up with.
Streamlight TLR-1 or something like that?
JC45 and Oklahomabound like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Kimber 84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
Kimber SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
Kimber 84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:49 AM   #3

I just looked at all the Micro 9s on the Kimber website and none had a rail. I’m not sure if there are older models with a rail. I’m a bit surprised they don’t have a rail on any current models.

If your looking for a handheld, I just picked up on of these Surefire lights and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Flas...009F7J960?th=1
2sharp2 likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2020, 05:46 AM   #4

Several have used the Streamlight TLR-6 on their Micro 9. Apparently some sanding down of the inside of the Streamlight trigger guard is required. Reviews are similar to this.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 6.43.17 AM.png (82.5 KB, 11 views)
2sharp2 and JC45 like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:47 AM   #5
Super Moderator

About the only thing I could think of would be a trigger guard mount.
Personally I think you'd be better off with a flashlight held in your weak hand. I keep a small 1000 lumens light on my night stand for those bump in the night moments.
The problem with a gun mounted light is that when you get up to investigate that strange noise in the house your pointing a loaded gun at the grandchild that got up to use the bathroom.

Last edited by Chuck43; 11-20-2020 at 05:50 AM.
Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:10 AM   #6

LIGHTS MAKE GREAT TARGETS...get some remote control
lights you can pop on
Originally Posted by rbswelder View Post
I keep my Micro 9 in the nightstand, next to me bed. However, after doing a few dry runs, I quickly realize that I need a light for the pistol. Have any of you added a light to your Micro 9? If so, what did you go with and how do you like it?

Thanks in advance!

Mark
Old 11-20-2020, 07:05 AM   #7

For nightstand purposes, illumination should be a WML and be deployable with a single hand on the weapon. A separate light requires that you first gain control of two things, the gun and the light, and requires both hands to operate. Hardly the ideal setup for fumbling around from a position of being awoken in bed.

Micro 9 is a fine subcompact carry gun, but there's better options for a nightstand gun. Recommend a larger gun designed to accommodate a WML.
2sharp2, medezyner and 1000RR like this.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:50 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
For nightstand purposes, illumination should be a WML and be deployable with a single hand on the weapon. A separate light requires that you first gain control of two things, the gun and the light, and requires both hands to operate. Hardly the ideal setup for fumbling around from a position of being awoken in bed.
Like anything else with practice it's easier to do. I can have my light in hand and turned on about the same time I'm bringing my gun up with my thumb on the safety.
MrWicked likes this.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:27 AM   #9

Occupying both hands with a gun and light isn't the best choice regardless of practice. Aside from what has already been mentioned, inside the home includes opening doors, negotiating stairways/hand rails, assisting family, clearing a jam... an endless number of things that require a free hand.

As far as practice, I don't recall ever seeing anyone at the range practicing with a separate light. I regularly see folks practice shooting with a WML on their handgun.
2sharp2 and medezyner like this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 11-20-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #10

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Occupying both hands with a gun and light isn't the best choice regardless of practice. Aside from what has already been mentioned, inside the home includes opening doors, negotiating stairways/hand rails, assisting family, clearing a jam... an endless number of things that require a free hand.
+1 on having a hand free. If the ballon goes up and I have to shove the woman off the bed to a safe place on the floor, or quietly open a door to check what just went bump in the night, I'd rather do it with a completely free hand.
2sharp2 and ChattanoogaPhil like this.