Brand New Micro 9 Stainless Disaster - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro 9 Forum

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2020, 05:14 PM   #1
HXO

Brand New Micro 9 Stainless Disaster

All excited to have my first Kimber. I've shot and carried Glocks for years. I was looking for a lighter weight carry pistol to replace my Glock 26, a 100% reliable pistol with all ammo and that requires very little maintenance.

The first magazine of 115 gr Yavex FMJ went like this:
First round stovepipes and fails to go into the chamber. I clear it. Second and third rounds fire. Fourth round does not fire, light pin strike. I clear the round. Sixth round fires, seventh round fails to fire, light pin strike.

Second magazine, first round fires, second round fails to feed properly, hanging up the slide so that a 1/4 inch of the spring rod is protruding beneath the barrel. I clear it, third, fourth and fifth round fire, sixth round fails to fire, light strike.

Third magazine, first round fails to go into battery, with the same 1/4 inch spring rod sticking out. Clear, second and third rounds fire, fourth round fails to fire, light pin strike, fifth round fires, sixth round fires, seventh round fails to feed, AND THEN WHEN I RACK THE SLIDE TO CLEAR THE MIS-FEED, A PART FALLS OUT OF THE REAR OF THE GUN ONTO THE TABLE IN FRONT OF ME. I was outdoors on my home range. I looked around the table in the grass to see if the part that fell out is the only part that fell out. I didn't find anything but I still don't know. Not wanting to operate the weapon without all its parts attached, I end the session.

The part laying on the table, as best I can identify it, appears to be #36 from the exploded drawing in the manual, the "Firing Pin Stop." The manual is silent on how to replace the Firing Pin Stop when it falls out.

Any ideas? Is this a typical Micro 9 experience?
Oklahomabound likes this.
HXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-22-2020, 05:21 PM   #2

When I bought my Micro 9, I had issues the first day as well. Many misfeeds. But after struggling through 250 rounds I now have zero issues. Now, I didnt have anything fall out either.
nmanzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 05:31 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum HXO, to answer your question NO, it's not typical. I've never heard of a firing pin stop falling out of a gun. The best advice I can give you is to call customer service tomorrow morning and politely explain the problem you're having with the gun.

Customer Service

888-243-4522
MF, 9:30 a.m. 6 p.m. Eastern

Now about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your interests, hobbies and where you're located.
JC45, Oklahomabound and HXO like this.

Old 12-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #4

I'm not sure how a firing pin stop would fall out unless it was removed and not replaced fully.

As posted above just give Kimber a call.
The folks at Kimber are good people. They will take care of you.
Oklahomabound and HXO like this.
bad ninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #5

HXO, welcome to the site from Tennessee.

Follow Chuck's advice call customer service. No, it not normal.

Getting to be a common thread subject. Not anyone buying true 1911's anymore?
Tejun, Oklahomabound and HXO like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Kimber 84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
Kimber SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
Kimber 84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:00 PM   #6

Welcome from Oregon.. I’m having a few.. not bad issues with my new micro rapide.. nothing like you.. sucks man.. take it apart take a look.. but yes sounds like a call ASAP
HXO likes this.
azdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #7

HXO, really sorry to hear of your Micro 9 misfortune. Just for the record, I've had mine for almost five years now, and from Day One, I have not had any kind of malfunction of any kind. The thing just runs and runs and runs with virtually any kind of ammo I stuff into it. I'll admit to doing a nice polish job on the barrel and feed ramp though.

I love my little 'pocket rocket'! (900~ rounds down range...zero issues. Holster wear starting to show at the muzzle...lots of carry.)

So "no", your experience is not typical, and a quick call to Kimber CS should get that puppy sorted out quickly.

Let us know how it shakes out when she returns from the Mothership.
Chuck43, Tejun, Wingnut and 3 others like this.
Rick in Oregon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:29 AM   #8
HXO

Originally Posted by bad ninja View Post
I'm not sure how a firing pin stop would fall out unless it was removed and not replaced fully.

As posted above just give Kimber a call.
The folks at Kimber are good people. They will take care of you.
Neither am I, but the gun was new in the box. I had never disassembled it, and I still haven't. I got an RMA yesterday. Today I'll make the 120 mile round trip to the nearest UPS facility that will ship it.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:37 AM   #9
HXO

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
HXO, welcome to the site from Tennessee.

Follow Chuck's advice call customer service. No, it not normal.

Getting to be a common thread subject. Not anyone buying true 1911's anymore?
Thank you 2sharp2. We are practically neighbors. I'm in the suburbs of Salt Lick, Kentucky, pop. 312. I'm ever so glad to hear that my situation is not normal.

I had more mis-feeds and misfires in my first three mags with the Micro than I've had in the last 10 years of shooting my Glock, and I've never had any parts fall out of the Glock. I'm hoping Kimber CS is what you guys say it is.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:50 AM   #10

Originally Posted by HXO View Post
Thank you 2sharp2. We are practically neighbors. I'm in the suburbs of Salt Lick, Kentucky, pop. 312. I'm ever so glad to hear that my situation is not normal.

I had more mis-feeds and misfires in my first three mags with the Micro than I've had in the last 10 years of shooting my Glock, and I've never had any parts fall out of the Glock. I'm hoping Kimber CS is what you guys say it is.
Kimber CS is top notch, and prompt.
They were patient and very helpful when I called them with a problem I created.
Let us know how things turn out.
Oklahomabound likes this.
bad ninja is online now   Reply With Quote