Clambering Issues with my 380 Bel Air - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #1

Clambering Issues with my 380 Bel Air

I bought my 380 Bel Air about a month ago and since then have probably shot over 200 rounds of 4 different kinds of ammo to try to figure out if the ammo was the issue. But every time I go to the range I have issues, the slide won't close far enough so the gun won't fire, or the slide will look like it has closed far enough but the hammer doesn't hit the firing pin so the gun won't fire. I have issues with almost all of the mags I have put through.

Now here is the kicker, my boyfriend has shot my gun and only had a few problems, my dad didn't have any issues, my brother in law didn't have any issues, and my sister had as many issues as I do. So why is the gun working better for the men and not the women? Especially since I would like this gun to be my everyday carry I don't feel safe with ALL of the issues and not sure if it's me or the gun!
starnovi likes this.
Carriecarlson67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #2

Originally Posted by Carriecarlson67 View Post
I bought my 380 Bel Air about a month ago
I have issues with almost all of the mags I have put through.
Always use the good one.

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #3

Welcome from Northeast, Pa. It sounds like your limp wristing the gun. Keep your shooting hand high on the grip and hold steady it with both hands.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois, I want to say the gun is performing better for the men because they are using a stronger grip. For the action to operate properly you have to hold the gun firmly. The second possibility is the recoil spring, remove your slide and see if the recoil spring is a round coil or flat wire spring. If it's a round coil then call Kimbers customer service and explain the problem to them, they will send you a new flat wire spring and guide rod.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
Hours: MF, 9 a.m.7 p.m. Eastern
starnovi likes this.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #5

I probably should have stated that my boyfriend also bought a 380 micro that day and I can shoot his just fine, and so can my sister. But thank you Chuck I called Kimber and they are sending me a spring and guide rod! Let's hope this is the answer!!
Chuck43, Markie and starnovi like this.
Carriecarlson67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #6

the slide won't close far enough so the gun won't fire, or the slide will look like it has closed far enough but the hammer doesn't hit the firing pin so the gun won't fire.

Now here is the kicker, my boyfriend has shot my gun and only had a few problems,
Hey, Carrie.
If your boyfriend had a few problems in a couple hundred rounds, that's still terrible performance.

But your specific problem sounds like either bogus ammo or an improperly reamed chamber. If you've experienced this with several different types of ammo, then I suspect the problem is the latter. If that is the case, Kimber can redo the barrel.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:08 PM   #7

I called Kimber and they are sending me a spring and guide rod! Let's hope this is the answer!!
Hmmm...
I HOPE that's the answer, but I'm skeptical.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #8

...the new design for the recoil system is definitely an improvement. I've shot with both installed and am liking the new one better. I'm thinking that will work for you.
...if you want to compare the chambers, yours could be tighter that the other one you've shot? With the pistol disassembled place a cartridge in each and see if it will fall out of each as easily? if yours hangs up Kimber will ream it into spec for free. The return to battery issue you've described would suggest more of a spring? Do you know if both pistols have the same recoil assemblies?
Cucamonga kid and Mini Me like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:45 PM   #9

The new flat wire spring and redesigned guide rod made all the difference in my wife's Bel Air. She went through a box of 100 Winchester white target rounds and not a single malfunction.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:37 AM   #10

I bought my 380 Bel Air about a month ago
Welcome to the forum, Carrie. Hopefully the new spring and rod will address the issues your are having. I have a Micro Bel Air model and love the classic style, little guy. Hey, and I am not a chick or a "girly man". My Bel Air got better after I broke it in, but it is not perfect. Like you, I want mine perfect. Kimber is sending me the replacement spring and rod. I believe it will make it perfect. We'll see.

Please report back after your install the upgraded parts.
starnovi likes this.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote