Post Yonkers Micro range report at 200 rnds - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #1

Post Yonkers Micro range report at 200 rnds

Second visit to the range with my Stainless Rosewood Micro and another 100 rounds of Winchester white box and Fiocchi ammo. Flawless. Perfect. Not a burp nor hiccup. All the new parts -- the flat spring, revised guide rod, slide lock and all the polishing and tweaking they did in Yonkers paid off in a perfectly working firearm. As I suspected the two failures to lock back in the first 100 after Yonkers were for sure due to my grip riding the slide release.

This pistol is so accurate, the trigger so good and the fit in my hand so perfect I have no doubts whatsoever that this will be my warm weather carry. And, considering it's almost always warm here, that means a virtual every day carry. It's a keeper. And after telling Luke in customer service I meant to dump it as soon as it came back, I'm going to let him know I'm now happy to be a very satisfied and proud Kimber owner.

Turns out I found out this morning there's a nice insurance settlement in my near future. Maybe one of those beautiful Ultra Carry numbers could end up my winter carry piece? Any recommendations on a 9 or 45 that's as reliable as this Micro has turned out to be?
Old 07-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #2

Thumbs up

Glad to hear Yonkers delivered on the goods and your Micro is performing perfectly. Congrats!
starnovi and John316 like this.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by John316 View Post
Turns out I found out this morning there's a nice insurance settlement in my near future. Maybe one of those beautiful Ultra Carry numbers could end up my winter carry piece? Any recommendations on a 9 or 45 that's as reliable as this Micro has turned out to be?

You'll find any of Kimbers Ultra 1911's to be as reliable as your Micro carry. If you want good looking the Ultra SS Raptor is the first to come to mind. If you want a gun with the most features for the money the Ultra Tactical would be my first choice. And if a BBQ gun is what you're looking for don't forget the Ultra Sapphire, Diamond, Onyx or Amethyst.
starnovi and John316 like this.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #4

I believe this just goes to validate the sending of a troubled weapon back to Kimber. No one likes the idea a spending good money,(and its all good money no matter how much it is) and having a weapon, car or bicycle that has problems. And everything is capable of have problems.
I believe one should give the manufacture a chance and maybe even two to rectify the issues.
As all of you know, I love my Solo, but I was also mad as hell when it jammed. I did everything in my power to make it run right. Now it does and I'm thrilled.
cousinmark, starnovi and John316 like this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:48 PM   #5

What grain ammo are you using? I'm still waiting for my micro to come back from Kimber but I want to buy some ammo to test at the range when I get it. Thanks.
John316 likes this.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:44 AM   #6

Originally Posted by starnovi View Post
What grain ammo are you using? I'm still waiting for my micro to come back from Kimber but I want to buy some ammo to test at the range when I get it. Thanks.
Both the Winchester and Fiocchi I shot yesterday were 95 gr. On the way home I picked up some Hornady Critical Defense to test out next range visit and it's 90 gr. I still have to order some Lehigh Defense or Underwood ammo which will be my carry load.
starnovi likes this.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:55 AM   #7

Good deal John :-) I'm glad the Micro is dialed in and sending the lead downrange nicely.
On your 9mm vs .45 question my vote would be for a 9mm. I mean no disrespect to the faithful here but personally I think the .45 is by nature too much in an Ultra. I know they work fine but the higher capacity and more manageable recoil/noise factor of a 9mm make it my choice. If you think +P ammo would be something you'd like to run more rather than less go with one that has a steel frame. Just my opinion.
...how about some pics in your next report :-)
Chuck43, Donald and John316 like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:29 PM   #8

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
On your 9mm vs .45 question my vote would be for a 9mm. I mean no disrespect to the faithful here but personally I think the .45 is by nature too much in an Ultra. I know they work fine but the higher capacity and more manageable recoil/noise factor of a 9mm make it my choice. If you think +P ammo would be something you'd like to run more rather than less go with one that has a steel frame.
You make a good point regarding the 9 vs.45 question. Actually, I want to do some shooting with some friend's or rentals. I'd like a 3 inch barrel but if that's too unmanageable for me with an alloy frame, I'll consider a steel frame or a 4 inch gun. I see wearing it owb under a shirt in cooler weather.

As I'm sure all of us know, it's delicious to think about another gun. The Ultra SS Raptor Chuck suggested is way up on my current dream list. Beautiful gun. Don't necessarily want a barbecue gun, but I do want a pretty one. In a perfect world I'd prefer not to have a rail or ambi safety, so there's that to think about as well.

And while you're exactly right about the 9's higher capacity and softer recoil, it's kind of nice to know you've got a big ol' .45 on your hip with a round that gets some attention when it hits where you're aiming.

You know, when you pick up a .45 cartridge it makes you think of John Wayne. When I pick up a .380 cartridge it makes me think of Roger Moore pretending to be James Bond.
Trex and cousinmark like this.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:06 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Good deal John :-) I'm glad the Micro is dialed in and sending the lead downrange nicely.
On your 9mm vs .45 question my vote would be for a 9mm. I mean no disrespect to the faithful here but personally I think the .45 is by nature too much in an Ultra. I know they work fine but the higher capacity and more manageable recoil/noise factor of a 9mm make it my choice. If you think +P ammo would be something you'd like to run more rather than less go with one that has a steel frame. Just my opinion.
...how about some pics in your next report :-)

Like you I mean no disrespect but with a proper grip and form a 3" .45 is no more difficult to shoot then a 9mm. I own both Ultra size guns and I'm 73 years old. If the .45 was too much for an Ultra size gun then Kimber wouldn't be making and selling so many of them. As I type this I have an Ultra Tactical .45 on my hip with a mag full of +P loads.
Marshall, cousinmark and John316 like this.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:11 PM   #10

Yup, I get what you're saying John. I think most of the more esteemed members here would fall on the .45 side of the fence :-) In looking I didn't find ANY Ultras in 9mm with all steel construction. There's a thread I started earlier and the guys didn't know of any available either. The all steel thought was with regard to using mainly +P ammo in a 9mm to get it up there zip wise. Your plan to shoot a few is probably the best way to go, see what works for you. You're better off hitting the target with the .380 than missing with the .45, I'm sure you'll be adept with either with a little range time :-)
Marshall and John316 like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote