It it time to say the Emperor has no clothes? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 07:38 PM   #1

It it time to say the Emperor has no clothes?

The Micro .380 is a great gun once it has the right spring and guide. But I'm not crazy about the way Kimber has and is handling this. I went to a new range today and ran into a gentleman with two Kimber's... both Raptor's... a 3 inch 9mm and a Micro .380. Talk about beautiful guns. But that's another topic for another day. He was there to try and make his .380 work... wouldn't hold open on last round, sometimes failure to go into battery. Who on this forum hasn't heard that story before?

He's going to send it to Yonkers so I'm sure there's a happy ending to this story... except for the fact both he and I each lost four weeks of ownership of the firearm. But the thing that irks me is how Kimber has chosen to handle this situation. Instead of a recall to make every .380 right, they've chosen to wait for the failures. My buddy has one with the original spring that continues to work fine. And of course there are many others. But it's obvious that in an effort to make the slide easy enough for women to work, they made it too easy. And now they're selling the fix on their website for $17? Really? That takes some New York balls.

So my rant is over. My Micro is going to be the gun I carry most every day and trust my life to. So that may be the bottom line. But there's sometimes a fine line between fanboy-dom and reality. I guess I've chosen to post this just for balance.

I like Kimber. I'm looking for another. But, come on...
Marshall, Oreste, Tinman and 4 others like this.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #2

Originally Posted by John316 View Post
The Micro .380 is a great gun once it has the right spring and guide. But I'm not crazy about the way Kimber has and is handling this. I went to a new range today and ran into a gentleman with two Kimber's... both Raptor's... a 3 inch 9mm and a Micro .380. Talk about beautiful guns. But that's another topic for another day. He was there to try and make his .380 work... wouldn't hold open on last round, sometimes failure to go into battery. Who on this forum hasn't heard that story before?

He's going to send it to Yonkers so I'm sure there's a happy ending to this story... except for the fact both he and I each lost four weeks of ownership of the firearm. But the thing that irks me is how Kimber has chosen to handle this situation. Instead of a recall to make every .380 right, they've chosen to wait for the failures. My buddy has one with the original spring that continues to work fine. And of course there are many others. But it's obvious that in an effort to make the slide easy enough for women to work, they made it too easy. And now they're selling the fix on their website for $17? Really? That takes some New York balls.

So my rant is over. My Micro is going to be the gun I carry most every day and trust my life to. So that may be the bottom line. But there's sometimes a fine line between fanboy-dom and reality. I guess I've chosen to post this just for balance.

I like Kimber. I'm looking for another. But, come on...
Sounds like another little gun that I won't mention...They have tarnished their reputation by not getting all of them recalled at once and fixing them....That's just my opinion though...
Oreste and Tinman like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #3

If you call them they will send you the new spring and guide rod for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #4

That's a nice rant, I liked it a lot.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #5

But the thing that irks me is how Kimber has chosen to handle this situation. Instead of a recall to make every .380 right, they've chosen to wait for the failures.
I never looked at it that way, but you're right. There are gun recalls all the time for far lesser problems. Kimber should at least put an ad in the American Rifleman and a few other rags, so their customers will at least be aware of the problem.

When I bought my first Glock back int the 90's, it was a great gun. About a year later, I got a letter saying something about the trigger group, and how they would fix it free of charge. My gun was great, so I put the letter in the filing cabinet and forgot about it. Twenty years later I discovered the letter. I called up Glock, and they said they would not only do the trigger work, but they'd upgrade everything else on the gun that has been improved over twenty years. And then they sent me a label.

That's the way a company SHOULD stand behind its products.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:45 PM   #6

I tend to agree with you on the recall. I think if Kimber were more pro-active in this area it would go over better with the Kimber owners. When the fix is done on a one at a time basis it begins to sound like a thousand different complaints and makes the brand look bad. I do realize that their CS is good but I am willing to bet they would like recall also so they could answer the phone with other questions instead of the same one over and over.
RustyIron likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:44 AM   #7

I see the points made by several posters above. Kimber could have chosen to be much more transparent and proactive in reaching out to Micro owners with a "fix" for poor initial spring and rod design.

My point is why did Kimber select an old spring design to begin with when they introduced the model? Why not a flat spring design right out of the gate? I mean my 1939 Luger has a round coil spring as does my 1938 Tokarev TT33. But, nobody today should consider introducing a new model with a round spring. What were they thinking?!

Regardless, at this time I am just happy that Kimber got it right finally, sent me new parts for free and that my Micro performs flawlessly.
Maineiac64 and Tinman like this.

Last edited by Donald; 09-08-2016 at 04:49 AM.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:46 AM   #8

Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
Sounds like another little gun that I won't mention...They have tarnished their reputation by not getting all of them recalled at once and fixing them....That's just my opinion though...
Interesting point. Seems Yonkers attention span is focused on the next "new thing". If so, leaving "old things" unresolved has been the downfall of many growing business.
Hell...if Yonkers sold Mexican food I would be afraid to eat it.
Marshall, Cybercycle and Mini Me like this.

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:41 AM   #9

Instead of a recall to make every .380 right, they've chosen to wait for the failures.
Absolutely! Instead of just making it right the first time.
Recalls are costly and damaging. It would save time, money and reputation to just take an extra minute or two to make sure every thing is correct BEFORE assembly instead of just shoving them out the door. It makes me wonder what they have for process/quality controls.
Marshall likes this.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:50 AM   #10

I too had the old spring in my Micro 380 purchased just a couple of weeks ago. I was really kickin myself for not checking it at time of purchase. I had read much about this here on KT. The guy at Gander Mountain told me they had just got a new shipment of them in so I "assumed" it had the new style spring (lesson learned )

I can't disagree with anything the previous posters have said about this situation. However, I would much rather have Kimber send me the spring and guide rod rather than sending the pistol back to them as that is a bigger hassle IMO. The CS rep I spoke with was courteous and professional and handled it all within a 2 minute phone conversation.
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote