Update on range report for Micro 380 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #1

Update on range report for Micro 380

So I tried to take everyone's advise, I cleaned and lubed, kept it wet, bought different ammos and went back to the range with my Advocate 380. I had 3 Kimber 7 round magazine and 1 Sig 6 round mag.

HPR 100 gr, 50 rounds had 5 failures to load...bullets angled up missing the chamber. 4 of the failures were on the next to last round, but 3 of them were from 1 of the Kimber magazines.

Winchester 95 gr. 50 rounds had 3 failures to chamber, 2 with that same magazine. Never shot Winchester before so I was surprised by the shape of the bullet, flat top. At this point, I put that magazine back into my range bag and did not use it further.

Sig Elite Perf 100 gr, 50 rounds had 1 failure to chamber, so things are improving. Accuracy is good with the pistol.

Atlanta Ammo 100 gr, 50 rounds no failures at all.

So I think that magazine was a the main problem and secondly the ammo. At least with each ammo the failures declined. In my previous range report I was using Blazer Brass 95 grain along with the magazine that I think is a problem. So hopefully with keeping it well lubed, not using that mag, and going with the Atlanta Ammo 100 gr, I will be problem free my next time out, which might be tonight, tomorrow at the latest!

Thanks again for all the help in working out the kinks!
Marshall, Markie, JC45 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by starnovi; 09-12-2016 at 02:42 PM.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #2

Good to hear, glad it is improving.
starnovi likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #3

Load those mags up and let them sit loaded for a while. I had the same problem with my Micro 380 when I first got it. Leaving them loaded will help break those springs in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
starnovi likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2016, 05:02 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Albert.Cairns View Post
Load those mags up and let them sit loaded for a while. I had the same problem with my Micro 380 when I first got it. Leaving them loaded will help break those springs in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Hate spending money on mags only to find out they are a problem!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:10 PM   #5

I know the Kimber mag springs are stiffer than the ones I have for my M and P Bodyguard 380. Loading them and letting them sit, helped improve the one for my wife's Kimber.
starnovi likes this.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #6

Shoot it often and see if it improves . If not send to KIMBER and let them tune it up. New springs and chamber polishing. I'm convinced that most Kimbers need some type of extracter adjustment and chamber polishing maybe even throated. Now running tons of ammo through it may help it wear in, but I would send it back. You may be out a little time but when it comes back you will have confidence in the pistol. Look up my past post if you like.
starnovi likes this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:35 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Nellybelle View Post
Shoot it often and see if it improves . If not send to KIMBER and let them tune it up. New springs and chamber polishing. I'm convinced that most Kimbers need some type of extracter adjustment and chamber polishing maybe even throated. Now running tons of ammo through it may help it wear in, but I would send it back. You may be out a little time but when it comes back you will have confidence in the pistol. Look up my past post if you like.
Problem is this micro has already been back to Kimber. I had only had it less than a week and had lots of failures in the 3 times that I took it to the range. When I spoke to Kimber they issued a RMA, they had it for about 2 1/2 week. They adjusted extractor, polished and reamed the chamber, refinished the barrel, replaced the slide lock, recoil spring, and guide rod. I had some failures after it was returned, but then stop taking it to the range. I've documented the failures that I continue to have on my last 2 range reports. I'm about to add to them now since I was at the range again today. Really thought that this ammo would do the trick, but it didn't.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #8

Another update

Went back to the range today with the Advocate micro 380 and UC2 9mm.

Still had failures with the 2 extended mags. Shot 100 rounds Atlanta Ammo 100gr. Had 7 failures to chamber and 1 failure to eject. What I found interesting was that 5 of the 8 failures came on the 5th round. Then 1 on the 4th, and 1 on the 7th. 3 failures from mag 1, 5 failures from mag 2. So now, I don't know if it's me, the pistol, the mags, or the ammo. I kept mag 3 out of rotation because last time most failures were with that mag. Any suggestions? Is there something I can do with the mags? Should I take them apart and clean them?

Photos 1&2 are the Micro at 5yds & 6 yds. Photos 3&4 are UC2 at 7yds. With both pistols there are few high shots. I've noticed that every once in a while, I shoot a round before coming back on target....heavy trigger finger? I tried to be careful about it but I continue to sneak one in unexpectedly!

One other thing that I forgot to mention is that I got hit in the face (nose, forehead, and right eyebrow), head, and neck quite frequently with the 380. Had to wipe my face down when I was finished! No hits from the UC2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2890.JPG (1.81 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2891.JPG (1.66 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2892.JPG (1.77 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2893.JPG (1.74 MB, 11 views)
Rangemeister and Markie like this.

Last edited by starnovi; 09-13-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:05 PM   #9
Super Moderator

One more thing to try, after I load a magazine I always hold it by the base in my right hand and with the flat back end of the magazine facing my left had I slap it against the palm of my left hand. This insures that the bullets in the magazine are all seated in line against the back of the magazine.
Markie and starnovi like this.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:09 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
One more thing to try, after I load a magazine I always hold it by the base in my right hand and with the flat back end of the magazine facing my left had I slap it against the palm of my left hand. This insures that the bullets in the magazine are all seated in line against the back of the magazine.
Thank you Chuck. I give that a try on my next go round. At this point I have at least 600 rounds through this pistol. I was hoping it would be running smooth by now. Next trip I'm going to ask one of the RO or gunsmith if he is not busy to shoot it and see what they think. If I'm the problem then I might want to put this pistol away.