First time out.... - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #1

First time out....

Wife and I went to the range today. I had my new Kimber Micro Carry, she had her trusty Bersa Thunder Concealed Carry, both in .380.

I shot 100+ rounds of store bought ammo to break my pistol in. She shot a similar number of mild reloads. My shooting was a bit more accurate than hers, but the sights on the Kimber are a lot better. She fired the Kimber a few times, but didn't like it. The recoil was just too snappy for her. The Bersa has nice hand filling grips (which I made out of curly maple for her) and they are long enough for the magazine to hold 8 rounds vs. 6 in the Kimber.

The Kimber ran fine. The only glitch I ran into was that the slide failed to stay open after the last round three times. I even fired a magazine of the mild reloads through the Kimber w/o a problem. Not sure if it's the flat recoil spring, but it was as dependable as the wife's Bersa which has thousands of rounds though it.

Not sure what's with the slide not staying open, but it's a minor problem that I won't loose sleep over. I'll buy another magazine and see if that makes a difference.

Oh, one final thought: The trigger pull is terrible on the Kimber. Heavy with a lot of creep. I'm gonna have to do something about that.
2sharp2, swca, Pops6116 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Rumfire; 09-17-2016 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Additional thought
Rumfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-17-2016, 03:31 PM   #2

Congrats on your new Micro. Enjoy, and be safe out there. If you read some of the posts you'll see several incidents such as you described. KImber is pretty good in response. Call Yonkers and talk with a CS person. Ask for a new spring and guide rod and they will send you one, quickly, free. The new guide rod is notched at the bottom to fit the barrel. The spring is flat wound and extends when mounted making a tight fit into it's place.

I dunno' about the trigger??? Mine is smooth as silk, most members are happy with their's as well. Compared to my Glock22 it's way better. Good luck!

Last edited by 80 deuce; 09-17-2016 at 03:37 PM.
80 deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #3

Pretty pistols! We have a Kimber Micro Carry 380, we love it. Welcome to the forum from a Middle Tennessean. On the trigger pull, haven't noticed anything that I would complain about with ours. Most the time when we go shooting I take along my Colt 45, Shield 9mm, Bodyguard 380 plus the Kimber. Load them up and shoot. On the last round, have you tried using snap caps to cycle them through?
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.

Last edited by Markie; 09-17-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #4

Welcome from Northeast, Pa. A range officer let me shoot his 9mm Bersa and I was very surprised how well it shot.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:32 PM   #5

Rumfire, welcome to the site from Tennessee. Your Kimber is pretty.
Probably lucky for you that your wife didn't like the Kimber.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:04 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum from Ohio!

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #7

Welcome to KT from So.Cal. Thank you for the report we love pictures! Nice Kimber! The grips on the Bersa look comfy nice work!

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:06 AM   #8

I usually don,t purchase firearms during a first run but I couldn,t resist and picked up a SS Micro 9. Happy to announce a 480 round shake down test of several different brands of 115gr. FMJ. 124gr HP, 115gr personal defense ammo and my personal handloads without a single hiccup. Impressed. If this continues at the next range session I will call it my daily carry and wear it like underwear.
Pops6116 and starnovi like this.
Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:14 AM   #9

First...welcome to the forum! Thanks for the range report and I have to add that the trigger on my Micro Carry is fine. Yours shouldn't function the way you describe it.

Interesting about your wife's feedback and is similar to my wife's on my Kimbers. She carried a Bersa Thunder in 9mm for years and considers them one of the most underrated handguns out there (I agree). She now carries a Glock. BTW...really like the grips on your wife's Bersa...nice job making those.
starnovi likes this.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:17 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
I usually don,t purchase firearms during a first run but I couldn,t resist and picked up a SS Micro 9. Happy to announce a 480 round shake down test of several different brands of 115gr. FMJ. 124gr HP, 115gr personal defense ammo and my personal handloads without a single hiccup. Impressed. If this continues at the next range session I will call it my daily carry and wear it like underwear.
" I will call it my daily carry and wear it like underwear." Do you rotate your daily carry often? I hope.
Great report Sahara except you did not mention Rumfire in your post. I doubt that you meant to do that but some would consider it hijacking.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote