• 2 Post By cousinmark
  • 1 Post By Markie
  • 1 Post By Tejun
  • 1 Post By cousinmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #1

A Tale of Two Micros

Mornin Folks,

Made it to the range again yesterday with my two Kimber Micros (M9 & M380). As mentioned in previous posts, the M9 has been doing fantastic with no issues at all. I'm now just a shade under 500 rounds through it and happy with it's performance so it has moved up to one of my Concealed Carry options !!! Happy, Happy, Happy

Yesterday was also my third trip with the Micro 380. I had ordered a Kimber 7 rnd extended mag and was eager to try it out. I loaded up all the mags last week and let them sit with springs under tension in the mags. Started off with American Eagle 95gr in all three mags and shot all 20 rounds with only one issue; the slide did not lock open on the last round using the modified Sig mag. Reloaded and went through 20 more rounds with no issues and the slide locked this time using the Sig mag. Next I loaded up the Kimber 7 rnd mag with the Winchester JHP round and the gun would not chamber a round. Every time I would cycle the slide the nose of the bullet seemed to move downward instead of up towards the feed ramp. I've now given up on using this ammo in my Kimber and will use it in my Colt Mustang (which handles them with no hiccups).

Reloaded all the 380 mags with more AE and on the third round (using Kimber extended mag) the slide prematurely locked open. Cycled with no problem and finished that mag. Shot through the flush 6 round Kimber mag and no issues. Next up was the Sig mag and had one FTF. Reloaded all mags and started with the Kimber 7 rnd and had a FTE on the third round. Could not get the slide to relatch on the casing, and could not remove the casing with my fingernail. At that point I was ready to just pack up and go home, figuring it was time to send the M380 to Yonkers. When I got it home, broke it down and it was super dirty. I had cleaned and lubed (wet) last week in preparation for next range trip. Cleaned it up and will make another trip to range before deciding whether to send back to Kimber for some TLC.

I'm confident it will ultimately get dialed in, and certainly not ready to put in gun safe as an unused "place holder".
Chuck43, Tinman, Markie and 3 others like this.
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #2

Sorry to hear the .380 was hanging up. I've had the best results using my 6 round magazines. With the 7s there've been a few snags (2 or 3) in the last 250 or so rounds that I've used them. This may have occurred with the same one, I'm not sure? I have been using the "Breakthrough" high purity oil on my Micro. It's thinner than normal gun oil and I think it helps the Micro do better? This could be a coincidence but she's been doing really well so...
Markie and starnovi like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #3

I was sitting here typing, just about done and the internet goes down...here I go again. Our Kimber Micro 380 loves the American Eagle 95gr, in fact I bought a box earlier while I was out. My wife qualified with hers back in December, it shot all 50 of them with no failure to feed. I have noticed a difference also in the 7 rd and the 6 rd magazines. We went to the range on Monday...we already had a 6 rd loaded up so I thought I would start things out shooting, no problem. My wife was loading up some 7 rds mags, we had a couple that hung up but then we were using different ammo other than the American Eagle. We have several magazines...I have been trying to pinpoint which one doesn't like to feed correctly, maybe next trip.
starnovi likes this.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #4

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Sorry to hear the .380 was hanging up. I've had the best results using my 6 round magazines. With the 7s there've been a few snags (2 or 3) in the last 250 or so rounds that I've used them. This may have occurred with the same one, I'm not sure? I have been using the "Breakthrough" high purity oil on my Micro. It's thinner than normal gun oil and I think it helps the Micro do better? This could be a coincidence but she's been doing really well so...
Thanks, I'm gonna look for that type of oil and try it out.
Markie likes this.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:12 PM   #5

Where did you get your oil? Breakthrough" high purity oil, just wondering if one of my local gun stores might stock it.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:33 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Markie View Post
Where did you get your oil? Breakthrough" high purity oil, just wondering if one of my local gun stores might stock it.
I just found this kit on Amazon. One is on its way to me now....

https://www.amazon.com/Breakthrough-...purity+gun+oil
Old 09-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #7

You can also get the Breakthrough products at Brownells and I believe through VZ grips too. They also make a grease and an eco friendly solvent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3119.JPG (2.34 MB, 2 views)
Markie likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:55 PM   #8

I was hoping a local dealer might have it in stock around here. I need to check the Outpost Armory down the road a few miles. The Breakthrough site didn't show them as a dealer though....