• 1 Post By starnovi
  • 2 Post By Chuck43
  • 1 Post By cousinmark
  • 1 Post By starnovi
  • 1 Post By 2sharp2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #1

10/9 99% again ???

...I'm now at 900 rounds on the flat wire recoil rig. I'm thinking I'll switch to a new spring as I had another hang up today? Brought 100 rounds of Fiocchi 95gr FMJ (blue box) and around shot 40 I had spent cartridge wind up getting caught by the slide? I was modifying my grip some today. I've read that too tight of a grip with the strong hand can cause the shots to go left. As I'm trying to get more on center I was holding progressively lighter each mag. The hang up occurred during the softest grip? I tightened up after that and the next 60 rounds were flawless, the spring looks ok so maybe it was the grip that caused the snag?
...target was at '25
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (1.70 MB, 9 views)
Pops6116 and starnovi like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #2

Looks like micro's can be somewhat grip sensitive?
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:10 PM   #3

Target looks good to me!
You may have already seen this video but I thought it was very helpful for using my micros.

https://youtu.be/pj3IJQFvBqE
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2016, 07:27 PM   #4

Cousinmark, when you first got your micro were you having a lot of failures with it? Did you have to send back to Kimber or did you shoot your way through it? When I first started out with my UC2, it gave me quite a hard time, it was discouraging and I felt that I had a $1600 lemon. This was before I found the forum, the gunsmith told me to try different ammo, 124 instead of the 115 and I just kept shooting the damn thing every time I went to the range. After 500 rounds or so, it just calmed down and behaved itself. Now it's got about 2500 rounds through it and I never worry about failures anymore. I'm hoping my 380 will do the same very soon, it has about 500 through it now and it's been to Kimber once already. I had it out yesterday and had only 2 failures, but between the M9 and the 380 I was getting beaten up with lead to the head, face, neck, and chest! When I come off the range, I have to wash my face!
cousinmark likes this.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:35 PM   #5
Super Moderator

What ammo are you shooting, that's not lead but powder. Winchester White Box and a couple of others are famous for giving you a dirt bath when firing them.
2sharp2 and starnovi like this.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:42 PM   #6

Originally Posted by starnovi View Post
Cousinmark, when you first got your micro were you having a lot of failures with it? Did you have to send back to Kimber or did you shoot your way through it? When I first started out with my UC2, it gave me quite a hard time, it was discouraging and I felt that I had a $1600 lemon. This was before I found the forum, the gunsmith told me to try different ammo, 124 instead of the 115 and I just kept shooting the damn thing every time I went to the range. After 500 rounds or so, it just calmed down and behaved itself. Now it's got about 2500 rounds through it and I never worry about failures anymore. I'm hoping my 380 will do the same very soon, it has about 500 through it now and it's been to Kimber once already. I had it out yesterday and had only 2 failures, but between the M9 and the 380 I was getting beaten up with lead to the head, face, neck, and chest! When I come off the range, I have to wash my face!
I ran about 600 rounds with mine before sending it in to Kimber Starnovi. During that initial period there were various intermittent failures, 2 or 3 each 100 rounds. In talking with several folks at Kimber I found any break in should happen within a few hundred rounds. There's actually not supposed to be a break in period for Micros, they're supposed to run well out of the box. After being returned things were much better, failures have been rare and normally occur after the 400 round mark of a recoil spring. The old traditional springs would need to be replaced at around 600 rounds and things would run well again. With this new flat wire spring I'm happy to be well past the 600 round mark and still running fairly well. I'm thinking I'll go another 100 rounds with this spring just to get to the 1000 shot mark for the heck of it? I'll feel better with a fresh one in there. In fairness I've never had a failure in the first few magazines of any range visit even before the "spa day" in Yonkers. Point being although there would be better options to bring into battle, for what it is, the Micro is fine. As any problems I've ever had are after 20 or more rounds I'm not sure if getting dirty may not be part of the issue? Speaking of skunky ammo add PMC Bronze and Atlanta Arms reloaded stuff to the list, nasty :-)
starnovi likes this.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #7

PMC did not run well for me when I used it in the 380. I have Atlanta Arms but pretty sure it is new, not reloads, but I am going to check on that now. We usually buy bulk ammo from the range, but may have to shop around more.

Aghhhh, I just read on Atlanta Ammo website that they make remanufactured ammo and match ammo, so it's safe to say that what I thought was new is remanufactured. Definitely need to shop somewhere else now. Head slap!
cousinmark likes this.

Last edited by starnovi; 10-09-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:11 PM   #8

Originally Posted by starnovi View Post
PMC did not run well for me when I used it in the 380. I have Atlanta Arms but pretty sure it is new, not reloads, but I am going to check on that now. We usually buy bulk ammo from the range, but may have to shop around more.

Aghhhh, I just read on Atlanta Ammo website that they make remanufactured ammo and match ammo, so it's safe to say that what I thought was new is remanufactured. Definitely need to shop somewhere else now. Head slap!
I like Sportsman's Guide, great selection and prices. Every few weeks they offer free shipping for ammo too :-)
Old 10-09-2016, 11:02 PM   #9

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
...I'm now at 900 rounds on the flat wire recoil rig. I'm thinking I'll switch to a new spring as I had another hang up today? Brought 100 rounds of Fiocchi 95gr FMJ (blue box) and around shot 40 I had spent cartridge wind up getting caught by the slide? I was modifying my grip some today. I've read that too tight of a grip with the strong hand can cause the shots to go left. As I'm trying to get more on center I was holding progressively lighter each mag. The hang up occurred during the softest grip? I tightened up after that and the next 60 rounds were flawless, the spring looks ok so maybe it was the grip that caused the snag?
...target was at '25

Check this chart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Trigger Chart.jpeg (103.7 KB, 5 views)
cousinmark likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:18 AM   #10

That's the chart I've read. I get a lot of shots in the 7 and 8 o'clock area. I actually thought the sights were off on my Ruger LC9s. I typically shoot standing with two hands at a fairly quick pace. Had almost all the shots in that area. When I sat down and shot supported at a slow rate all was good. The Kimber manual states "limp wristing" will cause malfunctions in a Micro so I may have gone too far with it?