Micro Raptor or P238 Equinox? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #1

Micro Raptor or P238 Equinox?

New to the forum and looking to pick up a new concealed firearm.

I currently have a S&W M&P 9c but it's too heavy to carry comfortably and am looking into the .380's.

I was pretty set on getting a p238 Equinox but then I saw the Kimber Raptor Stainless 380 online and it really caught my eye.

My brain says go for the p238 because just about every owner online raves about it. My eyes are drawn to the Kimber due to the aesthetics. Beautiful looking piece but there are just so many complaints about folks having issues and having to send it back to Kimber.

Obviously this is a Kimber forum and many will be bias, but what do you guys think? Sig or Kimber?

Also I can't seem to find a decent deal online for the Kimber Raptor Stainless. I hit up a few spots this weekend and no luck. Any hints or tips to point me in the right direction?
TEJASPOWER and starnovi like this.
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-09-2016, 09:48 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum Enzo!

If you dig a little deeper into the Sig's (Sigtalk forum) you will find that many have had problems with the p238 and p938 dropping the magazine during firing.

I own both Sigs (p238 & p938) and a Kimber Ultra Raptor II. All are very nice pistols. But I've had problems with the p938 dropping the mag during firing. Sent it back to Sig and I think they've fixed the problem. I just saying this so you will know there are a lot of Sig owners frustrated with the problems they are having with the P238 just like you mentioned some Kimber owners are frustrated with the problems they are having with their Kimbers.

I say try to find a range that will let you shoot both pistols and then your decision should be easier.
Texas Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:56 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
New to the forum and looking to pick up a new concealed firearm.

I currently have a S&W M&P 9c but it's too heavy to carry comfortably and am looking into the .380's.

I was pretty set on getting a p238 Equinox but then I saw the Kimber Raptor Stainless 380 online and it really caught my eye.

My brain says go for the p238 because just about every owner online raves about it. My eyes are drawn to the Kimber due to the aesthetics. Beautiful looking piece but there are just so many complaints about folks having issues and having to send it back to Kimber.

Obviously this is a Kimber forum and many will be bias, but what do you guys think? Sig or Kimber?

Also I can't seem to find a decent deal online for the Kimber Raptor Stainless. I hit up a few spots this weekend and no luck. Any hints or tips to point me in the right direction?
Enzo, welcome to the site from Tennessee.

I wouldn't call our members biased exactly since many members here own both Kimber's and Sigs, all kinds and brands of weapons. If they are bias it may be for good reason. Well ok maybe we are bias. I would buy the Micro.

The Micro Raptor Stainless, I feel is a popular model line and is one I would consider buying also. The MSRP is $842.00.
I don't know where you have checked online but my go to online site is GunBroker. There is currently 22 different auctions for Micro Raptor Stainless and all of them are listed under the $842 msrp, there was probably 10 or 12 active auctions. Some bids at 400 bucks. The number of listings with bids tells me it is very popular and it looks awesome. I don't know what dollar amount you consider a deal but with a little luck you might score one under MSRP.
starnovi likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2016, 06:08 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Enzo, I'm one of those Kimber guys that owns both a Sig P238 SAS and P938 SAS. I bought my Sig's before Kimber came out with the Micro Carry line. The P238 and Micro Carry are the same gun on the inside the difference is cosmetics on the outside. I'm not about to give up my Sigs but if I ever needed another .380 that Kimber Raptor would be at the top of my list.

2sharp2, starnovi and iwilc2 like this.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:18 AM   #5

Think more about the P238. More standard stuff for less bucks than the Micro 380. Same applies to the P938 vs Marshall 9.
I know some folks are not interested in gun math. Net cost of Chuck's^^^^^SAS speaks loud and clear toward value of satisfaction vs probable value loss.

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #6

Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Enzo, I was stuck in the same "boat" a few months ago and decided on the Kimber Micro Stainless. There were a couple of things that persuaded me into the Kimber ... I am a RSO and had the opportunity to shoot both the Sig and Kimber on the same day. Both pistols functioned flawlessly and shot amazingly accurately for such a short barrel. Why I chose the Kimber is simple, price and extra magazine cost. I happened into a Gander Mountain where they had the Kimber Micro Stainless on sale (keep in mind it's not the Raptor version) $519.00. And magazines for the Kimber are half the price of the Sig mags. I just purchased an extended 7 round mag at BPS for $21.99.

Although my Kimber doesn't have the "new and improved" recoil spring/guide rod, I haven't had any issues with it with probably about 300 rounds down range.
starnovi and iwilc2 like this.
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #7

Hi Enzo, welcome to the forum from GA. I think at some point we've all been where you are now...plans to buy one pistol then see the Kimber version and it's all over! No doubt about it, it's a great looking pistol. Would be great if you could try them both out a range, although I've never seen a Kimber for rent at ranges that I've been to, but they always have the Sigs. Not going to lie, people have had problems with their micros, myself included, but they either shoot through it or send it back to Kimber. If you want a better looking Sig search around for the special editions online, you may find something more appealing to the eye.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #8

It's hard to beat the looks of the Micro Raptor IMO. If you compare the two in hand you should find the Raptor has more rounded lines. I haven't held the Sig model you're looking at but in general they're more "boxy". Let us know what you go with :-)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Texas Raptor View Post
Welcome to the forum Enzo!

If you dig a little deeper into the Sig's (Sigtalk forum) you will find that many have had problems with the p238 and p938 dropping the magazine during firing.

I own both Sigs (p238 & p938) and a Kimber Ultra Raptor II. All are very nice pistols. But I've had problems with the p938 dropping the mag during firing. Sent it back to Sig and I think they've fixed the problem. I just saying this so you will know there are a lot of Sig owners frustrated with the problems they are having with the P238 just like you mentioned some Kimber owners are frustrated with the problems they are having with their Kimbers.

I say try to find a range that will let you shoot both pistols and then your decision should be easier.
I had same issue with my p938 but sig fixed it and it its perfect now. Never any problems with feeding, ejecting, just the mag drops. Nice accurate gun. Never owned a micro.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #10

Question about the Raptors appearance.....

Some of the pics I've seen online the frame seems kind of a greenish/silver and then on some pics the frame looks more silver missing the greenish tint.

Are all of the frames actually the same color or did Kimber change it slightly in the newer produced Raptors?
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
kimber micro 9 vs sig p938

micro rapter vs p238

Click on a term to search for related topics.