Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By heartotexas
  • 2 Post By Rumfire
  • 1 Post By Albert.Cairns
  • 1 Post By Donald

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #1

Micro 380 guide rod and spring

I had a really superb experience with Kimber service on the phone today. Short story, took only 5 minutes on the phone describing what happened with my Micro 380 and what our local gunsmith said and they have a new guide rod and spring in the mail.

Longer story...Bought one of the first Micro 380's out last year, all black one with rubber grips. Havent shot it much but gave it to the wife for her license to carry class and qualification...Although she has fired several hundred rounds through it, the day of the actual qualification (figures) she had 12 Failure to Feeds (FTF) out of 50 rounds and two where the round was fully fed but simply wouldn't fire (yes it was fully seated)...the FTFs were at least 10 where the slide locked to the rear rather than feeding the next round....

Very annoying to say the least....

Local gunsmith said he had dealt with several Kimber Micro's that did this and recommended we call Kimber...He said he could fix it with a non kimber spring and guide rod but it would void the warranty...

I called Kimber and they concurred the original guide rod and spring has been redesigned and solves these issues...seriously, counting hold time, took only 5 minutes.

Note: original guide rod is completely round where it locks up against the barrel...the new guide rod is half moon shaped....new spring is different as well, it will go in any direction as opposed to having one end which has to go in a certain way...

Hope this helps someone avoid some frustration.
RustyIron and starnovi like this.
heartotexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #2

I think most of us micro 380 owners have been through this too, and have had our spring and guide rod changed out. I feel sorry for your wife having to go through that during qualification; must have been very frustrating. Hope she passed and I hope the pistol runs better for you now.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #3

Note: original guide rod is completely round where it locks up against the barrel...the new guide rod is half moon shaped....new spring is different as well, it will go in any direction as opposed to having one end which has to go in a certain way...
How about some pics of the new 'half moon' guide rod in the correct position.

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2016, 08:16 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
How about some pics of the new 'half moon' guide rod in the correct position.
New style spring and guide rod:

Spring and guide rod in position:
cousinmark and starnovi like this.
Rumfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:33 AM   #5

Starnovi summed it up, those of us who shoot our Micro's a lotppi had a problem and Kimber quickly replaced the guide and spring. My pistol is back to being a 100% shooter. It took only a couple of days to receive the parts, i also ordered some slide stop springs as this looks like an easy spring to loose.
Ibmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #6

I was a lucky one never had a problem after the initial first box or so of ammo. Once the gun got broke in the original spring and guide worked flawless on mine. But I did call Kimber and they shipped me the new guide rod and spring which I have installed. Little gun still runs great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RustyIron likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:18 AM   #7

My Micro improved with time and the more rounds I fired. It was nearly 100% when Kimber revised the rod and spring. When Kimber sent my replacement set I installed it immediately and the Micro has been perfect. Nearly 100% is nice, but always 100% (thus far) is preferred. I am glad Kimber revised those parts.
Chuck43 likes this.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
how to replace the barrel spring on a kimber micro 380
installing the guide rod in a kimber micro 380

kimber 380 install new guide rod

kimber micro 380 guide rod

kimber micro e80 guide rod

Click on a term to search for related topics.