• 1 Post By Itsmescot
  • 1 Post By montanaResident
  • 1 Post By montanaResident
  • 1 Post By RustyIron
  • 2 Post By RustyIron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2016, 11:46 AM   #1

10/17/16 100% :-)

Another 100 rounds today, 50 rounds of Fiocchi 95gr FMJ and 50 rounds of Aguila 95gr FMJ without incident :-), used the 6 round mags. This puts me at the 1000 round mark on the flat wire recoil system. It's nice to have made it that far on the same spring. In the 1000 rounds I've had a total of 5 failures none of which have happened before 25 rounds into a session. I'm going to blame 2 of them on magazines and 3 on grip. All in all I'm happy with the flat wire rig :-)
...today's paper was at 25'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (1.85 MB, 9 views)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-17-2016, 05:19 PM   #2

Just my opinion but... I do not think that target will survive this.....
MPO Southy likes this.
Itsmescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #3
Banned

Originally Posted by Itsmescot View Post
Just my opinion but... I do not think that target will survive this.....
Paper targets are tough. God help us all if they ever return fire.
Chuck43 likes this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
Banned

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
This puts me at the 1000 round mark on the flat wire recoil system. It's nice to have made it that far on the same spring.
I'm in a different camp, whereas springs never wear out, at least not until after way way more then 1000. Maybe 100,000, but only just maybe.
cousinmark likes this.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:18 PM   #5

Originally Posted by montanaResident View Post
I'm in a different camp, whereas springs never wear out, at least not until after way way more then 1000. Maybe 100,000, but only just maybe.
100k??? Are you eating those magic mushrooms from in the woods again Montana??? You're really not supposed to eat too many of those babies :-)
On a serious note Micro springs don't last too long? This newer design has outperformed 5 or 6 of the traditional ones the pistol was originally shipped with. Them's the breaks when it comes to some springs I guess? On the bright side they're relatively cheap so it's not a big deal to keep up to date on the recommended change intervals. With the Micro .380s it's 1000 rounds. Although the one I had in there earlier looked to still be ok I replaced it when I cleaned her up this evening. The new one was a good inch longer.
On a related note, I recently bought a Ruger LC9s. There was no mention of a recommended change interval for the recoil spring assembly (it's a dual captured deal) in the manual? I thought that was odd so I asked the Ruger CS guy. He said there was no recommended change interval and he'd never had anyone have a problem, just call if I did and they'd send me a new one free??? Pretty cool, maybe it will go that 100k :-)
Old 10-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #6

I've seen guns that were well worn, but I've never seen one that was damaged from running an old spring. The exception was my first Broomhandle Mauser. The slide stop could have been damaged due to an old spring. But it might have been damaged through the use of 7.62x25 which is hotter than the 7.63x25 that the gun was made for. Even so, I'll change the springs every decade or so on guns that get shot a lot.
Spotly likes this.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:38 PM   #7
Banned

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Even so, I'll change the springs every decade or so on guns that get shot a lot.
I've changed the springs on the advise of online internet 'experts'. Sadly it was not the (flat spring, nor the ammo, nor the magazine, etc.) springs but something else. But what do I know?
Old 10-17-2016, 09:44 PM   #8

Originally Posted by montanaResident View Post
I've changed the springs on the advise of online internet 'experts'.
That's why I do it so often. I don't want to suffer condescending sneers from the Internet Ingelligencia. But seriously, changing springs on your gun is kind of like changing the oil in your truck. It just "feels" better afterwards.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #9

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
I've seen guns that were well worn, but I've never seen one that was damaged from running an old spring. The exception was my first Broomhandle Mauser. The slide stop could have been damaged due to an old spring. But it might have been damaged through the use of 7.62x25 which is hotter than the 7.63x25 that the gun was made for. Even so, I'll change the springs every decade or so on guns that get shot a lot.
I'm not so much concerned about a worn spring causing damage as much as poor function. With these Micros the original springs were anemic and I was told by Kimber there were variations in production quality. The spring is one of the first things to consider if you've got a Micro that doesn't go bang as often as you want it to. A pocket pistol that's not reliable isn't worth the space it takes up in your pocket :-) That being said, like Montana mentioned it's not always the spring? These little guys have challenged some of our mental fortitude, mine included. One of the better examples, if you like to read, would be the "strange performance" thread by Spotly. It's here in the Micro area. Spotly is sorta the JOB of Micro owners (God bless you dude) and ultimately had his problem solved by a private smith. It's a good read, so much so that I shared it with several Kimber sales and CS executives :-)
..."glass half full", it seems like the new recoil system in an improvement and most Micro .380 get to go bang more often :-)