Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #1

Fresh From Yonkersville - Range Report

Range Report 11-3-16
Micro 380
Fresh off the UPS truck from Yonkersville, I had grandioso expectations that this little jewel was gonna come out a blazing without any issues. Began the session with some Monarch 95gr FMJ ammo. Shot two magazines without any issues at all. First mag (target pic attached) are the rounds in the head area. Second mag, I settled down and got a nice group in the 7 mark area just below neck on the target. That was all of the Monarch ammo that I had brought. Next I went to the Freedom Munitions ammo I just bought 100gr. Had a failure to feed on third round. Finished that mag (Kimber 7 rnd), and inserted the sig mag and went through without any issues. Next set, inserted mag (slide locked open) and when I cycled the slide the nose of the bullet went downward and would not feed. Locked slide removed the mag tapped mag in my palm to seat all the rounds, re-installed and same thing. Removed the mag, took 1 round out (now 7 rnd mag with 6 rounds) and tried again. Round fed. Acquired target, fired and slide partially locked open (FTF). DANGIT !!!! Cycled again, shot one more round, and same thing. I now had a single shot pistol experience as I was having to cycle the slide after firing each round. It would eject the spent casing fine, just not feed the new round. Getting pretty frustrated about then.. reloaded mags, and this time, I started with slide in normal closed position. Cycled in a slingshot motion and the round fed. Shot through that mag with no issues. Reloaded a fresh mag, cycled same as before and on the 5th round, I got a FTE (see pic). It seemed that every magazine at that point had some type of an issue. Other than the first two mags with the Monarch, I pretty much had some type of issue with each session of the two mags. Both mags were giving me problems, so I can't say its a mag issue (I think). I figure if it were me, limpwristing or something, the same issues would present themselves with my Micro 9 at least.

The one thing I noticed about the FM ammo is their fmj rounds had a squared end much like a hollowpoint, where the Monarch ammo did not and I had no issues with the Monarch.

According to the Repair Order, the following was done to it in Yonkersville:
- Replaced Extractor, Slide Stop and recoil spring
- Refinished Barrel
- Reamed and polished chamber

They test fired 3 mags of Pierce 100 Gr RNHB and 1 mag of Hornady 90 Gr JHP

Im gonna buy some of the Pierce ammo like they used and see how that goes at next range trip. At this point, Im not totally giving up, but certainly getting a bit frustrated at this experience. Will clean, lube up and try again next week.

FORTUNATELY, my experience today with my Micro 9mm and brand new Ultra Carry were stellar so not a total bad range trip. Those experiences will be logged in the appropriate areas on this forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-3 RangeTrip 2.jpg (101.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 11-3 RangeTrip 3.jpg (97.4 KB, 11 views)
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #2

Glad to here your UC9 is working nicely. I'd be upset after receiving my gun back and still having problems. I hope it works out.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:23 PM   #3

I think Pierce ammo closed down and sold all there stock.
haroldpo6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #4

Sorry the Micro didn't do so well with the FM ammo TG. With mine 95gr FMJ with a rounded tip works best for range ammo and both Hornady and Fiocchi 90gr XTP have been flawless for defense stuff. Using the slide stop to chamber a round doesn't give you quite as much juice as slingshotting the slide. I think even the new flatware recoil springs are rated for 8# so the little extra you get slingshotting makes a difference, especially with flat tipped ammo. I hope things go better next time out?
...Glad the other pistols were more fun to shoot :-)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #5

Too bad you are still having problems. Mine has been to the range 3 times since it came home from Yonkers. It has performed flawlessly. I shoot my own reloads (JHP and FMJ round nose) all said at the risk oh jinxing it's performance. Hope yours improves soon.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #6

Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Too bad you are still having problems. Mine has been to the range 3 times since it came home from Yonkers. It has performed flawlessly. I shoot my own reloads (JHP and FMJ round nose) all said at the risk oh jinxing it's performance. Hope yours improves soon.
Shoot my own reloads too - lead round nose 95 gr. bullets powered by 2.5 gr. Winchester 231 powder. A pretty mild load. Had some that had cases creased when seating the bullets during reloading.
My wife and I went to the range yesterday - the creased cases would not chamber in my wife's Bersa Thunder CC .380, but the same rounds worked fine in my Kimber. So FWIW, the Kimber chamber is looser than some. I had no problems other than the slide not staying open after the last round about half the time.

Kimber digested these just fine:

Last edited by Rumfire; 11-04-2016 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Added photo
Rumfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #7

I was also having problems with the slide not locking open on last round. That is one this they appeared to correct as it did not happen at all yesterday.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #8

When I got home last night, I broke down the Micro for a cleaning and inspection. One thing I noticed is the guide rod spring seems softer than the one I had in it when I sent it to Kimber. According to the repair report they changed it.

Upon reassembling, I notice a distinct "sticking point" when cycling the slide. I checked my M9 and it has a similar stiffness at same point but not nearly as hard to complete the slide cycle as the 380. Also checked the Ultra Carry and it is smooth as butter with no noticeable change in resistance while cycling.

This morning I took the 380 down again, removed the guide rod and barrel and then placed the slide back on. It is super free till about half way through the cycle range, then gets really stiff. Not in a sticking way but is definitely enough to absorb some of the energy from a fired round cycling the slide. Upon further inspection, the point of stiffness is the rear edge of the slide touches the edge of the hammer. It's like they are rubbing with enough force to move the slide upward in the slide groove.

Are any of you other Micro 380 owners experiencing this ? I remember reading about another member that dropped their Micro and the slide would not cycle all the way back.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #9

Originally Posted by TGLeBlanc View Post

Upon reassembling, I notice a distinct "sticking point" when cycling the slide. I checked my M9 and it has a similar stiffness at same point but not nearly as hard to complete the slide cycle as the 380. Also checked the Ultra Carry and it is smooth as butter with no noticeable change in resistance while cycling.

This morning I took the 380 down again, removed the guide rod and barrel and then placed the slide back on. It is super free till about half way through the cycle range, then gets really stiff. Not in a sticking way but is definitely enough to absorb some of the energy from a fired round cycling the slide. Upon further inspection, the point of stiffness is the rear edge of the slide touches the edge of the hammer. It's like they are rubbing with enough force to move the slide upward in the slide groove.

Are any of you other Micro 380 owners experiencing this ? I remember reading about another member that dropped their Micro and the slide would not cycle all the way back.
Well.. If I operate the slide with the hammer already cocked it will do as you describe as it pushes the hammer down a further 1/16th inch or so. However when operating normally the hammer will start to cock as soon as the slide starts its rearward travel, and there isn't that point of stiffness as it nears the end of its travel.
Rumfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #10

Mine also moves the hammer down about 1/16". Didn't try with hammer uncocked.

I'm assuming that if I continue to shoot it will eventually breakin maybe ??