Micro 380 Issue - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #1

Micro 380 Issue

Good Morning Everyone,

I decided to start a separate thread on something I discovered last night after reading through a bunch of threads and then going back to check some things on my Micro.

First, I verified that I had the updated slide stop with the small groove for the spring, which I did. I then checked the action of the slide stop in two different scenarios:

#1 - Slide Stop engaged with slide back in open position and no magazine. When I move the slide back the slide stop disengages (as it should).

#2 - Slide Stop engaged with slide back in open position and a loaded magazine in. When I move the slide back, the slide stop DOES NOT disengage consistently. Sometimes, if I double cycle the slide backwards it will disengage, but still its sluggish to do so. It appears the round in the magazine is nudging against the slide stop preventing it from disengaging. If I push on the slide stop pin slightly to move the stop a bit outward (as in trying to push it out) it disengages perfectly.

I'm wondering if what I have been thinking was a FTF is actually the slide stop engaging. I never checked for that. In comparing the spring tension of my M9 to the M380, the M9 Slide Stop spring tension is much greater. So, I called Kimber CS this morning and described this to them and asked if they could send me a new slide stop spring, which they agreed to do.

Will give an update when it gets here and I get it installed and try it out. I'm also attaching a pic of the slide stop (inside view). It does seem to protrude out a bit and I can see where the round in the magazine could be snuggling up to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 4.jpg (92.2 KB, 20 views)
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #2

I have noticed with the new slide stop design that it is easy not to get it set right. If you push up on the slide stop with the slide closed you should be able to feel the spring tension pushing it down. If the spring isn't set in the stop correctly you won't feel that spring resistance.
Geared4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:05 PM   #3

Comparison Pic of a New Micro 380

On my way to a meeting this afternoon, I stopped at the GM where I bought my Micro to look at another new one to compare to the pic I posted in the first post of this thread. Unfortunately this pic is not as clear as the one of my gun, but doesn't the indentation of the frame to the right of the slide stop look different on this new M380 ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GanderNew380.jpg (70.7 KB, 13 views)

Old 11-07-2016, 07:46 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Geared4me View Post
I have noticed with the new slide stop design that it is easy not to get it set right. If you push up on the slide stop with the slide closed you should be able to feel the spring tension pushing it down. If the spring isn't set in the stop correctly you won't feel that spring resistance.
Hi Geared4me
Yes, last night I was thinking I might have not been inserting the slide stop correctly, and/or it might have been the earlier version that did not have the small groove for the spring end to seat in. I verified that the slide stop was correct one thanks to some pics posted by another member and also that I was installing it correctly.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:03 PM   #5

After examining my Micro when I got home and comparing it to the pic of the new Micro from today, they look identical. Also took out my Colt Mustang and it is identical also.

So..... I did some more studying. Using a black sharpie, I colored in the tips of the first and second round in a magazine and inserted, then removed to see if there were any points of contact but saw none. I tne reinserted the mag with open slide and holding the slide in that position, I moved the slide stop up and down (engaged/disengaged position) then removed the mag. WhatnI found was the slide stop was striking the second round and actually spinning it in the magazine when moving the slide stop up and down. Imalso noticed that when inserting a loaded mag, the slide stop would slightly move upward then back down in the disengaged position.

Removed the slide stop and examined with a magnifying glass and could see (and feel) a burred edge. Took one of my wife's emory boards and smoothed out the burr then tried it all again.

Now, with a locked open slide, when I insert a loaded mag and cycle the slide, it releases as it should. Guess its time to go back to the range and do some shooting. Bought some Frog Lube today after reading a KT members testimonial and lubed it up for my next range trip.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #6

Good sleuthing! Here's hoping that does the trick.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:37 PM   #7

Originally Posted by TGLeBlanc View Post
Removed the slide stop and examined with a magnifying glass and could see (and feel) a burred edge. Took one of my wife's emory boards and smoothed out the burr then tried it all again.
I love a story with a happy ending. As is the case with so many things in life, if you want it done right, do it yourself.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:26 AM   #8

Update From Last Week

While waiting on my new slide stop spring (I was out of town all week till yesterday), I checked the M380 with Remington 94gr FMJ (round nose) and it seemed to work fine..... no issues with the slide stop hitting the second round in the magazine. I tried the 100gr FM ammo I had just bought and the second round was actually moving the slide stop up very slightly. Moving the slide back far enough to where I could lock it open, then moving the slide stop lever, I could feel resistance at the lower end of the movement range.

With a magazine removed and slide held open to the point where the slide stop could engage, when I moved the slide stop up and down, it felt spongy soft, like it had insufficient tension on it and would not totally seat in the down/unlocked position.

Got home yesterday and the new spring was waiting so I was eager to install it and see what differences would result. Its a bit of a booger to get the old one out, but fortunatly I had gotten a set of piks and precision tweezers that were a tremendous help. Removed the old spring but also noticed the position in the groove looked suspect. On the spring, the end that slides into the hole to secure it in place has a flat notched spot on it. The hole also has a squared edge at the bottom. When I first started, I tried installing in the same position it came out, but could not get it to go in. Backed off, looked at it closer with my jewelers magnifying glass with light and could see where the flat spot on the spring had to be positioned to line up with the squared edge of the hole. Basically the straight end that seats in the slide stop will be pointing at around the 4 oclock position. I placed some tape on the gun in that area to prevent a scratch when I needed to roll in into the groove. Needed at least one more hand but finally got the spring slipped into position. It definitely had more tension on it. Put the slide stop back on and it would snap back in unlocked position as I had hoped (like my M9 & Mustang). Placed the slide back on and tried again with slide locked open, put a loaded mag with Remington fmj and pulled the slide back and slide stop snapped back in unlocked position with a noticeable "snap"..... Yowza !!

Headed to range later today to see how it does.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #9

I hope that does it!
Old 11-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #10

I just took a look at my 380, and BTW it wasn't easy getting this shot! I think mine looks like yours, so is it normal or a problem? I have an RMA ready to go for the morning. I probably shouldn't worry about it at this point since it's going back to Kimber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_4e4.jpeg (750.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by starnovi; 11-14-2016 at 03:06 PM.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote