Range Report Micro 380, Micro 9, UC2 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #1

Range Report Micro 380, Micro 9, UC2

Well, I usually get to the range at least once a week, but it's been 3 weeks since my last time out. I went to a brand new range that just opened this week in Peachtree City, On Target Gun Range. 10 pistol lanes, 6 rifle lanes with a large retail area. Meggitt target retrieval system, but not the one with the computerized training programs. I've mentioned before that I am 5' tall...I could not reach the clips to put my target up! I don't like that, the only other place I've had this problem is at Autrey's Armory in Fayetteville. I have to either get a RSO or my shooting neighbor to help me every time a target goes up or down. Oh well.

First up my UC2 sapphire, I love this pistol, shoots amazing, never have problems with it and it shot flawlessly today too. 75 rounds Blazer Brass 124 gr.

2nd up Micro 9 shot 75 rounds Blazer Brass 124 gr without any failures and did not get hit anywhere with ejections. What I did notice is that I do not like having my pinkie finger hanging. I hope the Kimber extended mags will be available soon.

3rd and this one wasn't all that great, the Micro 380. Let me say, that I really like this pistol, I like the look, the feel, the way it shoots with such low recoil. With the extended mag if fits well and is easy to hold on to.

I shot 50 rounds of Federal 95 gr FMJ and had 5 failures. I think it has to do with the ejections, I had 2 ejections that got pushed into the breech by the next round. The other 3 failures did eject, but they caused the next round to misload and were wedged nose up at the breech. I think when it is ejecting it's clipping the next round??? What do you think? I'm not giving up on this pistol, but I am calling Kimber on Monday and if it needs to go back again, so be it but I hope they can correct it this time. I was bombarded by ejections to the top of the head, the forehead, eyeglasses, and cheek. This did not happen with the M9 or UC2.

I forgot to take pictures, the new range is very impressive looking and people are friendly. My favorite range is still Sharpshooters USA in Roswell. If any of you Georgians are ever up for an outing, I'd like to give Stoddard's in midtown a try. They are supposed to the computerized Meggitt system there, it's interactive and fun to train on.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Tinman and 5 others like this.

Last edited by starnovi; 11-11-2016 at 03:50 PM.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #2

Nice range report. Snowtao wants to shoot my Sapphire Ultra again, didn't remember you had one. El wants to buy a Sapphire real bad.
Chuck43 and Ice-and-Snow like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #3

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Nice range report. Snowtao wants to shoot my Sapphire Ultra again, didn't remember you had one. El wants to buy a Sapphire real bad.
I told her in another thread that she could shoot mine, but she never responded. I think she likes you better than me!
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and Ice-and-Snow like this.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

Originally Posted by starnovi View Post
I told her in another thread that she could shoot mine, but she never responded. I think she likes you better than me!
No, maybe she just didn't see the other post.

She has a lot of irons in the fire.
Chuck43, Ice-and-Snow and starnovi like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #5

I'd send the .380 back again and ask that it be replaced! I'm getting a failure about 1 in every 200 rounds with mine and am unhappy about it, 5 out of 50 is completely unacceptable. I'd be PI$$$$$$$ED :-)
Tinman and starnovi like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I shot 50 rounds of Federal 95 gr FMJ and had 5 failures. I think it has to do with the ejections, I had 2 ejections that got pushed into the breech by the next round. The other 3 failures did eject, but they caused the next round to misload and were wedged nose up at the breech. I think when it is ejecting it's clipping the next round??? What do you think? I'm not giving up on this pistol, but I am calling Kimber on Monday and if it needs to go back again, so be it but I hope they can correct it this time. I was bombarded by ejections to the top of the head, the forehead, eyeglasses, and cheek. This did not happen with the M9 or UC2.
When you call Kimber they will take your trouble report and send it to the gunsmith but I'd suggest you include a detailed written description of the problem your having and a picture or two of of any jams you're running into. Just tuck it into the case with the gun when you ship it off to Kimber.
starnovi likes this.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #7

A very well detailed range report and Prof. Marshall gives you an "A".

You could have had an "A+" had you included pictures....

Great job and glad the Micro 9 isn't dinging your cranium with spent shells any longer....
starnovi likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
When you call Kimber they will take your trouble report and send it to the gunsmith but I'd suggest you include a detailed written description of the problem your having and a picture or two of of any jams you're running into. Just tuck it into the case with the gun when you ship it off to Kimber.
Thanks Chuck. This might be excessive, but when I use the Micro 380 on the range, I take out a pen and pad to keep a detailed report of ammo and tally of failures by mags, which I have numbered 1-2-3. So, I pretty much have a record for each time I used the M380 since I got it back from Kimber the last time. I will put it all together and include it with the pistol and mags. The only thing I didn't do while on the range was take photos of the failures. I'm going to clean everything tonight and probably hit the range tomorrow, maybe just use the 380 and I'll get a couple of photos then.
Chuck43 and Marshall like this.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:10 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Thanks Chuck. This might be excessive, but when I use the Micro 380 on the range, I take out a pen and pad to keep a detailed report of ammo and tally of failures by mags, which I have numbered 1-2-3. So, I pretty much have a record for each time I used the M380 since I got it back from Kimber the last time. I will put it all together and include it with the pistol and mags. The only thing I didn't do while on the range was take photos of the failures. I'm going to clean everything tonight and probably hit the range tomorrow, maybe just use the 380 and I'll get a couple of photos then.
That's not excessive in my book, I call it being smart. I've been keeping notes on my guns and magazines since I started shooting.
Marshall and starnovi like this.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #10

Another trip to the range with the 380

I got back to the range today with my Micro9 and Micro 380.

9MM 50 rounds of Atlanta Ammo 115 gr fmj
no failures to load or eject, but twice on the last round the slide failed to lock back.
50 rounds Blazer Brass 124 gr.fmj
no failures at all. I did, however get hit to head a few times with some brass.

Now to the 380:
75 rounds Blazer Brass 95 gr. FMJ
Actually, started off pretty well shot about 30 rounds without any failures then I had 4 failures to chamber, and today I took pictures! I used 3 mags, two mags had 1 failure each and the last mag had 2 failures. I was getting beaned to the forehead and face constantly, my husband said my ejections where flying in front of him on the next lane.

So, I'm hoping that some of you may have some insight into my problem from the photos. They are similar to what occurred yesterday, except yesterday I had a spent cartridge lodge into the barrel and had to pry it out.

Dang, photos are sideways and upside down. First target is Micro 9, second is Micro 380. The NRA instructor told me that I was releasing my finger off the trigger after each shot and not to do that, so I'm trying not to, but every once in a while I get off a surprise 2nd shot without meaning to, so those are the wild shots you may see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2952.JPG (1.80 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2953.JPG (2.69 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2954.JPG (1.49 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2951.JPG (1.63 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2955.JPG (1.80 MB, 7 views)

Last edited by starnovi; 11-12-2016 at 03:42 PM.