Sick to my Stomach, Angry, my First Kimber is a Paperweight - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #1

Sick to my Stomach, Angry, my First Kimber is a Paperweight

So took my brand new "special edition" Sapphire Kimber Micro .380 out to the range. Took a box of PMG 90 grain FMJ.

Pistol fired the first time, but that was about it. Total nightmare...sometimes would work rapid fire, sometimes not. Most of the time the slide wouldn't return to battery....sometimes by just a little, sometimes by a lot. Didn't seem to be able to feed the cartridge into the barrel either.

Gave up after 50 rounds. Just a horrible feeling to think how much money I spent on something that doesn't work out of the box....I mean REALLY REALLY doesn't work.

Stupid me, read all the wonderful articles in gun magazines about Kimber quality....fell for it, another sucker buyer.

Have a Colt Mustang .380 that was flawless out of the box and for hundreds of rounds since. Figured Kimber was up there with Colt....WRONG....another lesson learned the hard way.

I noticed when I broke the Kimber down to clean and oil before shooting it that the recoil spring seems very very weak. Maybe someone makes stronger aftermarket springs for the Kimber .380...maybe my Colt spring assembly will fit in there somehow.

Save your limp wrist comments - I'm former LEO and USMC and have been shooting all my life.

Sad part is my favorite pistols have engraving and blue trim...guess I can keep it as a museum piece. For sure would never trust my life to it.
starnovi likes this.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #2

There's always that send it back to Yonkers option? I can appreciate it's frustrating to spend a good amount of $ and not get a functioning product. Kimber's CS is top notch though and it would be a rarity if they didn't "make it right". I'd suggest giving them a call, good luck.
starnovi likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:43 PM   #3

It's always sad to hear about common real world ownership issues with a new Kimber Micro 380. The $$$ cost of disappointments can be breath taking on range day.

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2016, 02:43 PM   #4

Hate mailing guns...nightmare and expensive...for $1,000 I shouldn't have to send anything back to anyone. Did read in a forum post that they admit the spring is worthless and send a replacement free if you call them. of course they're closed and the voice mailbox is full....I've learned over the years of buying and selling guns which manufacturer's have good marketing and poor quality and stay away from them...probably my last Kimber too.
gunnerhaze likes this.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:00 PM   #5

Riverkilt,
I too am a former LEO and have had my share of issues with KIMBER. All I can say is to send it back and they will make it right. May take a time or two but they will fix it so you love it. You're right about you shouldn't have to, but it will be worth it. Good luck and keep us informed.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
Did read in a forum post that they admit the spring is worthless and send a replacement free if you call them...
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the updated spring is made of flat wire and the updated guide rod has a fits over the barrel because there's a circular cut out in the end.
MikePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #7

They're so "popular" is why they're so busy their website says....sorry if I don't buy that. Will try to call them when they open up Monday though expect they have a flood of calls from weekend range problems. Sending the gun back is a pain in the butt and have to pay the LGS outbound and back inbound. No fun. Hopeful for an easy fix....but dang, how can a big name outfit that spends so much on marketing let junk get shipped with their name on it. Maybe they need to reroute some of the marketing money into final inspection and testing.
Markie likes this.

Last edited by Riverkilt; 11-19-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Riverkilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #8

Hey, RiverK.
Sending your Kimber back won't be expensive. They'll email you a label, and you can call UPS to pick the gun up from your house. But if you have the first generation spring, call Kimber on Monday.

If it's any consolation, my first Kimber was a POS. The one I still have is a very nice gun. Also, my Colt Government .380 (cousin to your Mustang) went back to the factory twice, and they never did make it right. That was 30 years ago, and I haven't bought a Colt since. I hear after they reorganized the operation, they now make nice guns.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #9

Welcome to Kimber Talk from a Middle Tennessean...I worked in manufacturing for several years...but after so many recalls the company tried to get the product right when shipped. Hope all works out for you....I would like to tour the Kimber Plant to see how things are done up there. We have a Kimber Micro Carry 380...about got it broke in.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #10

Before you send it back, have them send you the new guide rod and flat wire spring setup. They sent me one free just this week. That might fix all your problems.
CubfanBudman is offline   Reply With Quote