• 1 Post By cousinmark
  • 1 Post By Markie
  • 2 Post By Albert.Cairns
  • 3 Post By Chuck43
  • 2 Post By RustyIron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #1

Micro .380: Spring has Sprung!

Well, I was showing my lovely wife how to field strip and clean her Micro .380. Despite having read the Manual, she picked up the frame and popped the safety up to the ON position to clean under there with a q-tip...and sure enough, just as the Owner's Manual says it will, the safety plunger and plunger spring launched off to wherever it is that small springs and things go when they jettison forcefully out of your pistol. (Is that La-La land for guns?) Good thing it didn't hit her in the eye, that plunger and spring came flying out of there with some good degree of force! Anyway, now the pistol is inoperative. Yes, we crawled around all over the place for a good hour looking for the launched spring and plunger all to no avail. Guess I will give Kimber a call first thing Monday morning and see if they will send me a new plunger and spring. In fact, I'll ask them to send me TWO of each, and that way, I'll have them handy if it ever happens again, or in case someone here suffers the same fate and I can help out and send them on.
starnovi likes this.
druryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #2

...good post druryj, got to maintain a sense of humor :-) Glad there was no real harm done :-)
starnovi likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #3

I hate it when that happens.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #4

Watch where you step!!!!
starnovi likes this.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:19 AM   #5

You'll find them the day the new ones arrive. That's how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Markie and starnovi like this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:07 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by druryj View Post
Well, I was showing my lovely wife how to field strip and clean her Micro .380. Despite having read the Manual, she picked up the frame and popped the safety up to the ON position to clean under there with a q-tip...and sure enough, just as the Owner's Manual says it will, the safety plunger and plunger spring launched off to wherever it is that small springs and things go when they jettison forcefully out of your pistol. (Is that La-La land for guns?) Good thing it didn't hit her in the eye, that plunger and spring came flying out of there with some good degree of force! Anyway, now the pistol is inoperative. Yes, we crawled around all over the place for a good hour looking for the launched spring and plunger all to no avail. Guess I will give Kimber a call first thing Monday morning and see if they will send me a new plunger and spring. In fact, I'll ask them to send me TWO of each, and that way, I'll have them handy if it ever happens again, or in case someone here suffers the same fate and I can help out and send them on.
And that is why I broke down and bought a 30" telescoping magnetic pick up tool. It allows me to search behind and under stuff without moving it. More importantly it saves my back and knees and lets me pickup stuff that I can't even see, I just keep sweeping it across the floor.
Nellybelle, Markie and starnovi like this.

Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:28 PM   #7

Transcript of an actual phone call to Kimber Customer Service:

"Uh... hello? Kimber customer service? Yeah, well, I got this new .380, and I... uh... my wife... yeah, my wife. It was my wife, and I told her not to, but she was cleaning my gun, and she shot the spring across the room."

I bet they hear that same story every week!

Anyway, tell Mrs. Drury not to feel bad, as we've all done it. Some of us learn, and others of us don't, and we have the colorful vocabulary to prove it.

On the bright side, the shipping for the spring and plunger will cost more than the parts.

P.S.
This is a good reason to wear glasses when you're doing any kind of work. Also, as long as she has the gun that far apart, there's no reason not to just pull the safety out for a more thorough cleaning. Placing one's thumb over the safety is a good way to control its launch. When reassembling, push it all the way down with a chopstick, and then rotate the safety over the plunger. Position your hands or body (not face) over the plunger during reassembly, just in case.
Marshall and starnovi like this.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber micro 380 cleaning

kimber micro carry 380 safety plunger
Click on a term to search for related topics.