FTE and Extractor Adjustments - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #1

FTE and Extractor Adjustments

Greetings everyone !

Today I made another trip to the range with the M380. It was all cleaned up (lubed "wet") and ready for action. Upon arrival, I asked one of the guys that taught some of their courses if he'd shoot it to see if the issue might be "me". He said absolutely and came in the range with me. I explained all the things that had been going on, loaded up a mag and let him shoot it. All rounds fired/ejected as they should. We loaded up some more mags and before shooting he checked my grip. Made a few suggestions, but said I basically was ok there. On the second magazine, second round, the fired shell casing did not eject and the slide hung open (see pic). Hard to see, but the spot is just to the right of the flash reflection.

We cleared the gun and removed that shell casing. There was a distinct notch chipped out of it (attached a picture of it). We brought another guy in from the front and he looked at it and said the extractor might be "too stiff" and that it was not seating on the lip sufficiently. They went back up front and I shot a total of 60ish rounds. It was not ammo specific as I had problems with all the ammo I brought (AE, Freedom Munitions, Winchester). Also happened with all three mags (Kimber 6 & 7 and Sig 7).

When I cleaned the gun this past weekend, I performed the extractor test according to the youtube videos available. It certainly was not loose, but it would not sit exactly straight and did appear to tilt (forward end) in the same direction of the extractor as if it was sitting more on the lip than in the groove (hard to explain and I did not take a pic).

I know I could package the gun back up and send to Yonkers again, but would really like to resolve myself if possible. I think I'm going to try and adjust the extractor a little looser (less tension) and see what the result is.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome from all of you that have much more experience in tuning a 1911 type pistol than I do.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FTE - 12-7-16.jpg (76.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg shellcsng - 12-7-16.jpg (106.1 KB, 18 views)
cousinmark and starnovi like this.
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #2

Good luck with it. I watched you tube video to see if I could adjust my extractor too, but decided to just send it back to Kimber. I hope the adjustment works for you. I think we will be very happy once we get these Micro 380 over the hump or whatever it takes to get them to being reliable.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #3

If the Kimber repairmen knew what they were doing, TG, then they would be sitting at home in their comfy shoes reading KimberTalk like you and me, rather than rotting in that dank cave in Yonkers staring at their Timex watches and wishing for quitting time.

Here's a page for you to read. It will be a good place to start.

Rob

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #4

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
If the Kimber repairmen knew what they were doing, TG, then they would be sitting at home in their comfy shoes reading KimberTalk like you and me, rather than rotting in that dank cave in Yonkers staring at their Timex watches and wishing for quitting time.

Here's a page for you to read. It will be a good place to start.

Rob
LOL ! Couldn't agree more... Thanks a bunch for the article. It was very beneficial.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:29 PM   #5

Armed with the article RustyIron sent, I began checking the extractor out. When placing an empty bullet casing in the slide, it would not seat flush on the breach. The forward edge of the extractor sits up on the beveled edge. I tried adjusting by putting more "bow" of the extractor and could get it close to a point that would enable the round to sit flush but not to a point shown in the diagram in the extractor tuning article. If I remove the firing pin/extractor retainer i can slide the extractor rearward just a bit and then can get the optimum seating as indicated in the article.

I'm gonna give Kimber CS a call and see if they will send me a new extractor. They've been great so far, except the part where I sent it to them to try and get it tuned

In reading some of the other members repair reports, it seems the first trip to Yonkersland gets the guide rod and spring changed, chamber reamed and barrel polished.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #6

... good article Rob and topic TG. I have a general question on the matter. With my Micro I've noticed that the extractor wiggles a little? When I pull the firing pin stopper plate the ejector will just slide out if I tip the slide up. I get pretty good function, maybe a failure every few hundred rounds and not always a failure to eject. I don't believe I've ever had a failure prior to 30ish rounds into a session. This pistol had been sent in for a "spa day" and if I recall correctly they did adjust the extractor as well as the usual other stuff. I'm in FL this week so I can't look at her till I get home.
...Is a "wiggly extractor" any cause for concern?
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #7

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
... good article Rob and topic TG. I have a general question on the matter. With my Micro I've noticed that the extractor wiggles a little? When I pull the firing pin stopper plate the ejector will just slide out if I tip the slide up. I get pretty good function, maybe a failure every few hundred rounds and not always a failure to eject. I don't believe I've ever had a failure prior to 30ish rounds into a session. This pistol had been sent in for a "spa day" and if I recall correctly they did adjust the extractor as well as the usual other stuff. I'm in FL this week so I can't look at her till I get home.
...Is a "wiggly extractor" any cause for concern?
Interesting, hopefully someone can chime in with an opinion. I noticed that as I put more arc (tension) on mine, it would be a little harder to push back into the slide. The extractor had virtually no arc to it at all when I removed it, but there was no play/wiggle to it though.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #8

Like I mentioned the pistol runs almost flawlessly? It makes me wonder though because with my PRO CDP II the extractor has tension, to remove it I need to get the edge of a small screwdriver on it to coax it into the channel. That pistol runs flawlessly. I'm thinking the Micro will get some attention when I get home and I'll look at that area more closely. I think you've got to keep the gunk factor in mind too with Micros. The parts and tolerances are much smaller than the 9mm so there's more potential for extractor function being affected by residue.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:17 AM   #9

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Like I mentioned the pistol runs almost flawlessly? It makes me wonder though because with my PRO CDP II the extractor has tension, to remove it I need to get the edge of a small screwdriver on it to coax it into the channel. That pistol runs flawlessly. I'm thinking the Micro will get some attention when I get home and I'll look at that area more closely. I think you've got to keep the gunk factor in mind too with Micros. The parts and tolerances are much smaller than the 9mm so there's more potential for extractor function being affected by residue.
CousinMark, have you had a chance to look at your extractor on the Micro ?

I took mine back out on Sunday and did some more studying & adjusting. Unfortunately, I did not snap a picture when I first started but the attached picture shows the result of adding more tension. This is absolutely the best I could get the empty round to fit with respect to trying to get a flush fit against the breach. Unfortunately though, after re-assembling and trying to cycle rounds, they would not chamber. Each round would bind when trying to slide up the feed ramp and into the extractor meaning there was too much tension. If you notice in the pic, the forward facing edge of the extractor claw is hitting the beveled edge of the round, and its also sitting all the way down in the valley. Last night I checked the extractor on my M9 and it looks distinctly different (smaller actually ??) in terms of the claw and height of the claw edge.

I contacted Kimber CS last week and they are sending me a new extractor. I will update this thread with some comparison pics when I get it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ExtractorView.jpg (108.6 KB, 22 views)
starnovi likes this.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:17 PM   #10

Interesting thread about extractor function and adjustment. My Micro 380 has been perfect lately, but knowledge about such repairs can some day be invaluable.
RustyIron likes this.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

adjusting the extractor.on a kimber cdp

extractor for kimber micro 9

fte and extractor adjustments

kimber cdp failure to eject

kimber micro 9 extractor

kimber micro 9 extractor adjustment

kimber micro 9 tuning

kimber micro fte

Click on a term to search for related topics.