Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike240
  • 1 Post By sawman556

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #1

Kimber 380 - Slide Lock Back Issue

I recently purchased a 2015 model Kimber 380. Shoots great, feels great but the majority of the time, the slide will not lock back after last round. I have read topics on this forum & called Kimber & they sent me the new style recoil spring & guide rod which I replaced. I also bought another new Kimber 7 round mag. When racking the slide on an empty mag, the slide lock engages fine, so I'm wondering what else it could be. Going to keep it, just want it working properly.
johnl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #2

Something is not allowing the follower to engage the slide stop strong enough to lock the slide back. Tell Kimber to send you another slide stop. See what that does.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #3

If the slide fails to lock back after firing the last round, one or more of the following occurs:

Magazine spring too weak to get the follower up hard and or fast enough to pressure the lobe of the slide stop up into the slide's slide stop notch

The slide stop lever binds in the frame's hole due to fitment

The slide fails to come to the rear far enough for the slide stop notch to be engaged by the lobe of the slide stop lever. This due to either ammo that is too weak....OR shooter induced by failing to provide enough support for the slide to travel at speed (depriving of inertia). Hard to believe with a 380 but I have seen it.

Grip...small guns with big gun grips sometimes result in flesh contacting the slide and depriving it of energy, thus slowing it or stopping its travel.

Checks...

slide forward, insert empty mag. sling shot slide hard and fast. If slide locks back that mag is okay. If lock back fails, replace mag spring.

Shoot gun with one hand ensuring that nothing touches slide. load one round mags to save ammo. if slide locks back consistently, then correct grip. if fails, repeat with two hands ensuring no contact on slide or slide stop lever. If slide locks back, correct shooting technique. If not, look to slide stop lever and power factor of ammo

Edit..I guess I should add recoil spring stacking but given that the spring and guide rod are factory issue it should not be a problem. I would hope....
Chuck43 and DallasCMT like this.

Last edited by Mike240; 12-09-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Mike240 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #4

I wish I had read that before I fired 130+ rounds with my 7 round mag. I had 11 of 19 mags not lock back. Now I wonder if it was me. Off to slingshot my empty mag...
DallasCMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #5

It's the follower.
TheOxygenMan likes this.
sawman556 is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber 380 follower adhustment

kimber 380 slide issues

kimber micro 9 slide stop spring

kimber micro slide stop

kimber micro slide stop problems

micro 9 slide locks while firing

Click on a term to search for related topics.