Micro 380 Range Report 12-15.... Finally a good one !! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #1

Micro 380 Range Report 12-15.... Finally a good one !!

After tuning the extractor a bit, I decided to make a trip to the range and not wait till the new extractor arrived from Kimber.

Great news to report..... 140 rounds and did not have one failure to extract. Zero, Zilch, Nada !!

I did however have some failure to feed issues that I am attributing to ammo. It does not seem to like flat nose FMJ or JHP ammo apparently. It shot 60 rounds of AE round nose FMJ perfectly. When I switched to the Freedom Munition 100 gr flat nose FMJ, it would not feed the first round on both 7 round magazines (one Sig & one Kimber). I did not have this issue at all with the Kimber 6 round magazine. This also began around the 100 round mark and I did not have any more round nose ammo with me to try so the Micro will get a good cleaning and inspection tonight and be ready for another range trip that will hopefully end up as good as this one. Will bring only FMJRN ammo next time.

I'm very encouraged by these results. I'd have to go back and check notes at home, but believe I am at the 600 round range now.
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #2

Glad to hear the good report TG. I've found 95gr FMJRN ammo to be the best for the range. Although it's a much smaller sampling I've never had a failure with Hornady or Fiocchi 90gr XTP. If you can find some of that you'll have to give it a try.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #3

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Glad to hear the good report TG. I've found 95gr FMJRN ammo to be the best for the range. Although it's a much smaller sampling I've never had a failure with Hornady or Fiocchi 90gr XTP. If you can find some of that you'll have to give it a try.
I sure will. Thanks !

Old 12-15-2016, 02:53 PM   #4

Always like to read of a success story....glad everything is working out.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #5

That is great to hear, so happy for you! My micro 380 was supposed to be delivered today from Kimber and I planned to go straight to the range with it today. Instead, I got a notice from UPS that my package had been mis-sorted and would not be delivered today! No further update from them and now I am wondering if I will ever see the little pistol again!
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #6

Originally Posted by starnovi View Post
That is great to hear, so happy for you! My micro 380 was supposed to be delivered today from Kimber and I planned to go straight to the range with it today. Instead, I got a notice from UPS that my package had been mis-sorted and would not be delivered today! No further update from them and now I am wondering if I will ever see the little pistol again!
Oh no !!! With this being all the carrier's busy time (UPS/Fedex, etc) that is one reason I chose not to send mine back. Figured if I still was having problems after holidays I'd send it back then. I had sent some exhaust manifolds off my 64 Corvette to be polished and chromed back when Hurricane Katrina hit. The shop was on Gulf Coast right around Ground Zero and got totally wiped out before they could be delivered. Those manifolds went all over the East Coast (even up to Kentucky ???) before finding their way back to me, but I got them back and ended up sending them to the company's Phoenix location.

Hope your Micro finds its way back to you soon !!
starnovi likes this.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:15 PM   #7

Originally Posted by TGLeBlanc View Post
. When I switched to the Freedom Munition 100 gr flat nose FMJ, it would not feed the first round on both 7 round magazines (one Sig & one Kimber).
Doesn't using Freedom Munition void the warranty?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kimber Ammo.jpg (121.8 KB, 19 views)
trisax62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:52 PM   #8

Originally Posted by trisax62 View Post

I don't buy their Remanufactured Ammo
Old 12-15-2016, 06:17 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by trisax62 View Post

Only if you tell.... I think what they are more concerned about is a load that someone is going to work up in their basement for killing zombies and blowing up guns. Commercially reloaded ammo by companies like Freedom Munitions that is tested to meet SAMMI specs may be included in that but I doubt it will ever cause any damage that would effect your warranty. I personally have shot tens of thousands of rounds of it through my Kimbers and have never had it cause a single problem.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #10

Thanks for the info. I have a Micro on order and after reading that, I thought I'd have to change ammo. I currently use Freedom Munitions for my Beretta M9 and my wife's Bersa Thunder 380.
Chuck43 likes this.
trisax62 is offline   Reply With Quote