What are you carrying in you Micro? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #1

What are you carrying in you Micro?

I bought a Micro Raptor last week and have have been to the range once with it. Plan to go again this weekend. Anyway, my first range trip went pretty well, but not a 100%. I'm a Glock guy so I'm use to reliability. In my first range session I fired 50 rnds of Magtech FMJ's, 25 rnds of Hornady XTP's, 20 rounds of Lehigh Defense 90gr. Xtreme Penetrators and 20 rounds of Lehigh Defense 65gr. Xtreme Defense. All and all the little Micro ate everything except I had 2 FTF's with the XTP's. The slide also didn't lock back on empty one time. It seems to me the slide stop spring might be over powering the mag spring a tad, not really a huge deal, but I prefer 100%. I detail stripped the pistol, minus the trigger, clean and oiled and applied a very small amount of grease to a few areas. This seems to have smoothed up the pistol very nicely as well of dry firing a shit ton. I'm looking forward to get her out this weekend since I really love how she shoots. I just want it to run 100%.

Anywho, I'm not much of a fan of gimmic ammo but I'm thinking of carrying the 65gr. Xtreme Defense. Either the Lehigh version of the Underwood(not the +P's). My other pistols get HST's or GDHP's, but I don't have much confidence in JHP's in the .380. From what I can tell, the Xtreme Defense penetrates, and that's what I'm looking for. Is it any better than ball? I don't know, but I feel the solid copper design trumps the softer lead in a traditional FMJ, plus the ME is higher.

So, is anyone else carrying the LDXP's or LDXD's? If not waht are you carring in your Micro and why?

*sorry for the long post
RustyIron and starnovi like this.
sawman556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-16-2016, 09:17 AM   #2

Hornaday critical defense. Both of the wife's micros are stoked with them. By the way does your micro have the new flat coil spring and guide rod?
Markie and starnovi like this.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:27 AM   #3

I use Freedom Munitions XTP as my defensive ammo since it is almost identical to Hornady XTP and much less expensive to test at the range. So far, I do not think I have encountered any failures with the FM XTP ammo, but have had plenty of failures with ball ammo. I have fired a little over 1400 rounds through the gun with perhaps 200 of that being the FM XTP.
starnovi likes this.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #4

I use 95 grain American Eagle or Blazer Brass FMJ and 105 gr Remington Golden Saber JHP.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Hornaday critical defense. Both of the wife's micros are stoked with them. By the way does your micro have the new flat coil spring and guide rod?
Yes, my Micro came with the new guide rod and flat spring. I'm looking to order a few more recoil springs from Kimber, but it seems they are out of stock. Hopefully they will have some after the new year so I can order them with a handful of magazines. I'm thinking of switching out the safety, i don't have the need for the ambi. My new G10 grips should be here today or tomorrow!
Old 12-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #6

I use the Fiocchi Extrema 90gr XTP, the tests I've seen put it in the top few options and my Micro digests it well.
Out of curiosity how do you like the trigger on the Micro as compared to your Glocks?
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:17 AM   #7

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
I use the Fiocchi Extrema 90gr XTP, the tests I've seen put it in the top few options and my Micro digests it well.
Out of curiosity how do you like the trigger on the Micro as compared to your Glocks?
I like the trigger since it's smoothed up from dry firing. Light years better than the LCP trigger I had. I never really liked Glock triggers, it's something I got use to over time. I shoot the well now. It's tough to beat the 1911 trigger. I haven't owned a true 1911 in years, probably because the one I want is like 3500 bucks!
Chuck43 and starnovi like this.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #8

I just got my 380 back from Kimber. After working on it they tested it with Federal American Eagle 95gr. FMJ and Barnes TAC-XPD 80gr. JHP. I am going to give both of these ammos a try.
Markie likes this.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:08 PM   #9

Hornady Custom XTP. Runs great and the narrower shape of the bullet allows for reliable feeding.

RRT, EMT-P
TheOxygenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #10

I'll second that, O2 man. I carry Hornady XTPs over 3.1 of Titegroup in nickel plated Starline brass.
TheOxygenMan likes this.
Bobtuba is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

can i dryfire my kimber micro 9 pistol

does it hurt to dry fire a kimber micro 9

kimber micro 9 extended slidestop

Click on a term to search for related topics.