Micro Carry Safety On While Racking Slide - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #1

Micro Carry Safety On While Racking Slide

Hey guys! Merry Christmas. I have a question about my micro carry 380 that I just picked up this morning. I am trying to rack my slide with the safety in the on position, and the slide will only go back a smidge, then stops. I cannot rack the slide. Is this normal? I was under the impression that you can rack the slide on these pistols, with the safety "up", in the on position. I can do this on my M&P Shield 9mm. I'm stumped. Hopefully, this is normal. I do love this micro carry though. Built like a tank!
Trump1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-24-2016, 02:15 PM   #2

The slide will only function with the safety down. I don't own that model, but I am sure that it's right. The Shield is setup differently and yes you can load and unload the shield safety engaged.

I forgot to ask where the hammer was when the safety was on? If it is cocked/toward the rear I believe the slide should still move.

Last edited by Bonjorno2; 12-24-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Bonjorno2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #3

If the hammer is back then the slide will rack with the safety on. If thr hammer is forward, then the safety has to be disengaged. When I'm loading mine I always take the safety off before inserting the magazine and I rack the slide to get the hammer back. Then I engage the safety, insert the magazine, and chamber a round. That way you can chamber with the safety engaged. When unloading, I drop the magazine leaving the safety engaged. Then I rack the slide extracting the round in the chamber and check to make sure the mag well and chamber are completely empty, all while leaving the safety on. So basically, by doing that, there is never a round in the gun without the safety also engaged until I'm ready to disengage the safety and fire a round.
Tejun, cousinmark, Mini Me and 1 others like this.
shockfinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2016, 03:47 PM   #4

Originally Posted by shockfinder View Post
If the hammer is back then the slide will rack with the safety on. If thr hammer is forward, then the safety has to be disengaged. .
this, yes
Mini Me likes this.
I'm a 1911 addict -- GI CCO 9mm, WC Sentinel Compact 9mm, WC ULCC 9mm, WC Professional 38 super, WC Stealth 38 super, WC Bobtail Professional 9mm, DW CCO 38 super, DW CBOB 38 super, Kimber Ultra Aegis 9mm and a little Sig P938
azguy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #5

Thank you fellas, and merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Trump1, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introduce yourself to the membership?
Old 12-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Trump1, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introduce yourself to the membership?
Sure! I can do that.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #8

I would just like to confirm the proper loading sequence utilizing the safety.

Pistol cleared, safety off, insert empty mag and rack slide. Slide will remain open due to it being empty.

Safety placed on "up" position, then drop mag out. Load mag and insert, slingshot slide to load chamber. Drop mag out and top off, then reinsert. Pistol is fire ready at this point.

And this is if you care to have the safety engaged for loading. Sound right ?
Old 12-24-2016, 10:31 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Trump1 View Post
I would just like to confirm the proper loading sequence utilizing the safety.

Pistol cleared, safety off, insert empty mag and rack slide. Slide will remain open due to it being empty.

Safety placed on "up" position, then drop mag out. Load mag and insert, slingshot slide to load chamber. Drop mag out and top off, then reinsert. Pistol is fire ready at this point.

And this is if you care to have the safety engaged for loading. Sound right ?
Sounds right to me. I like the safety on as I chamber a round. Merry Christmas!
sawman556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:40 PM   #10

My safety doesn't click into the one position with the slide forward/hammer back as crisply as it does when the hammer is forward or the slide is locked back. I'm pretty certain this is nonissue which I noticed while dry firing a million times. Anyone else notice this???
sawman556 is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
how to rack kimber 1911

safest way to carry the kimber micro 9

Click on a term to search for related topics.