Kimber Micro .380 Magazine Spring Experiment - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #1

Kimber Micro .380 Magazine Spring Experiment

Okay...so my last experiment went well. I utilized SIG P238 flat wound recoil springs in my Micro. So far so good. I think I have somewhere near 450-500 rounds on the first one so far, and no hiccups at all.

So I was at the range over the weekend, and of course (as many people have complained) my 7 round magazines are beginning to not lock back anymore. I'm thinking this is due to with the weak magazine springs Kimber is putting in their 7 round mags. KIMBER FIX THIS SHIT! Anyways, I am going to purchase a Wolff +5% extra power magazine spring for the Colt Government .380 7 round magazine. I will let everyone know how it goes.
Chuck43, starnovi and shockfinder like this.

RRT, EMT-P
TheOxygenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-27-2016, 07:02 PM   #2

Great trial! We'll be waiting to hear how those Wolf spring work. Although, I've never experienced any such problem with my mags as you have.
TheOxygenMan likes this.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:58 PM   #3

Springs are on the way, hopefully I'll have a range report posted within the next week or so.
starnovi likes this.

RRT, EMT-P

Old 12-28-2016, 05:24 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Have you tried breaking down the magazines and cleaning them? Over the years I've found new magazines with bits of crap in them.
2sharp2, starnovi and TheOxygenMan like this.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #5

Are you using the old guide rod or new one with the Sig recoil spring? What's the lbs. of the Sig spring? Does it fit ok?
TheOxygenMan likes this.
sawman556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #6

To answer Chuck and Strawman's questions:

Chuck, the magazines were clean as a whistle. I got about 30 rounds in and that's when they began to stop locking back after the last round was fired. In a few instances where the slide failed to lock back, I immediately began racking the slide with the mag still locked into place and the slide would still fail to lock back. Only after about 5-7 slide racks would the slide eventually lock back into place. This happened on both magazines which I keep loaded at all times for CCW. The magazine springs have taken a considerable set since I have kept them loaded. Rounds load very easily into the mags and the mag spring is considerably less springy than they were when new. Hopefully the extra power springs will resolve the problem, which I really think they will.

Strawman, The springs I ordered from SIG are the P238 recoil springs. The ones I ordered come in a pack of 3 recoil springs and 3 firing pin springs. They are the flat wound springs. My Micro comes installed with the newer guide rod. My guess is the SIG recoil springs would be around 10-11 lbs. It's definitely more weight than the stock Kimber spring. The P238 recoil spring is a drop in fit and I have had no malfunctions (FTEs, FTFs, Stovepipes, etc.) in regards to the recoil spring so far. I am quite pleased with its performance.
Chuck43 and cousinmark like this.

RRT, EMT-P
Old 12-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #7

Here's the SIG P238 flat wound recoil spring installed in my Micro just in case you wanted a visual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slide.jpg (33.8 KB, 36 views)
starnovi likes this.

RRT, EMT-P
Old 12-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #8

Originally Posted by TheOxygenMan View Post
Here's the SIG P238 flat wound recoil spring installed in my Micro just in case you wanted a visual.
Thanks! Please let us know when you try the mag springs.
TheOxygenMan likes this.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:02 PM   #9

I am not going to post a giant paragraph, but in short. Don't waste your time with the Wolff +5% Power Colt Government .380 7 round magazine springs. Did not fit well and WEAKER than the Kimber spring. EPIC FAIL!!!! hahaha!
Chuck43, starnovi and bgdv1 like this.

RRT, EMT-P
Old 01-03-2017, 09:53 PM   #10

Originally Posted by TheOxygenMan View Post
I am not going to post a giant paragraph, but in short. Don't waste your time with the Wolff +5% Power Colt Government .380 7 round magazine springs. Did not fit well and WEAKER than the Kimber spring. EPIC FAIL!!!! hahaha!
That sucks, I was hoping to get one of those for my 7 rounder. I got the Wolff Colt Mustang 6rnd mag springs and they work great. A good bit stronger, but a full mag still has plenty of room to compress. I only have one 6 round mag, but I have 3 more on the way. I got one mag spring with the Mustang spring pack and bought another 3 pack. You do have to tweak the top coil with two pairs of needle-nose pliers, but they fit great. I'll post pics.
TheOxygenMan likes this.

Search tags for this page

kimber 380 follower adhustment

kimber micro 380 magazine

kimber micro 380 weak recoil spring

kimber micro carry 380 weak recoil spring

Click on a term to search for related topics.